It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
(female)

dawnmarielovesu HB User
what happens when you have pcos and go off birth control

I was diagnosed with PCOS back in spring, I am 18 years old & have been getting fewer than 4-6 periods a year since I was 13. My doctor put me on birth control to try & regulate my periods. What happens if I go off of it? Does that mean I will go back to having those 4-6 periods a year that randomly occur? Will I ever be able to have children?
I do not want to take the birth control anymore because I am not, & have never been sexually active, & am not planning on having sex anytime soon. I have a hard time keeping up with it, & it has caused me to have 10-15 pounds of weight gain when I use to be 115-120 pounds.
What do I do?

Old 11-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
(female)

dev22 HB User
Re: what happens when you have pcos and go off birth control

When I went off my birth control my periods came very rarely (once every 4-5 months), so I woudl assume the same would be true for most of us with PCOS.

There are many drugs on the market to stimulate ovulation though, so chances of being able to conceive can still be high. It is just that most of us need a little help getting there. For some women it does take more invasive messures like IUI or IVF. You really will not know what will work for you until you are at that point.

I personally would reccomend staying on birth control if you do not have horrible side effects on it, as it helps to regulate your horomones. I only stopped taking mine do to the side effects. Birth control is used in non-sexually active women all the time, and at least when you are ready to have sex you will be completely prepared

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
(female)

ladybug1978 HB User

I have actually taken myself off birthcontrol and I am gaining weight? I am trying Metformin to take it back off. I am no getting the Mirena. (IUD)

Old 03-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
(female)

lsm4 HB User

I also have pcos and was on the pill to regulate my periods , I couldnt stand my mood swings while i was on it so my doctor put me on to metformin , which did really help and made my periods more regular and helped with my weight and skin too ! its deffenatly worth given metformin a try ! and with pcos sometimes you can ovulate but it does take long er than someone without , not so often i have pcos but have 4 children .

Old 08-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
(female)

khoalle27 HB User
Smile Re: what happens when you have pcos and go off birth control

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnmarielovesu View Post
I was diagnosed with PCOS back in spring, I am 18 years old & have been getting fewer than 4-6 periods a year since I was 13. My doctor put me on birth control to try & regulate my periods. What happens if I go off of it? Does that mean I will go back to having those 4-6 periods a year that randomly occur? Will I ever be able to have children?
I do not want to take the birth control anymore because I am not, & have never been sexually active, & am not planning on having sex anytime soon. I have a hard time keeping up with it, & it has caused me to have 10-15 pounds of weight gain when I use to be 115-120 pounds.
What do I do?
the doctor perscribed you birth control for more than an unwanted pregnancy, it is to help your insulin level stay to the point of where they should be and to protect you from developing into something cancerous.

go to this site:
http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/pcos_and_the_pill.html

it tells you almost everything you need to know.

it is also a way to be able to cut the acne, cramps, and help you to loose wieght. as for your pregnancy question, birth control also plays a role in that and makes it so when you are ready to have children whenever the time may be it will help you tremendously with this task.

i have 19 and have pcos myself, and i have never had sex in my life and i am not planning to for awhile, my gyno still perscribed me birth control. the birth control is just a way for your life to be easier in dealing the stressfullness of pcos.it is also said that you gain wieght with taking birth control. you could always try a different type of birth control.

hope this helps.

anyway hope this helps

Old 09-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
(female)

Ms GT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsm4 View Post
I also have pcos and was on the pill to regulate my periods , I couldnt stand my mood swings while i was on it so my doctor put me on to metformin , which did really help and made my periods more regular and helped with my weight and skin too ! its deffenatly worth given metformin a try ! and with pcos sometimes you can ovulate but it does take long er than someone without , not so often i have pcos but have 4 children .
Hello, I also have PCOS and the doctors have told me I cannot have any babies so how is it that you have four? You are truly blessed! Did you have to take any meds to have your kids? Or was it natural? I am worried that if I do have kids, will they have any bith defects?? Also I am worried about miscarages, can u advise me on what to do? tks

Closed Thread