It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2009, 05:36 AM   #1
(female)

dkNP HB User
Metformin extended release is working for me!

Hi to the PCOS club,
I just wanted to share my news and excitement. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 12 years ago now, when very little was known about the condition. It took another 7 years before anyone ever mentioned anything about insulin resistance and when I was tested, surprise, surprise, my insulin was very high (but wasn't affecting my glucose yet, luckily!).

An endocrinologist stuck me on metformin and I had one of the worst years of my life. It didn't matter how slowly i tried to increase the dose, even 250mg a day would set off headaches, muscle aches, fatigue and shocking (and often explosive and sudden) diarrhoea. If I drank any alcohol I would get hot flushes, if I didn't have breakfast within half an hour of waking up I would get hypoglycaemic attacks. It was a nightmare and I decided to give up on the metformin and try to control my insulin with diet and exercise.

This worked ok for a few years, but the insulin started creeping up again and after reading some of the posts on this board and doing a little more research I decided to give the metformin extended release a try.

I was worried at first and did have about a week and a half of pain, headaches and diarrhoea (although nothing as bad as with the immediate release tablets) but now i'm feeling better than i have in ages! I'm so excited and i wanted to share that with the 'club' and encourage anyone else who was maybe put off by the side effects that the extended release tablets are worth a go.

Good luck out there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread