It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 02:54 AM   #1
(female)

LovelyOne HB User
just diagnosed, I have other med problems so i cant take metformin

Basically I have fatty liver, gallstones, kidney infection, low "good" cholesterol, and type 2 diabetes. I have just been diagnosed with PCOS but if I take metformin i have a highly increased chance of having lactic acidosis (death usually occurs), I can't take birth control or progesterone/provera/etc because of my circulation in my body (from the type 2 diabetes) and I would really not rather have a blood clot. And I have extremely thick endometrium and I have not had my period since February I'd say. I've tried losing weight but it's just not happening (exercise and dieting) so I guess my question is, what route would you take in order to have your period? Can I take birth control for a month and then stop? Will this reduce my risk of having blood clots or a heart attack? I am definately not touching metformin, the side effects are keeping me away and id rather never menstrate and get endometriosis than take those horrid pills.
Does anyone know a holistic way of menstrating?

Old 09-14-2007, 05:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

innerstrength86 HB User
Re: just diagnosed, I have other med problems so i cant take metformin

From what I understand (I'm far from being an expert, so bare with me), Metformin is the "only" thing that can correct all these issues. I was on birth control and it didn't do anything but suppress issues related with PCOS and give me blood clots. I am now on Metformin with the hopes of regaining my life back, period too, but there are no guarantees.

If I were you, I wouldn't mess with birth control. If you are overweight and have diabetes, you're almost sure to get blood clots. I think Provera would be the way to go...my doctor recommended it to me, and I have tried it before, but it didn't do anything because my lining was not thick enough to shed. If yours is thick enough (that's usually case), I think the doctor would suggest Provera. I don't know all the risks associated with it, but I'm pretty sure it's a better alternative than birth control.

Obviously I don't want to give you bad advice, so talk with your doctor about your concerns. I really hope things start looking up for you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2007, 01:50 PM   #3
(female)

aspidites HB User

Hi, just wanted to let you know that I also have fatty liver which is caused from PCOS, I am insulin resistant and reactive hypoglycemic, and have low good cholesterol, and thyroid, as well as adrenal and neuro problems. I take metformin and when I first took it about 12 years ago it was a horrid experience and I would never take it again. I am now on Metformin ER and it is not as bad. I have adjusted to feel fine on 2 a day 1000mg after about 4 mos. and I feel ok. I am also on thyroid meds and working on dealing with the neuro stuff so I feel pretty good considering everything. It has cut my triglycerides in half on one and even more on 2. If you are afraid of the metformin, talk to your doctor and see if they can prescribe that and maybe you can even start with half a pill a day 250mg. Most docs start on 500mg but the holistic MD's start with 250. Maybe you would do better that way. The side effects of the birth conrol pills have always been worse for me than the metformin. It is probably better (in my opinion), to take the metformin and regulate triglycerides, sugar, cholesterol, and hormones (which it is doing for me) and also this will give you regular cycles, I have one every month to month and a half now. I used to only have one every 6 to 12 months. Which of your problems causes you the most fear of taking metformin?? I would find a doctor who is very experienced with PCOS, and willing to work with you. Good Luck. Keep us posted!!!

Old 10-04-2007, 03:47 AM   #4
(female)

LovelyOne HB User

Metformin causes lactic acidosis which is an underlying process of rigor mortis and it's fatal. The chances of getting lactic acidosis are greatly increased if you have heart disease, kidney problems, and liver disease (which as of right now I have all 3). Along with this I still have to get gallbladder surgery...sometime so I am extremely anxious to take this medication. This crap has a very bad side effect and for healthy people it doesn't seem to cause any problems.........

Old 10-04-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
(female)

aspidites HB User

I don't blame you for being afraid. I just got really sick from another medication I was taking and the symptoms were all like lactic acidosis, so I ended up in the emergency room, just to find out that it was from the other medicine, and that since it made me so sick, I was so dehydrated and my stomach was just acid, and became spastic, and now I can't eat anything much, and it has to be broth, simple carbs, etc, which of course is horrible for the PCOS, but I also stopped taking my metformin, and my liver enzymes have returned to normal (so apparently the doc was wrong when they said it was from the PCOS, cause I still have that!!!), and I don't feel so sick. I think I might stay off it for a while, and just try to lose some weight on my own, and try a diet routine that is good for PCOS. I'll let you know how all that goes. I am kind of scared to start taking it again. Maybe we can exchange info about success (hopefully) without Metformin!!!! But I still want to try to find a better doctor!!

Last edited by aspidites; 10-04-2007 at 09:41 AM.

Closed Thread