It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
(female)

KaraKaraKara HB User
Arrow Is it worth looking into?????

Lately, I have been doing some research into PCOS mostly because of severely oily skin. To give you an idea of how oily my skin is, if I wash my face in the morning, 4hrs later I can take oil blotting sheets and saturate 2.5 sheets completely.

-I have always had problems with acne and severely oily skin (since age 11yrs) which is why I never really was concerned about anything out of the ordinary. But now I'm learning that that time is when it can come about. My acne is all across the spectrum.. these days I get less cysts, mostly clogged pores and little "solid oil bullets" I call them.

-Also, since around puberty, I have had hair on my fingers, toes, dark hairy arms, a lot of dark excess hair on the lower parts of my legs, and some upper lip hair. But here's the thing... I'm not familiar with my paternal side of the family so how am I supposed to know if it's normal or not for me?

-I do know that I have a family history of diabetes on my biological mothers side... my biomom has it, my biograndmother had it, and my biosister had gestational diabetes. I'm starting to read that there is a correlation between diabetes/insulin resistance and PCOS.

-Here's the part where I'm doubtful... I've been reading that people with PCOS have infrequent or irregular periods. Believe me, my periods come nearly every 28 days to the minute, and the second I start bleeding, I have very bad cramps requiring 600mg of ibuprophen, and they are very short lasting (3 days usually) but I bleed in large amounts and they contain mostly clots (sorry if TMI).

So here are my questions.
-Does anyone who has diagnosed PCOS have regular periods that might be painful and/or heavy, but otherwise normal?
-Is this worth looking into further?
-What tests (lab or otherwise) should I ask my doctor to perform?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User
Re: Is it worth looking into?????

A friend of mine with PCOS has regular periods but bleeds HEAVILY. It actually put her in the hospital at one point. Turns out she had unbelievably HUGE cysts on her ovaries.

It can work both ways! Either too much bleeding or not enough. And trust me, my friend's period came like clockwork! Look into it and have your testosterone levels tested. That's how I got my diagnosis.

Closed Thread