It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2008, 04:34 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User
Exclamation Long Heavy Period & Ovarian Cyst(s)?

I am having some health problems, but am not sure if this is related to my other illness or if this is something altogether different.

I have always had regular periods, every 28 days, lasting for 3-5 days. First 1-2 days are normally heavy with minor clotting & minor cramping.

Things recently have changed. My last period lasted & lasted & lasted & was super heavy — the heaviest longest period I had ever had in my 22+ years of periods (I am 33 & started at age 11). It would not stop so I called my pcp & she said to take ibuprofen. I took it a couple times & it did seem to slow it down. Then less than a week later, it started back up again. So I called again & was put on Provera (progesterone) for 10 days. I stopped bleeding 2 days into the medication, and I was relieved. Then 2 days later, it started again. This time, it is mostly all dark poop-colored brown and a bit thicker than usual. (There is no weird smell or burning or itching or pain or anything like that.) It is not like a normal period at all. And it is still happening. This morning, it's more red, and heavier.

I have been on my period for the last 27 of the last 33 days. It's nuts!

I do have a couple minor ovarian cysts that I was told would not really cause me pain or problems, but likely go away. I have had 2 positive ultrasounds, one back in August & one in February. I don't know if this could be the culprit?

I am also on prednisone & azulfidine for IBD (inflammatory bowel disease). I am not sure if the prednisone or IBD could be causing all these problems with my cycle?

Any ideas? Anyone ever have this too? Why won't the progesterone (provera) stop it? (Years ago when I went on Depo for birth control, I had a period that wouldn't go away & I went on Provera for a short time & it worked great.) Should I worry?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2008, 04:08 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User
Re: Long Heavy Period & Ovarian Cyst(s)?

Well, my PCP called me yesterday, now I am being referred to a GYN. More bills, great (I don't have insurance).

I will post when I know more....

Old 03-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Update: pcp called & told me the pelvic pain I am getting is probably due to the cysts. Seems the cyst(s) are bigger now & she told me the size: one is 4cm & one is 5cm (or it's one big 9cm? one!?!). She said something about getting in to the gyno & they will probably want to do endometrial biopsy (I think she said?). I am bummed. I thought these were no big deal, that's what I was told. I don't want to do this. It's bad enough I have the IBD stuff going on & have to have another scope up my bum, let alone this (I am a private person).

I would love any input from anyone who has gone through this before....

Old 03-11-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hi Hukleberrie: Ovarian cysts can be painful. It depends on the person. Some women have terrible pain and some women have none. It doesn't mean the cysts are bad or good. It's just a matter of size of the cyst, a person's tolerance to pain, where on the ovary the cyst sits, etc.

Most OB/GYN's just "watch" cysts under 9 or 10 cms. They will have you come in for an ultra-sound about every 6 weeks for a while to see if they are growing or shrinking.

Provera, or progesterone, usually only works short term to regulate your cycle. You may need to take it on and off throughout the rest of your child bearing years.

I know you said you were a private person, but trust me, if you have PCOS you will get used to going to the GYN pretty quickly. I'm not saying it's a joyful experience, but you do get used to it.

The reason she thought they might do the biopsy, is because of the heavy bleeding. They may want to check for endometriosis.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted. cmpgirl

Old 03-12-2008, 03:02 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

My doc seemed to think that since there were 2 medium sized cysts or 1 9cm cyst that they would want it out. I am nervous and scared about any surgery. Do they normally grow like this? In August it was just one 2.2cm cyst.

I am having a lot of pelvic/hip/low back pain that my pcp says is due probably to my cysts and compounded by my inflamed bowels. The constant period (which is worse now that I am off progesterone) is a problem too.

I was originally told this was no big deal & they just watch it, but now they are talking about other treatments. I would love any input from anyone who may have had similar problems or a 9cm cyst.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hukleberrie: If it helps at all, my sister-in-law had a cyst on her right ovary about a year ago that her doctor said was almost the size of a soda can. They scheduled surgery, they removed the entire ovary and she has not had any recurrances on the remaining one to date.

In her case the cyst was so large they had to take the entire ovary, but for smaller (10, 11 or 12cm) cysts, they can sometimes just remove the cyst itself.

Hope this answers your questions a little better. Also, about the rapid growth...yes, they can grow rapidly (or shrink) on their own.

Good luck with everything and I hope it all turns out well for you. cmpgirl

Old 03-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Well, I went to the ER due to pain, my doctor's office said if the tylenol 3s did not help my pain, to go to ER if it was severe, and my husband said I needed to go, so I did. The ER doctor said the pain was NOT from the cyst and they seemed more concerned about the constant vaginal bleeding (for the last 6 weeks). He said the cyst would not cause pain for a long period of time & that it would only be in one area, not across the whole abdomen & into the hip. (Most of my pain is in the right hip, but the cyst is actually in the left. I do have some stabby pains in the left that I do believe is due to the cyst, but I guess the constant ache & burning is maybe due to my IBD? He also said maybe my uterus could be causing some of this pain.....)

So I was just wondering if someone could explain their cyst pain, if they have had cyst pain.... Maybe it will help me figure out what is going on with my pain...

Old 03-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Well, I just went to the gyno. He said the bleeding is possibly due to my cyst(s), he is scheduling surgery. Hysterscopy D&C, and diagnostic laproscopy, he hopes he can do remove the cyst laproscopically, but may have to do a laparotomy (open surgery) due to the size. I guess it's very large (or it was a month ago- who knows how big it is now! He did do a pelvic & felt it both masses, which was very uncomfortable). I did also get the ultrasound report. It's a septated cyst, either two cysts over 5 cm each or one over 10 cm. He said it's a complex cyst & we need to make sure it's not cancer. He also said my uterus is very large & that I have a mass on the right side. (I should have asked more about that, I guess. It took me by surprise. Maybe I misunderstood what he said.) My thyroid was enlarged, I guess. But I have been tested twice for that & it came back normal both times, so I am sure that means nothing.

Anyway, I am waiting to hear when my surgery is scheduled. Because I don't have insurance, I have to apply for financial assistance for my medicaid spend down & once they have that finalized, then they will make the appt. So there is more waiting, as always.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Had the laprascopic surgery. The cyst was gone! All this for nothing! The lump on the right must be due to the IBD. Pain must be due to the IBD. Now I have this surgery pain to boot!!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #10
(female)

serenit4me HB User

Your doctor could be wrong about the pain....
Not only do i have cyst's but i am one of what the ER doctor told me is 1 in 1000 women that had a cyst explode. i will try to explain the lower abdomen pain the best i can. It seemed to be intense in one area but spread throughout the lower abdomen and when they do that push on your belly and let go quickly test, it is unbearable. The pain in the lower abdomen was due to the area being completely full of blood. Apparently a large cyst that i had on my right ovary had become so big it developed a blood vessel which attached to it. During intercourse nearly 4 days before i was rushed to the ER, i felt a pop and for 4 days following that the broken vessel kept bleeding internally into my lower abdomen. The technical term is "hemoragic ovarian cyst" They can detect this condition with a normal ultrasound. DO NOT LEAVE IT LONG. At the point where your abdomen will be so full of blood it will hurt to walk, sit, breathe, bowel movements, and all the morphine in the world won't make it go away
Best of luck and i wish it apon no one.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:17 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

I had surgery & the cyst was already gone. No cyst to cause the pain. Went to an osteopath doc who said it's my hip flexors. Makes sense with my pain.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #12
(female)

jamiemanhattan HB User

i have had polyps on my uterus which were removed with a hysteroscopy. it has caused me to bleed almost regularly as well. after about 3 weeks or so of bleeding it did get very dark like mentioned earlier. i actually have a large mass now and i'm scheduled to have another hysteroscopy in a couple weeks. fun can't wait!

i just wanted to comment on the ruptured cyst thing. i have pcos and i'm used to having stabbing pains now and again. But about a year ago it was insane! i actually started vomiting. the pain moved around so the dr at the urgent care was very confused. they sent me over to the hospital to get an ultrasound. well, after an ultrasound and a ct scan they still weren't sure. my right ovary was very "swollen". what they told me is that i probably had ruptured a cyst. now i don't know if this is correct but they told me that it can enter your blood stream like some kind of poison and that's what was making me throw up. does that make any sense at all?!

Old 05-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Jamie: Yes, it's called septicemia. It happens when infection enters the blood stream. It can be very dangerous, actually lethal, if not taken care of immediately. I would think if you were septic, they would have put you on IV antibiotics immediately and admitted you to the hospital. As far as I know they don't send septic patients home with oral anti-biotics. I'm more inclined to think the pain itself was making you vomit.

Closed Thread