It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
(female)

chris02 HB User
Metformin Help

Hi guys,

Just went to the doctors for the first time since my miscarrage 7weeks ago.
I read a lot of info that meformin can reduce the chances of miscarrage in women with pcos. My doctor gave me a prescription, however he sent me for a blood test to check that everything was ok and to test my glucose. Well my blood test showed my glucose level has normal. So my question is do I still take the metformin or will it do more harm than good?
I lost this baby after trying to get pregnant for 18 years so I am really scared to do anything that may be wrong and cause it to happen again. I just don't know what to do for the best. If my glucose is ok and I take it will it then send it to low and if it does what will that do to any future pregnancy I may have, or will it prevent it all togather?

Any info will be appreciated

Old 11-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
(female)

crtvdsgnr11 HB User
Re: Metformin Help

i have been on metformin for about a month now... It was the first med my Endocrinologist told me to take... at that point i hadnt had a period since april... but once i started taking it, it caused me to have one... and she told me to expect that.... in fact i was told not to start bc pills until after the metformin gave me a period... so im not sure if this is any help to you at all but it obviously does encourage your body to shed the lining

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
(female)

ewijaya HB User

Dear Crtvdsgnr11, I also being diagnose by my doctor/Gynae that I had cyst in my ovary, that prevent me from getting pregnant. this is for sure as I'm going for laparoscopy about 2 months ago. And now I'm prescribe for Metformin with slowly increasing dose from once a day (500mg) then next week should be twice a day. I'm not having any symptoms like most describe in the internet (e.g wikipedia). I have regular periods, no acne, no obesity... but definitely infertility...so not sure if you have such symptoms that you can share? My doctor told me that Metformin is being use for diabetic patient but also can be use for treated POCS, which is correctly stated as I'm double check the info as well. I will pray for you too, as I know how it felt, me trying to pregnant myself for 11 years. May God bless you.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
(female)

Solange3000 HB User

Chris02 I also have PCOS and was prescribed metformin because my blood sugar levels were high. The metformin also helped me to regulate my periods but I was never able to get pregnant on metformin. I am currently pregnant after an IVF cycle and my doctor ordered me to stop taking metformin at 2 months of my pregnancy because they don't know the effects of the metformin after 3 months of pregnancy. So I'm not sure if the metformin helps prevent miscarriages. If you are uncertain if you should or should not take the metformin even after your doctor prescrided them to you, you should contact your doctor to ask why he/she prescribed metformin even with the normal glucose levels.
I'm sorry that you are having such a difficult time getting pregnant, I was frustrated after trying for close to one year, I can't even start to imagine after 18 years.
All the best to all of you.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
(female)

dkNP HB User

how horrible for you. i'm not sure if i can help but there are a few things to check out.
1) with insulin resistance/PCOS your glucose can be normal but your insulin can still be high - this is what the metformin treats best and the high insulin levels can be what's keeping your hormones out of whack and stopping conception
2) another condition to check out that is sometimes associated with PCOS is the antiphospholipid syndrome, it can be associated with the estrogen problems in PCOS and contributes to miscarriage risk and can be diagnosed (relatively confidently) with a blood test.
3) there is another medication, clomid, that can be used to induce ovulation and lots of women with PCOS take that + metformin while trying to get pregnant

hope this helps, D.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
(female)

chris02 HB User
Re: Pregnant

Hi guys,

after getting pregnant last year after trying for 18 years and losing it i am now 14 weeks pregnant again. I never thought it would happen again. The only thing I did that was different was take multivitamins and Inositol and started reflexology, I also followed alow GI diet. If these are the only things I changed and I fell pregnant after all those years then it must be one or all these things that worked.
It's worth a try. Good luck. I know what your going through.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
(female)

KALLEYH5458 HB User

Just a bit curious on the metphormin. Will it cause your cycle to be messed up? Mine was fine until i went to the doctor and they put me on metphormin. I'm not understanding this pcos very well. Have on known for about it for about two and a half months i have been trying to get pregnant for about two years now

Old 03-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User

Chris: metformin is known for not causing lows. It makes your cells less resistant to insulin, which goes hand in hand with PCOS. It also doesn't cause weight gain. For all these reasons it's considered a first line treatment for T2 diabetes. A good friend of mine is a T1 diabetic and has been on metformin for about 6 months because of her PCOS. She was taking a lot of insulin because she had quite a bit of resistance there, and the metformin got rid of the resistance, so she takes less insulin.

When T2 diabetics are put on metformin, they have to follow a strict diet because it, in itself won't cause low blood sugar so they need to be very careful with what they eat. Once you're put on other medications and/or insulin then you have a bit more freedom because those treatments WILL cause your blood sugars to go low.

My best advice is to bring your concerns to your doctor about this, but you should be fine to take it without worrying about low blood sugars. Perhaps a test to see how resistant you are to insulin may help put your mind at ease (if you're not resistant you may not need metformin).

Old 06-17-2009, 12:15 PM   #9
(female)

Hubbyswifeinsc HB User

I have PCOS and also take Metformin. My endocronologist put me on it when I was 16 and my blood sugar dropped to below 30 so I took myself off it. Once I was older, my family doctor tried it again and everything is fine now. I asked my current doctor if there was a reason to continue it (I still have a weight and hair side affect from the PCOS and don't notice any physical differences). He told me that the basic reason to give PCOS women Metformin is to help prevent the cysts on ovaries. Some also have an insulin issue that it may help as well.

Closed Thread