It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
(female)

LBH02 HB User
Have PCOS and Dark Patches around neck

I am 20 years old and was diagnois with PCOS about 6 months ago. All my life I've had dark patches around my neck, at first I thought I just wasn't bathing properly, I started bathing more but no progress. It was first in question when I was 14 and not getting my periods regularly. I would get about 4 or 5 a year. Then after I had my first child i got it monthly. I had an unexpected pregnancy and had an abortion. After that I had no period. A year later the diagnoised me with PCOS put me on medication and birth control. Now im trying to have a baby and nothing. Still taking my meds and dark patches are still there. I would love to wear my hair up on my wedding day without having to explain why they're there. Can anyone help me?

Old 11-12-2007, 12:59 AM   #2
(female)

amy1967 HB User
Re: Have PCOS and Dark Patches around neck

Hello lbh02,

sounds like you have a wonderful case of melasma! i also have pcos and melasma as im sure youll find most women with any hormone problem does. i have been on a 5 year mission to get rid of that crap! makes you feel like a freak at times and make up can only make it look worse. in case you dont know, heat on the area of the melasma will aggrevate it. my doc says to only use lukewarm water to wash face (my melasma is on my cheeks and some of the forehead). there is also a great peel you can have done called cosmelan. you'll would have to find a doctor to do it. i have had 2 of them and you can barely see mine if i wear a good sunscreen and use my regimen at home. what meds are you on? if you are on bcp's get off! they can make melasma worse and arent great for pcos either. look up posts on metformin and spironolactone if you havent yet. these drugs together have been my pcos miracle! they have regulated me hormonally and my weight has gone down by about 50 pounds in 2 years with no effort!

Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
(female)

LBH02 HB User

I am on Metformin and my doctors insested i take birth control, even after i informed her we are trying to have another child. This Melasma was suppost to go away slowly once i start taking my metformin and birth control. Nothing yet. Im losing hope and despretly in need of help. I cant go to the doctor as much as i wish, no insurance. Help once more.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #4
(female)

amy1967 HB User

hello again lbh02,

i am not an expert or a doctor but i do have some experience at fighting this crazy syndrome. you may want to find a new doctor. i say 2 gyno's and they said there was absolutely nothing they could do for the pcos. then i happened upon a doctor who's passion is skin but she has also become my regular md. she told me on our first visit that metformin and a drug called spironolactone will get my hormones back in shape. boy, was she right. in fact my ovaries are so stimulated i get ovarian cysts when i ovulate. but at least i ovulate!!! i am done having children (thank goodness...hee hee) but i know that if i wanted to get pregnant im sure i could. tell your doctor you dont want the bcp's and ask for the spironolactone in combination with your metformin. it may take some playing with the dosage but it's worth a try. anything is better than the pill!!! once your hormones are getting on track your melasma should start to lighten. you will probably always fight it, which is what i am finding

anyhoo, good luck. and remember just cause he's an md doesnt mean you cant disagree with him and go to some one else if you dont get the results you are after!!!!!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
(female)

Noturningback HB User

acanthosis nigricans - darkened skin on the back of the neck, under the arms, and/or in the groin area. (It looks like creased darkened skin)

I also have acanthosis nigricans. My mother would scrub my neck with rubbing alcohol to get the 'dirt' off. Of course, it does't come off!

Melasma are dark, irregular patches commonly found on the upper cheek, nose, lips, upperlip, and forehead. (They look like sun/age spots)

Google image the two - acanthosis nigricans and melasma (aka mask of pregnancy)

-----------------------

I'll speak of acanthosis nigricans since that is what I have.

Acanthosis Nigricans often a symptom of PCOS and a sign of insulin resistance. I would have a Oral Glucose Tolerance Test or Fasting Blood Glucose Test to see if you are insulin resistant. I must admit that often these tests show normal levels the first time around. My levels always come out in the normal range but, I have every other sign of insulin resistance. My GP thinks I may just be on the precipice of IR which down the road can lead to diabetes if not taken care of.

Look into books on insulin resistance and low carb dieting because that seems the best bet in regulating insulin levels. There is the ADA diet but, many, including most doctors now, believe the carb levels are too high even if the carbs are mostly complex/high fiber.

~Danielle

- Woody Allen

Old 03-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
(female)

panicPCOS HB User

This is interesting, about a week ago I found a slightly reddish/darkish patch on my right inner thigh. When you push down on it i don't feel anything weird, it's not a bruise or anything and it smooths out upon applying pressure, but it seems to fluctuate between being very dark and light randomly. Can this be the same thing? My doctor didn't say anything about it and recommended me to go to to my dermatologist. Is there something else I should be asking about? I have normal blood sugar (102 last time I tested a week ago), no diabetes, but I take glucophage for my PCOS (1500mg a day).

Last edited by panicPCOS; 03-27-2008 at 12:28 PM.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
(female)

Noturningback HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicPCOS View Post
This is interesting, about a week ago I found a slightly reddish/darkish patch on my right inner thigh. When you push down on it i don't feel anything weird, it's not a bruise or anything and it smooths out upon applying pressure, but it seems to fluctuate between being very dark and light randomly. Can this be the same thing? My doctor didn't say anything about it and recommended me to go to to my dermatologist. Is there something else I should be asking about? I have normal blood sugar (102 last time I tested a week ago), no diabetes, but I take glucophage for my PCOS (1500mg a day).

I don't know about melasma because I don't have that. You can find a picture of both these conditions through google image or wikipedia.

However, it doesn't sound like acanthosis nigricans. Acanthosis nigricans is more like a change in the pigmentation of the skin on either or all of the following areas: neck, underarm, hands/nuckles and inside of the thigh. Kind of like what chaffed skin looks like. It's not patchy looking or bumps but rather like those areas tanned or are a just a different skin color. Often it's on bending/joint areas and looks like,honestly, dirt-like.

The pictures are no doubtably better at telling the story.

~Danielle

- Woody Allen

Closed Thread