It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #1
(female)

hanz89 HB User
Unhappy PCOS - Very heavy and painful periods

Im 19 and was diagnosed with Polycystic ovarian syndrome (pcos) about 2 years ago now. My doctors have tried me on the pill and metformin, neither of them worked, metformin did nothing and the pill gave me excrutiating pain in my stomach and back, however for the last 2 months I have got my periods but they have just been so heavy and painfull. Im changing my pad and tampax at least every 45mins to an hour, its starting to effect my everyday life I cant even go to work. Do you think I should get checked, is anyone else going through this. Would aprrecitate any help, many thanks xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
(female)

caz72me HB User
Re: PCOS - Very heavy and painfull periods x

I've never been checked for PCOS, but I am a type 2 diabetic so its quite common for diabetics to have PCOS also, I am on metformin for my diabetes. My periods are awful, agony for first 2 days to the point that I struggle with everyday life and have to take very strong pain killers every 4 hours and extremely heavy, I have given up with tampons and towels as they just arn't enough for those first two days. I now use a mooncup, which you may have heard of, the idea of it isn't too nice but the capacity is so much more, you should be easily able to go 6-8 hours without emptying it and any leakage - they are weird to begin with but as with everything . they get easier with time. I am 36 now but only started getting bad periods about 4 years ago, suppose I'll never know why.

I have mentioned my problems to my doc without any help, but if you have been diagnosed with PCOS they should help, also using the cup, it has a measure so you could try that for a few months and go back to the doc with a better idea of exactly how much loss you are having each month.

Last edited by caz72me; 02-05-2009 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Extra advice after reading question again

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
(female)

trying2staycalm HB User
Re: PCOS - Very heavy and painfull periods x

Hi Ladies

It sounds like you all have already been diagnosed, but is there any cure for PCOS??

I had surgery last week to have fibroids removed. I too was suffering from the heavy periods and extra severe cramps, having to call out of work. My heavy bleeding actually caused me to become severely anemic and I had to have a blood transfusion in November. (not trying to scare you, i apologize if I am....I just want you to be aware that heavy bleeding can lead to other issues.)

caz72me, I have never heard of a mooncup. Would you describe it?

hanz89, it might be time for you to be examined again (if you haven't yet) to find out what's going on now since your diagnosis was 2 years ago.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:55 AM   #4
(female)

sumayya10 HB User
Re: PCOS - Very heavy and painful periods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanz89 View Post
Im 19 and was diagnosed with Polycystic ovarian syndrome (pcos) about 2 years ago now. My doctors have tried me on the pill and metformin, neither of them worked, metformin did nothing and the pill gave me excrutiating pain in my stomach and back, however for the last 2 months I have got my periods but they have just been so heavy and painfull. Im changing my pad and tampax at least every 45mins to an hour, its starting to effect my everyday life I cant even go to work. Do you think I should get checked, is anyone else going through this. Would aprrecitate any help, many thanks xx
hiya ! im 20 now and ive been suffering pcos for 9 years now... at 1st i did not know what was wrong with untill a few visits to the hospital and blood test and scans.....im not sure if its just me or others too that they vomit when they are on their period and the body just swells up? and im not too sure why you bleed so much, i bleed very little and only for 5 days max ...bleeding tooo much isint very good you need to get this checked up !... by the way i wanted to know if there is any cure to the pains as im starting to give up on everything....becuase i go through realy bad pains evry month i am really sick of it

sumayya

Old 01-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
(female)

lanch HB User
Lightbulb Re: PCOS - Very heavy and painful periods

Hello, I have PCOS I was officially diagnosed about a month ago but have been suffering since I was 13 Im now 23. I have had a rollercoaster with it for sure! I have an almost 6 year old son (it is possible to concieve!). I went over a year with out a period before and went 5 months with a continuous period. The pain is sometimes unbareable! Ive had a biopsy(a very tramatic procedure) vaginal sonogram, and many other tests. I have more testosterone than the average man. I have alot of facial hair(looking into laser treatments) I have an overactivbe libido, My body makes NO PROGESTERONE. I think every case is diffrent since so many different combinations of symptoms make up PCOS I think depending on your unique symptoms you may bleed more, bleed less, or not blead at all.

What i do know is that:

if you DONOT bleed you must see a doctor because it can damage your bones for not bleeding for 6 months or more.

if you DO bleed to much your iron is more than likely low and you should be on an iron supplement atleast once a day.

Right now I am wearing double pads and thoes are filling up every 2-3 hours i also use a product(vaginal cup) called Instead look it up its very good but it takes a few tries to get right, if you are in a lot of pain it can also increase it because it goes inside of you, Instead can also block some of your blood from comming out depending on your cycle but between the vaginal irritation from wearing pads all day and the risks of tampons I would give it a try.

God bless! Respond if you'd like to chat more....I am going through it my self since I just got diagnosed. Im taking Lo Loestrine (birth control) and Metformin. It seems im bleeding more. PCOS is really turning my life UPSIDE DOWN!!!!

Old 01-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
(female)

darkstorm928 HB User

Hanz89 If you have to change pads/tampons every 45 minutes i would recommend a visit to your gyno. Checking for fibroids could help. If the pill bothered you there are other birth control methods that could help. The pill works well for me with my PCOS (i was diagnosed when i was 17, i'm 29 now) but i made sure to get a very low dose pill.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
(female)

meganmarie HB User

hello, im 19 too and also have been dignosed with PCOS wen i was 14. for 15 weeks now i have been bleeding very heavy, i went to the docs and they have put me on Noresthisterone i toke these for ten days and on day 7 i come bk on very sudden and very heavy, went bk to the docs and they put me bk on them for 10 days and also Tranexamic Acid. i am being sent for a emergancy ultra scan too.

please help??

Old 10-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
(female)

darkstorm928 HB User

Meganmarie: are you having abdominal pain as well with the heavy bleeding? I am wondering if you have a ruptured cyst...

Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
(female)

meganmarie HB User

yes it is very painfull

Old 10-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
(female)

darkstorm928 HB User

Get the ultrasound, sounds like a cyst.

Reply Reply