It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
(female)

Italia 43 HB User
Question have PCOS but cant take metformin, anything else out there??

hey all.. 24 female.. i have pcos and hypothyroidism.. I have taken metformin 3 times already and everytime i take it i go diahrea 20 times a day.. is there anything else out there that will give the same results.. I also have insulin resistance.. i do take my synthroid everyday, but cant loose weight or get pregnant or get rid of this excessive hair all over my body.. any help would help.. thanks

Old 06-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
(female)

Rhonda72 HB User
Re: have PCOS but cant take metformin, anything else out there??

I had the same issue with the metformin, how long have you taken it? I found if I took it only 2 times a day that after about a week the side effects eased off and after even longer they went almost totally away. I too can't lose the weight or get pregnant and it has been almost 7 years of trying now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
(female)

Italia 43 HB User
Angry Re: have PCOS but cant take metformin, anything else out there??

i can only take metformin like 3 days each time i do use it.. i was on a low dose of 500 mgs once per day.. i tried metformin 4 times already and even with 3 days of taken it, Im doing diahrea 20 times a day.. i guess my pcos/insulin resistance will never go away and i will never have kids.. im such depresed about this whole issue.. i tried for 6 years now and no luck.. -i wonder sometimes if its meant for me not to have any kids or to become gay.. im so lost.. i due dress like a boy now, since i gained so much weight and have a goatee like a guy lol.. no joke.. well hope things get better for you sweety.. take care.. christina..

Old 06-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
(female)

noname12345 HB User

Ugh . . . I just posted the same thing before I saw this thread. This is the 2nd round of trying Metformin and it's not going well. I have diarrhea like you wouldn't believe. I'm only up to 1,000 mg a day right now, but am supposed to ramp up to 2,000 mg a day. I just don't know what I'm going to do. I am a teacher and will need to go off it in the fall because I can't run out of my classroom all day long.

I also asked my doctor for something else other than Metformin and she said there wasn't anything else. Ugh!

Old 06-30-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
(female)

Italia 43 HB User

hey sweety i dont blame you.. i tried metformin 3-4 times in a 10 year period, and all the same side effects.. I literally be on the toilet every 5 minutes for the entire day.. i cant do it.. then after all the diahreea my butt hurts, like burning. i guess all that wiping irritates my butt and all that diahreea.. i dont know what to do.. i got 1 suggestion, but in my case this new pcos drug caused me the same side effects as the metformin.. look into it.. my endocrinologist gave it to me 7 months ago.. its called FORTAMET ER 500 MG TABLET HOR.. This is also a pcos pill, but caused the same side effects as the metformin for me.. My endocrinologust told me that the fortamet is more tolerable then the metformin and works the exact same, but he was wrong.. Maybe you should try it and see if there is a differernce for you.. i cant even manage 500 mg of eaither drug.. same recations diahreaa constantly.. i heard that after 3 weeks of taking the metformin or the FORTAMET your body gets adjusted to it, and the diahreaa calms down a degree.. i cant even get through 3 days, let alone 3 weeks.. Do you have a thyroid issue too.. christina

Old 06-30-2008, 09:56 AM   #6
(female)

noname12345 HB User

Italia43 - nope, not thyroid issue here, just the PCOS and insulin resistance. I'm doing what I can with the metformin. I'll stay on it as long as I can. I'm just hanging in there.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #7
(female)

Italia 43 HB User

i also have PCOS/IR TOO.. TOP OF that hyopthyroidism too. its very hard.. i gave you an alternative to metformin if you want to try it or just stay on met if ya would like.. goodluck.. i certainly cant do it..

Old 07-01-2008, 02:04 AM   #8
(female)

Rhonda72 HB User

Glad to hear you are trying to get through it. Are you taking the metformin before or after you eat and how long? Sometimes I have found if I altered when I took it I didn't get as bad a reaction and I also found I had to cut almost totally out milk products while on it as well. I guess it's just a lot of trial and error. Good luck.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:27 PM   #9
(female)

HulaHoney1557 HB User

I started metformin 1 pill at night week 1, 2pills/week 2, 3 pills from then on Weeks one & two were bad, but after about 3 weeks I didn't get the side effects so bad. God bless

Old 07-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #10
(female)

uma_anne HB User

My dr. is starting me on a special brand of metformin called Glumetza that's specially formulated to prevent GI upset.

I just read on a website that "Glumetza is specially designed to release the medication in the stomach, not in the intestines (as with other metformin products). It is thought that this may decrease the intestinal-related side effects (such as diarrhea and gas)."

Anyhow, thought it was worth mentioning. I'll let you know how it works out for me.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:18 AM   #11
(female)

Italia 43 HB User

i haven't been able to get through all of the stomach related side effects with using metformin.. I am going to look into Glumetza..

Old 07-08-2008, 08:50 AM   #12
(female)

uma_anne HB User

I started the Glumetza and it isn't bad at all. I had a little gas the first few days but it subsided.

One caveat is that the Glumetza is more expensive than generic metformin. My insurance covered a little less than half the cost and I had to pay the rest. But I still think it's well worth it to avoid the crazy side effects of generic metformin.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #13
(female)

uma_anne HB User

Hi Italia 43. Just checking in - did you try the Glumetza?

Closed Thread