It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
(female)

BassetHounds HB User
I got pregnant & I have PCOS!

Hi Everyone!

I just found out I'm about 2 months pregnant. We were TTC for over 2 years. I have PCOS. Here's what worked for me:

1- I joined Weight Watchers in Sept. '08 and lost 30 pounds by Feb. '09.
Losing weight was very difficult for me, but I set my mind to it. You too can do it! Even if it's 10 pounds...tell yourself YOU CAN DO IT!

2- I switched from regular milk to Soy milk (get the original one it tastes great!) this helps to regulate insulin levels which is a problem for certain PCOS women even if, like me, they don't have diabetes. Also (so I was told) it helps people with low progesterone levels...like me!

3-In Feb. '09 my OB/GYN inserted the tip of a long swab in my cervix to open it up. He calls this an "Egg Test". He said my cervix opening was really small & tight. This procedure really hurt but thankfully only lasted 30 seconds. I couldn't see the relation with my PCOS ovaries and this test but my DR. said to trust him and 2 months later I got pregnant!

4-After the Egg Test I started taking 1 capsule of Red Clover Each day after 2 weeks I took 2/day. Stop taking Red Clover when you discover you're pregnant though...

--Before you take anything consult your Dr. to make sure it's safe for you

--My ob/gyn said that not all doctors believe in the "egg test" but he does and it works 80% of the time. It has to be done 21 days after your last period and you must have protected sex between these 21 days.

Good luck / I know what you're going through

Last edited by moderator2; 06-01-2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: posted contact info - please read the posting rules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
(female)

luvt8c HB User
Re: I got pregnant & I have PCOS!

OMG!!! congrats
i found out that i have PCOS a couple of months ago so i started to take fish oil and vitex pills. So far for i had 3 periods in a row but again i missed my period for 2 months again. Not quite sure what is going on. i have no insurance so i can't go see a doc. what is this Red Clover??? what does this do??? i will try anything to get periods back on track
CONGRATS on the baby!!!!!!!! i'm so happy for you

Old 06-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
(female)

BassetHounds HB User

The Red Clover helps with fertility. It's been around since the beginning of time and used by Native Americans. It has many uses!! I wanted to try a chemical-free way to conceive...but I must admit I was ready to quit.

It's so frustrating taking preg. test after test just to see a negative result. I was emotionally depressed with everything. The books tell you to stop "thinking baby" all the time but it's so hard when it's the one thing you want in the whole world.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
(female)

luvt8c HB User

i feel the same way. I feel like giving up!! I found a fertility place near by where i live. I hope i can get in there and see if they can help.
I hope i can have a baby one day.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:51 AM   #5
(female)

BassetHounds HB User

Yes you will - hang in there! How is your weight?

Losing weight helped me get more periods (I got three since last Sept.) - The year before I had skipped the whole previous year without any....very hard when you're ttc!

I know I'm chubby, but what got me upset was that one of our friends (who doesn't have pcos) is severely overweight. She got 3 kids one after the other. It angered me soooo much that I was told to lose weight & my friend doesn't have a problem!!

But losing weight did help me...and I was bitter and frustrated with a lot of things. Don't lose hope - you can do it

Old 06-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
(female)

luvt8c HB User

my weight it good i'm average size. i have been taking vitex and fish oil pills for the past 3 months and i got my period back in feb. i got it for 3 months strait all on time. But all of a sudden i skiped it almost 3 months in a row again. It's so frustraiting!!!
I can relate when i see people with little kids or friends of mine. I just found out that a friend of mine is 4 months prego. I was really sad and jealous.
I won't give up hope!
Just have to keep trying.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:19 PM   #7
(female)

debrevenn HB User

Congrats BassetHounds! Wow...can I relate to your comments about people giving all kinds of crappy advice like "Stop thinking about it all the time"....and taking pregnancy tests only to see negative after negative after negative. My husband and I just took a vacation with my sister and my 7 year old niece...to Walt Disney World and their other parks in Florida...children and babies were EVERYWHERE...and I can't even count the times I saw parents who didn't seem like "good parents"...doing things like cursing at their kids, etc...which just made me soooo mad.

And my little niece...every time she sees me and my husband (we live in Georgia and she lives in Maryland) asks when are we going to have a baby, what will we name our babies, will we have boy or girl babies, etc. So innocent...but it tears at my heart every time. And the women in my family don't understand....none of them had trouble getting pregnant...including my sister who had my niece while being single. It kills me...sitting there wondering why I can't seem to get pregnant, even though I have the happy marriage, the great career, an awesome education, etc. This is so frustrating for me...because I've been good at almost everything I've done in the past, except this....and unfortunately achieving a positive pregnancy test isn't something I can just study for and achieve.

I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance last Fall. I take Metformin regularly and when I'm consistent in exercising, my cycles run a perfect 28-day cycle. I'm going to take your advice on using Red Clover....and I'm going to really focus on losing weight....and my "prize" for losing the first 15 pounds is going to be getting a HSG done, jsut to make sure I don't have a secondary problem.

You've given me hope...so thank you. I feel blessed to have found this group. I need women to talk to who understand what I'm going through.

Congrats again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
(female)

BassetHounds HB User

Yes debrevenn, you got it right on!! Your story is the same as mine...I see people everywhere who make it seem like it's a burden on them to have their kids. People who walk twenty steps ahead of their toddlers without looking back to see if they're following - makes me sick!!

My husband & I will be married for 4 years in the Fall...and every year on our Anniversary nosy family members would ask "So when are the kids coming?", "Are you guys planning on starting a family soon?"...but last year was the worse: we were told "So, I guess you don't want kids? Is something wrong?" You just want to yell at people MIND YOUR OWN *** BUSINESS!!!! Very frustrating indeed.

Yes I am lucky to be pregnant. I wonder if PCOS is genetic...my parents had me after 8 years of marriage and my brother almost 7 years after that. My mom never got tested but her symptoms were the same as mine.

I trust my Dr. He's an older man and he says he does things differently. He told me never to touch drugs that have Provera with a 10 foot pole. He says it causes birth defects. He was going to put me on Metformin and Clomid (both at the same time) next year if I didn't get pregnant...but he wanted me to try "natural" things first.

Best of luck with the Red Clover...also, try to reduce your caffeine intake. I switched to decaf tea & coffee about 1 year ago.

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, my goal is to give hope to those who struggle as I did. I know what it feels like to feel lost and emotionally hopeless - Don't give up! Keep your chin up...miracles happen!

Last edited by BassetHounds; 06-29-2009 at 08:10 PM.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #9
(female)

debrevenn HB User
Smile Re: I got pregnant & I have PCOS!

Bassethounds...I started Weight Watchers yesterday. Surprisingly, when I got on the scale to record my beginning weight, I was a few pounds lighter, after the trip to Walt Disney World with my niece. (The trip felt like a 7 day workout.) Today I was rarely hungry and ended up the day with a few points leftover. I'm hopeful that this is successful. Also, my husband and I just added a German Shepherd to our household. In order to keep up with his training, we make sure to walk him (and our shepherd mix) every day....so that helps add to the exercise count.

How's the pregnancy going!?!

Deb

Old 07-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
(female)

BassetHounds HB User

Way to go Deb, you're doing great!! I don't know if you have Fibre1 bars where you are they're granola bars and are only 2 points each. I took those instead of chocolate bars...they are really really tasty!! Glad to see you added a new doggy to the family. We have 2 and it's awesome!

My pregnancy is going well thanks! I've decided to start wearing maternity clothes to actually "look" pregnant, 'cause now people just think I'm putting the weight back on

Cheers!! -BH

The Following User Says Thank You to BassetHounds For This Useful Post:
thinkpositive12 (03-13-2012)
Old 07-08-2009, 12:43 AM   #11
(female)

Nattie2007 HB User

hi i was diagnosed with pcos about 3 1/2 years ago, i am 20 years old now, me and my partner have now been tryin for a baby for around 2 years with no look as ive been told im not ovalulating which i dont understand becasue im still having periods. i used to get really heavy irregular periods for the first couple of years of being diagnosed and then i slimmed down and lost around 30 pounds and they have become regular not to the date but near enough. i have had my fallopion tubes flushed out and there fine, my partner has had a sperm cont and hes fine, so its just me.

i have been put on some tables (clomid) which i have to take one on the second day of my next period till the 6th day, and then i have to go back to the hospital on the 21st day of my period to have a blood test to see if i have ovaluated.

i was wondering if anyone has been on these tables (clomid) and could give me some advise on the pregnancy rate and if any one has become pregnant after taking these tables.

i was really scared when i was first diagnosed but now i have realised there is a lot of treatment out there for women like me and every1 else trying to concieve with pcos.

i hope every1 is ok and to look on the positive side, if it was my partner who had the problem there wasnt much that could be done for him but its me and there is loads of treatment out there.

also another thing i no im gabbling on a bit but i have been pregnant b4 when i was 16 but sadly due to circumstances i had to abort. so what i dont understand is that i must have been ovulating then or i wouldnt have got pregnant.

Natalie

Last edited by Nattie2007; 07-08-2009 at 07:38 AM.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:04 AM   #12
(female)

Bianca12 HB User

Hi All!!

I have PCOS as well. I have been suffering with this as well. Well the PCOS would not have been a problem if I didn't want children, I have been trying for two years now, to fall pregnant and PCOS really makes it difficult, as I don't ovalulate because of PCOS, one of the main factors associated. I have been on fertility drugs, treatments, like Clomid and injections, it didn't work for me. All the gynocologist that I've been too has told me it is not treatable, you will never be rid of PCOS.
Well, I have good news! I am at a homeopath at the moment who is treating my PCOS with herbal medicine. He says in 8 weeks I will be rid of it. I have finished my first week, and am very exited. There IS hope. I would advise you to go to a homeopath, as I personally think most gynocologists only want to make money out of you!! I don't have acne, or any of the other systems that usually are related to PCOS, however I do suffer with my weight because of that, and with ovulation and my periods is so iregular.

* email address and/or contact information removed by hb-mod, moderator *

All the best

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-09-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Please don't post contact info, such as email address, per Posting Policy.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:17 PM   #13
(female)

myboysmylife HB User
Wink Re: I got pregnant & I have PCOS!

Congrats first to bassethound!! YAY!!

I have been in this boat for many yrs. I am 33 yrs old and have many problems with my PCOS. I have 2 boys and they are 16 yrs apart! I tried many countless times to concieve with no luck and at the time drs did not know much about how to treat it or know about it at all! When I concieved my first son I was 15 and fine, I started to have problems when I turned 17 and did not know why til a dr finally told me I had PCOS. He knew very little at the time and did not treat me but put me on a med that made me have my periods every 3 months for a yr. I went yrs with no periods but started with all the symptoms like facial hair my hair thinning and hair on my body and weight gain!

When I divorced the first husband I went through alot and I lost weight and here came the periods! I was shocked and happy! With my 2nd hubby we got pregnant 3 times and the 1st was a miscarriage and the 2nd my little girl was a premature birth at 22 weeks due to PCOS and my cervix being weak. My 3rd is my little miracle my baby boy (16 months old now)! There is hope out there and we all have our different ways of treating this condition so dont give up and find whats right for you! I am having my symptoms again due to weight gain after giving birth to my baby and just started the meds to help regualte my symptoms (metformin and Yaz the BC). Good luck to all you ladies and Im here if you need anything to talk about as ive been through it all it seems !

Congrats again to you Bassethound!! I know the feeling of pure excitement!

Myboysmylife

Closed Thread