It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 02:59 AM   #1
(female)

Madhu HB User
Flax Seeds for regular periods

I came to know from one of the web sites that flax seeds, flax oil help regulate the periods. Anyone taking them ?!!

Old 01-08-2008, 12:35 AM   #2
(female)

LBH02 HB User
Re: Flax Seeds for regular periods

Where would i be able to find flax seeds in. I haven't had a period in 7 months and before that 12 months. Im despret and would like to get pregnant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
(female)

Kharma HB User

So weird, I was just telling my GYN's nurse today I eat ground flax daily.

I am not trying to conceive (I'm in my 40's) but I went in to see the Dr. end of Aug because I had missed two or three periods. I also was experiencing hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms. I thought I was perimenopasual. Hormone tests and an ultrasound showed cysts and PCOS. She wanted to put me on birth control pills to regulate my periods. I prefer not to go on BC because I've never been on them and I'm a former smoker.

I've always had period issues but never was diagnosed with anything. Pain, extremely heavy periods, big clots etc. Most of my issues were resolved when I started low carbing a couple years ago. My periods became lighter and I had much less pain. I attributed it all to low carbing. After visiting with the Dr. about my missed periods though I realized I had stopped eating my ground flax seed in the spring sometime.

I made a 'hot cereal" of them (2 tablespoons ground flax, 1/3 cup water - microwave for 1 min then add butter or cream or milk if you're not low carbing), splenda, cinnamon, etc) and would have that every morning. It fit in with my Atkins and it was good fiber. I didn't realize it was good for a natural estrogen too until I did some reading. Anyway, long story short after my checkup in Aug. I went back on my flax cereal. Within a month I had me period and it's been regular ever since. It comes either the 22nd or 23rd of each month.

Now, I don't know if it's low carbing, the flax seeds or a combination of both but whatever I'm doing is really helping to regulate things. I'm inclined to think it's the flax. You can easily do an internet search on PCOS and ground flax and do some research. I happened to have taken the flax before knowing I had PCOS but you can be sure come this summer I will not be giving it up again. And while flaxseed oil is very healthy in it's own right, you're not going to get the benefits you would from ground flax (not whole either, the body can;t break it down to get the nutrients).

Good luck if you decide to try it.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
(female)

PCOSlady HB User

I just recently started taking Flaxseed oil capsules again (about 3 days now). I had taken them a while back, but probably only a week. Not long enough to see a difference. The only reason I started taking them was b/c I heard they were great for heart health. I didn't know it will help my PCOS! I hope this is true. I'll report later if I find any changes. Are there any articles out there discussing the benefits of Flaxseed oil (or flax period) and PCOS?

Old 01-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
(female)

PCOSlady HB User
Thumbs up Re: Flax Seeds for regular periods

Kharma...after reading your post, I bought some ground flax that evening. I've been taking it daily since then in combination with flaxseed oil, multivitamin and metformin. I actually got a period with ovulation! Like you, I do low carb...but I think the flax did the trick to get things going. Thanks for the advice!

I tried the cereal recipe, but it just got a gelatenous goo. Since then I've mixed it with food. One time I even mixed it in my coffee. It's much easier to incorporate into your diet than I thought.

Bottom line...thanks for the tip!

Closed Thread