It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2007, 06:09 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

innerstrength86 HB User
Regulating period, Metformin?

I haven't had my period in over 2 years. In the past (for about 5 years) I have been on several different birth control pills (and still no period). My doctors (endocrinologist and genecologist) think it's PCOS, and I may have insulin resistance.

My first question is, How do you know you have insulin resistance? My endo seemed pretty sure I do (my labs show prediabetes) but my gene says there is no test and no way to know. How did you get a diagnosis?

My second question is, Did Metformin regulate your menstrual cycle? Is that the only drug that can/does? I am really up to trying anything to be "normal" again.

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-08-2007, 06:39 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User
Re: Regulating period, Metformin?

I would go with what your Endo tells you. I'm not sure of how they can tell exactly, but I'm sure it has to do with your symptoms, and then how your glucose levels show on lab work.

I've been taking Metformin since March. I can't take the pill anymore because it gave me pulmonary emboli. I've since had an endometrial ablation so I don't get my periods anymore. But after I started the Metformin my cycles went from 35+ days to 28 exactly. First time in my life I had ever had a 28 day cycle.

It's worth a shot, and it also has helped me lose over 20lbs.

Good luck!!
PCOS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

innerstrength86 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply!

Metformin gave you pulmonary emboli??? Oh my gosh! I hope you're okay, and I also hope that's not the case...I am still recovering from blood clots/PE/SE I had in April due to birth control pills.

Thanks again! I'll have to see what my endo says!

Old 09-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User

No no no, the birth control pills gave me the blood clots which is why I couldn't take them anymore.
PCOS

Old 09-12-2007, 08:00 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

innerstrength86 HB User

Yay! I started Metformin yesterday! I'm so excited, looking forward to getting my period back...I hope I don't get let down!

I have to admit, the pills are monsterous, I was a little intimidated. I'm starting with one pill a day for a week, then adding an additional pill each week until I get on 4 a day. (is that how much people usually take? seems like a lot)

I wonder how long it takes to "kick-in"; it has been over two years without a period I don't want to wait much longer!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
(female)

noname12345 HB User

I've been on Metformin for a year now, and it hasn't regulated me. I've only had 4 periods in that year and all were sparked by Provera. Metformin doesn't work for everyone unfortunately

Old 09-13-2007, 07:22 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

innerstrength86 HB User

Aw, sorry to hear that noname. I wonder what it'll take (if anything)...

I have to say though, I've been in much better mood since starting it! I have more confidence and self-esteem (I've accepted the weight I've gained), it's so strange, but definitely a good change! So far I've noticed that I sleep much better and I'm not as thirsty through out the day, nor do I get up in the middle of the night to get some water or go to the bathroom.

Hang in there! I hope things get better for you!

Closed Thread