It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
(female)

partlycloudy HB User
Confused with diagnosis - PCOS or not?

I had an ultrasound done because I've had some pelvic pain and have had strange cycles for awhile. I assumed it was ok because I got a note from Dr. saying it was satisfactory. When I went to see my obgyn though he said that I could have PCOS as it was noted on my US that I had several follicles on my left ovary. He said there are other tests that are better at detecting PCOS.

But doesn't it pretty much mean PCOS if I have several follicles on an ovary? I didn't go ahead with further testing. I was just relieved that I don't have fibroids or tumors. I'd like to know if I have PCOS, but it is what it is pretty much, right? I mean, either way, I have build-up on my ovaries probably from when eggs were not released (the missed periods). I've been prescribed the pill to help settle my crazy hormones down and hopefully prevent future follicle build-up. I don't have anything that PCOS patients normally have - not overweight, no excessive hair growth, diabetes. Maybe I'm in denial but PCOS is only an issue if I want to conceive, right (my doctor doesn't think I'm infertile though may need some type of drug to trigger ovulation)?

Old 10-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
(female)

shae1980 HB User
Re: Confused with diagnosis - PCOS or not?

Hi there,
I am in exactly the same situation 15 cysts on left and 8 on right, however still not diagnosed with PCOS. I dont have any of the usual signs or symptoms either, however my naturopath is of the beleif that mine could be secondary to another problem as I have a whole heap of other issues going on like tremors, fatigue, really sore muscles and joints, hypertension etc etc, she thinks it might be related to adrenal gland problems so I am getting that looked into.
I am tired of going for more tests all of the above symptoms have been happening for six months and no one can figure out why.
I think you should follow up with the tests as you may cause yourself complications in the future if you dont manage PCOS now.
Oh and by the way just as a matter of interest I am being advised to go off the pill, it is though by my naturopath and gp that this is not a good combination with PCOS, dont take my word for it though do some investigating.
Let me know if you have any more info
Shae xo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
(female)

partlycloudy HB User

I just went to my doctor again, and he said I could have further testing done, but I'll have to go off birth control for a couple of cycles. I had jumped on the birth control right away because I was tired of some of the new symptoms I was dealing with. He thinks that I do have PCOS, though. He just doesn't like to diagnose it from an ultrasound, but with that and my health history, he says he's almost certain I have it. He recommended staying on the BC, but I don't want to get into taking synthetic hormones long-term. So, I'm trying metformin. I feel better at least knowing that my depression and anxiety have a root cause. Hope you find answers soon, Shae.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
(female)

Sweety2002 HB User

Birth control can actually help with some of the symptoms of PCOS, including regulating your cycles.

I was diagnosed with PCOS, put on birth control and was on it for quite a few years. I had an ultrasound done and it didn't find any cysts!!!! There was no evidence that I had PCOS. I then went off of the birth control and a few months later had another ultrasound done and it found multiple cysts. They came back, along with the other symptoms.

Closed Thread