It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 06:41 AM   #1
(female)

nicolabee HB User
PCOS On One Ovary Only. Hormones Normal. Periods Regular. Please Advise

Hi, i went to the doctors complaining of acne and little hairs popping out of my chin, he tested my hormones levels which came back normal. He sent me for the internal ultrasound scan and it revealed my Right ovary is polycystic and is twice the size of a normal ovary. The Left ovary has no cysts and is normal size. My periodd have always been regular and i had (up until a few days ago) a copper coil/iud fitted.

I have tried researching and cant find much info about have just one polycystic ovary.

Do i have more chance of ovulating and conceiving than someone with both ovaries affected?

Will i ovulate from my left ovary every month, if ovulating at all?

i am 30 and have no children. I now want to conceive and am very frightened about all this.

Also when i had my coil removed last week it hurt and i am still cramping down my left side a week after removal, is this normal. I am worried the removal has damaged my left (good?) side

Please help if u have any advice or experience

Thanks with all my heart xxx

Old 09-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
(female)

hopscotch27 HB User
Re: PCOS On One Ovary Only. Hormones Normal. Periods Regular. Please Advise

hello, sorry i don't have any helpful advice, but would guess that if one ovary is ok our chances are pretty good :-)
i really hope it all works out for you & mr stork comes to pay you a visit soon.
i have just been told that i have PCOS, i know how you are feeling, am pretty confused & worried, guess you always assume you can have a baby when you want one.
i always put my symptoms down to other things...it all makes sense now! anyway am waffling!! good luck, have all fingers & toes crossed for you x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
(female)

ruthmaria HB User
Post Re: PCOS On One Ovary Only. Hormones Normal. Periods Regular. Please Advise

Hi nicolabee

I was just reading your entry and wanted to ask how you are getting on with finding the answers to your questions as they are exactly what I am thinking about! I'd love it if you could pass your thoughts along to me.

I've only just recently been diagnosed with PCOS after I came off the pill as we are wanting to try for a baby. My diagnosis was only picked up by pure chance after I suffered a lot of pelvic and ovarian pain around day 12-24 (which turned out to be a small ruptured cyst). My doctor tells me I'm on the "lower" end of the PCOS spectrum i.e normal periods, normal BMI, normal testosterone levels etc.

I also wanted to know is there anyone else out there that experiences of pelvic discomfort around the time they are due for ovulation and approx 7 - 10 days afterward? Since coming off the pill I get slight achy lower abdo and when I push certain areas I get a sharp pain that resolves once the pressure is removed. I get it either right across or on either side where the ovaries are located. I've never experienced that pain to last this long.

The other thing I wanted to ask is what other type of blood tests should I be getting. I've only had my testosterone & thyroid levels check. Is there anything else?

Thanks for your help Ruth

Old 04-26-2009, 05:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello ladies,

I am a 42 year old woman and I have had hirsutism all of my life (hair on the face where women don't normally have it .. over and under the chin, side of face etc..). I had most of it removed while in highschool through electrolysis. I was on the birth control pill from around age 20 until age 40 and then had to go off it due to irregular bleeding and pelvic pain. When they did an ultrasound they found my left ovary to be quite large due to an ovarian cyst that is currently around 9 cms. After going off the pill, I too began to experience painful ovulations and occasionally these sharp pelvic pains. I know exactly when I am ovulating due to these pains and sometimes have to take ibuprofen or use a heating pad as they can be quite debilitating.

I am scheduled for surgery this coming tuesday in order to remove my left ovary and tube. I am hoping that this will take care of the ovulation pains and the sharp occasional pains as well (these are like spasms). I will still ovulate from my right ovary and have decided against having that tube ligated (I don't want children) because I am afraid that I may suffer from post tubal ligation syndrome. I also figure that I have screwed things up enough by being on the pill for twenty years so now it is time to fix the problem and learn from it.

I doubt that you can have PCOS on only one ovary and I have never heard of such a thing. You will keep ovulating from the other ovary no problem so don't worry about that. The fact that you are regular is probably an indication that you are ovulating and if your right ovary is so huge you have no idea if it is ovulating (ie. you may already only be ovulating from only your left ovary).

As for the ovulation pains, many women feel their ovulation. It is called mittleschmertz or middle pain. In my case, I am doubtful because before going on the pill in my twenties, I never felt this pain so why now ? I will know more after my operation when my left ovary is no longer there.

I hope this helps you ladies and best of luck trying to conceive. I am sure you will do just fine. Try not to stress about it and just have fun trying. Stress is not a good thing in these types of situations. I know many couple who after years of trying to conceive finally adopt a child and then bam, they become pregnant.

All the best.

Estria

Old 04-29-2009, 06:30 AM   #5
(female)

pslarsen HB User

I have been dealing with woman problems for the last seven years. I am 29 years old and have been diagnosed with PCOS.

I to had regular periods. My testing came up normal, all except for the inner ultrasound. I had one big mass covering an ovary. Next test, about 2 months later, it was gone. Am on hormone therapy birth control. This started after having the start of cervical cancer at 22 years old. The dr's did have me on byeta and metformen. The byeta was injected into the stomach twice a day and really helped, it is made from the gila monster's saliva. The metformen shot my body through more destruction. They are both diabetes drugs.

The doctors said we had a 5% chance of getting pregnant and 1-3% chance on keeping the baby full term and not miscarrying. We had a healthy baby girl last may. We both thought we would be without children during this lifetime.

I have severe sharp stabbing pains in my lower center of my abdomen, especially with sex, with wiping after urination ( really deep pain ) It is on and off again. Sometimes it might last for 30 seconds, other times 2 min. It will bend me over from the pain. Painful periods, heavy heavy flow, lower back pain, always tired, no energy.
Lots of coarse black hair growing out of my face, nails growing funny, skin tags all over, hair thinning on my head, funny feeling in my hands and feet, bruises on my upper right hand of abdomen. I could go on and on. I am almost 30 years old and can't even find the energy to do normal things.

You can get pregnant. We did. We didn't use any protection for over 5 years and quit trying, When we finally did get pregnant, I thought I was really sick again or something.

I also have more testing in June. I have been to six doctors for this and they all want more testing that isn't needed or put me on this drug. Nothing has helped me so far. Try to keep good nutrition. PCOS affects insulin levels dramatically. Also, get a lot of exercise and sleep. Get onto a good hormone therapy birth control. Sometimes that can help people. Other than that, PCOS is a lifetime syndrome. You just have to manage it and its symptoms. Also, get routinely checked for type 2 diabetes. They run hand in hand.

Just hang in there!! I always feel like a terrible mother and wife. It isn't my fault. It is strange how so many of us take our health for granted.....

Old 05-01-2009, 11:42 PM   #6
(female)

nicolabee HB User

hi ladies, thanks for your responses. i wrote this post last year after just finding out about having pcos, heres whats happened thereafter.

after finding out about pcos i was sent to see a gynae consultant as i want to conceive a child. first appointment he sent me for natural tracking, which is basically the internal 'stick inside' ultrasound again. he wanted me to have it a few times over a few days to see if an egg was ovulating etc. typical nhs would only give me one scan and it wasnt even on the right day so the excercise was fruitless. I had day 21 blood tests also over 2 months, the first came back as '14' and the second month came back as '28' - you have to be over at least '30' to show ovulation - so it appeared i was having annovulatory cycles and have not actually been ovulating at all.

NOTE: what they did see during the internal ultrasound during the natural tracking episode was that now my LEFT ovary is ALSO polycystic. The lady who did the scan says it prob always was and the other radiographer didnt see it. I know this not to be true as i have had 2 internal ultrasounds since diagnosed with PCOS (one on nhs and one private) and both hospitals reported i had normal left ovary and normal left size ovary etc so i KNOW that the left has developed cysts since i was first diagnosed. So now both my ovarys are polycystic. Also my symptoms have gotten worse.

The hair on my head is coming out and thin.
The hair on my face has increased and is getting worse. it used be a few dark hairs on my chin, now i have lots of fine hairs all over my chin, upper lip and sides of face. I also have hairs on my hands and a few on my chest.
My acne has gotten ALOT worse.
I feel like my body is trying to turn me into a man and am having a lot of mental trouble dealing with this, some days i do believe i would be better off dead.

Anyway back to my story of whats happened next. I have lost 3 stone in weight. i was 16 stone and am now 13 stone so still have some to loose.

So next i was booked in for a laproscopy which i had at end of march & it included a tubal dye (to check tubes clear), also to drain a external simple cyst i had on my right ovary, and also a procedure called ovarian drilling / ovarian diathermy.

Ovarian drilling is where they puncture the ovary in 4 places to try and get rid of some of the cysts and this is supposed to help with ovulation. they are under the idea that as my partner has strong sperm (he has been tested also), if they can get me to ovulate then i might have a chance at conceiving without medication (such as clomid)

they said it would only take about a week to recover from the operation. Total crap, try 3 weeks. it was awful, im not going to lie. they found my tubes were clear but my right tube was twisted or stuck to my right ovary. im not sure exactly as you dont get any consultaion on the nhs afterwards, infact the consultant wont see me til august (4 1/2 months after op) so im not even sure what they found or whats happening.

I expected to be put on clomid after the ovarian drilling to give me best chance of ovulation. Wrong again. They wont give me clomid because of risk of multiple pregnancy (yeah fat chance!) or ovarian hyperstimulation until at least 4 month after ovarian drilling. The benefits of ovarian drilling, if it works at all, only last 6 months so i wanted clomid straight away to have 6 good attempts if you like.

So like i said to the fertility nurse when trying get my appointment with consultant moved forward fdrom august, if the ovarian drilling has not worked and has not made me ovulate then i might as well have the clomid, whats the point in waiting. They did not even organise any 21 day blood tests to see if the OD had worked and i was ovulating, useless nhs.

So i demanded to have 2 months of having 21 day blood tests done and said if the blood tests did not show ovulation then i would be demanding clomid straight after.

It has only been the first month after the operation and OD. I had the 21 day blood test and it came back at '33' so the fertility nurse says i ovulated this month according to the blood test. However dispite having sex every other day from day 9 - day 19, i still got my period this month, so not pregnant again.

I will try again this month, but i hold out little hope. Why, well to be honest i have a new problem i think.

I was always wondering why when i had a 28 day cycle (and so should be ovulating on approx day 14) that i did not get my LH surge until day 16 or 17, showing that i ovulate late on day 18 or 19. But i still get my period on day 28. Now you need to have at least 10 days between ovulation and period (called luteul phase) to be able to sustain a pregnancy. My luteal phase may only be 9 days. SO even if i am now ovulating and actually conceiving, my body wont support the pregnancy anyway.

So in conclusion, i feel like the nhs has let me down, like my body has let me down and very very low right now.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but i dont want to lie to you.

waking up every day with the hair loss, the acne, the beard and the knowledge that i will never have a child and most likely die young of diabetes or heart problems really does NOT give me the will to go on. But i will, because i have too.
xxxxx

Last edited by nicolabee; 05-01-2009 at 11:48 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to nicolabee:
sosa1985 (12-08-2011)
Old 05-02-2009, 01:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello Nicolabee,

Poor you. I just had a laparoscopy this past Tuesday and I know what you have gone through. My experience was a little more positive than yours but I know that it's certainly no picnic.

I too have a problem with hirsutism and acne and have had this all of my life. I now only have my right ovary and tube. Unlike you, I have never wanted children so I am lucky in this respect.

Try to tackle one issue at a time. You are already loosing weight and you should be congratulated for this. I too have lost about 60 lbs over the past couple of years and this alone has made me feel so much better. I also exercise everyday (a simple 45 minute walk) and eat much healthier. Do keep this up as not only with this help your body to conceive by regulating your hormones but excess fat has been known to androgenize so loosing this will help for that as well.

For the hair, if you have access to electrolysis, I have found this to be the most permanent and safe. I actually had so much hair on my face that I went for two whole years for twice a week in order to get rid of it. Now at the age of 42, I am starting to get it back again so I may have to return for some more treatments.

I have never heard of ovarian drilling and I am not sure this makes much sense to me. Have you ever considered IVF treatment (invitrofertilization) ? There are also ovulation kits that you can purchase in drug stores that may help. Of course the fact that you are depressed and stressed out may not be good for trying to get pregnant. Try to work on picking yourself up first and perhaps this will help.

Hang in there and try to be positive. Take stock of all of the great things in your life (such as your significant other, your friends, perhaps your job or career etc..). I am sure that with time you will be able to conceive. Don't put so much pressure on yourself. I wish you all the best and hope that you will have good news very soon.

Estria

Old 12-08-2011, 02:42 AM   #8
(female)

sosa1985 HB User

I read your message today....i feel like my situation is very similar to yours....Im 26 years old, but have had no plans any time soon to have children. In the back of my mind for about 2 years ive lnown something wasnt 100% with me.the few hairs, the mood swings on my period as im in so much pain.the gaining of weight.the physical changes ive endured i felt were manageable.but over a year ägo it was my mother that researched pcos....she asked me to present my symptoms to my doctor, and get tested....my doctor brushed me off, dismissed me.so felt like a ****.....carried on plucking those few hairs, and having painful periods.......untill recently.....decided to get checked out again by a different doctor. My bloods came back perfect. Ultrasound results came back different...results showed pcos on right ovary....so deflated anoyed....as this explains alot of things.but why oh why did the previous doc, brush me off....now i want to follow-up and find out if Im åble to have children... I say for you fight every step.dont let doctors put you off. Do not feel defeated.ps: i got my ultrasound results yesterday....was given no further options, other Tham eat healthy and lost a bit of weight...Im not even a big gurl...LOL... Im worried about future like you....but i hope things are better for you since you posted this message.i would like to know how things have progressed.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolabee View Post
hi ladies, thanks for your responses. i wrote this post last year after just finding out about having pcos, heres whats happened thereafter.

after finding out about pcos i was sent to see a gynae consultant as i want to conceive a child. first appointment he sent me for natural tracking, which is basically the internal 'stick inside' ultrasound again. he wanted me to have it a few times over a few days to see if an egg was ovulating etc. typical nhs would only give me one scan and it wasnt even on the right day so the excercise was fruitless. I had day 21 blood tests also over 2 months, the first came back as '14' and the second month came back as '28' - you have to be over at least '30' to show ovulation - so it appeared i was having annovulatory cycles and have not actually been ovulating at all.

NOTE: what they did see during the internal ultrasound during the natural tracking episode was that now my LEFT ovary is ALSO polycystic. The lady who did the scan says it prob always was and the other radiographer didnt see it. I know this not to be true as i have had 2 internal ultrasounds since diagnosed with PCOS (one on nhs and one private) and both hospitals reported i had normal left ovary and normal left size ovary etc so i KNOW that the left has developed cysts since i was first diagnosed. So now both my ovarys are polycystic. Also my symptoms have gotten worse.

The hair on my head is coming out and thin.
The hair on my face has increased and is getting worse. it used be a few dark hairs on my chin, now i have lots of fine hairs all over my chin, upper lip and sides of face. I also have hairs on my hands and a few on my chest.
My acne has gotten ALOT worse.
I feel like my body is trying to turn me into a man and am having a lot of mental trouble dealing with this, some days i do believe i would be better off dead.

Anyway back to my story of whats happened next. I have lost 3 stone in weight. i was 16 stone and am now 13 stone so still have some to loose.

So next i was booked in for a laproscopy which i had at end of march & it included a tubal dye (to check tubes clear), also to drain a external simple cyst i had on my right ovary, and also a procedure called ovarian drilling / ovarian diathermy.

Ovarian drilling is where they puncture the ovary in 4 places to try and get rid of some of the cysts and this is supposed to help with ovulation. they are under the idea that as my partner has strong sperm (he has been tested also), if they can get me to ovulate then i might have a chance at conceiving without medication (such as clomid)

they said it would only take about a week to recover from the operation. Total crap, try 3 weeks. it was awful, im not going to lie. they found my tubes were clear but my right tube was twisted or stuck to my right ovary. im not sure exactly as you dont get any consultaion on the nhs afterwards, infact the consultant wont see me til august (4 1/2 months after op) so im not even sure what they found or whats happening.

I expected to be put on clomid after the ovarian drilling to give me best chance of ovulation. Wrong again. They wont give me clomid because of risk of multiple pregnancy (yeah fat chance!) or ovarian hyperstimulation until at least 4 month after ovarian drilling. The benefits of ovarian drilling, if it works at all, only last 6 months so i wanted clomid straight away to have 6 good attempts if you like.

So like i said to the fertility nurse when trying get my appointment with consultant moved forward fdrom august, if the ovarian drilling has not worked and has not made me ovulate then i might as well have the clomid, whats the point in waiting. They did not even organise any 21 day blood tests to see if the OD had worked and i was ovulating, useless nhs.

So i demanded to have 2 months of having 21 day blood tests done and said if the blood tests did not show ovulation then i would be demanding clomid straight after.

It has only been the first month after the operation and OD. I had the 21 day blood test and it came back at '33' so the fertility nurse says i ovulated this month according to the blood test. However dispite having sex every other day from day 9 - day 19, i still got my period this month, so not pregnant again.

I will try again this month, but i hold out little hope. Why, well to be honest i have a new problem i think.

I was always wondering why when i had a 28 day cycle (and so should be ovulating on approx day 14) that i did not get my LH surge until day 16 or 17, showing that i ovulate late on day 18 or 19. But i still get my period on day 28. Now you need to have at least 10 days between ovulation and period (called luteul phase) to be able to sustain a pregnancy. My luteal phase may only be 9 days. SO even if i am now ovulating and actually conceiving, my body wont support the pregnancy anyway.

So in conclusion, i feel like the nhs has let me down, like my body has let me down and very very low right now.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but i dont want to lie to you.

waking up every day with the hair loss, the acne, the beard and the knowledge that i will never have a child and most likely die young of diabetes or heart problems really does NOT give me the will to go on. But i will, because i have too.
xxxxx

Closed Thread