It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2009, 12:25 AM   #1
(male)

nobita HB User
Exclamation Severe lower body, back pain, headache, nausea, vomit

recently my girlfriend had been diagnose with PCOS. the doctor prescribe her Metformin Hydrochloride. she took the medicine for about 2 weeks already.

this morning, she complain to me that she's suffering from severe lower body, back pain, headache, nausea, vomitting.. but i read many article online , none of them describe PCOS with such symptom.

then i search for Metformin Hydrochloride and found out a shocking result.

i was so worry that it's maybe the side effect of the medicine.. and it says "it's fatal" ..

she just went to the same doctor just now. but the doctor just told her to continue the medicine and try to eat some calcium and vitamin! what the ...

i'm not a doctor , i dont know is it really the problem of Metformin Hydrochloride. so, is there anyone here with PCOS and taking the same medicine have the same experience? or anyone with PCOS but not taking the medicine have the same issue too?

or any other possible women health problem that have the same symptom? cervical cancer!??? actually before she took the medicine, she had complained some headache, back pain, dizziness before.. but this time the pain become so serious that she's crying to me on phone... oh, god. .. what can i do? please!!!! urgent help needed!!!!!

she's having the symptom as below :
# Irregular periods that come every few months, not at all, or too frequently
# Extra hair on your face or other parts of your body, called hirsutism (her-suit-is-em)
# Acne
# Patches of dark skin on the back of your neck and other areas, called acanthosis nigricans (a-can-tho-sis ni-gri-cans)

Last edited by moderator2; 12-01-2009 at 06:24 AM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
(female)

dancersmom424 HB User
Re: [URGENT] Severe lower body, back pain, headache, nausea, vomit

nobita: I have been on Metformin 750mg ER since 2004. Before I got to that dose I was on Metformin 500mg twice daily, that dosage my body couldn't handle. I was very nauseated to the point of not eating for several days. I also remember the back pain. I am not a doctor, but it sounds like the dosage is too high. If she is in that much misery, TAKE HER TO THE ER!! They can do blood work and get immediate results. If she is having an allergic reaction to the meds, they can help her. I was on the 500mg 2x daily dose for about 2 days when I started having adverse symptoms, I was on 500mg once daily for 2 weeks prior to the upage. My dr said that my body cannot tolerate the full blow of the medication, that is why she put me on the extended release. I have no adverse symptoms now. Best wishes, I will be praying for your girlfriend and you.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
(male)

nobita HB User

thanks alot for your information. she went to see the doctor , the doctor didnt say anything but just to ask her to eat more calcium and vitamin.

i've read a article about Metformin vs Metformin ER at diabetesupdate blog. It seems that ER will take the effect slowly, that's the only difference, right? but i read that it still will cause some minor side effect (as long as u taking Metformin) such as having to get up to pee at night , gas after taking metformin..
what's your experience on Metformin? by the way, you suffering from PCOS too?

Old 12-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
(female)

dancersmom424 HB User

I don't have to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. I haven't had any problems with gas, that is uncomfortable or anything. My experience with it has been good, with the exception of getting too much at the beginning. It has helped regualte my cycles to where I can know an aproximate start date, usually within a week. I am starting to have some problems with low blood sugars, and am going to the dr for that in a few weeks. I really can't imagine my life without Met.
The ER is released slower, which is why I can tolerate a higher dose. That is the only difference that I know of.
What kind of doctor did she see? It sounds pretty odd that they just want her to up her calcium and vitamins. If she is not seeing an OBGYN or a dr who knows about PCOS, I highly suggest finding one. I am blessed that my OBGYN is very knowledgeable about PCOS. I like her so much, that I am still seeing her even though I don't have insurance. It is worth the money to see a dr you are comfortable with and who you can trust. She might also want to get a second opinion. I hope this helps.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
(male)

nobita HB User

thanks.
your help and suggestion is much appreciated.
yeah, maybe we should try to see another more experienced doctor. The doctor is obgyn but i still cant trust her 100% since she seems do not really giving a clear explanation or checkup for my girlfriend. finding a good doctor is always depend on luck.

but these few days, she seems better already, just losing some appetite to eat. but my girlfriend is not fat and i believe no diabetes. i afraid the met will just make her getting thinner and thinner. maybe i should ask her to ask the doctor about met ER next time she visit.

besides, do you eat any supplement food, vitamins? or any particular food or fruits are good for PCOS? just cant stop taking care of her.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
(female)

dancersmom424 HB User

I eat what I want. I do try to eat more proteins and less sweets, but that is just how I am. I also take a multi-vitamin/mineral that is formulated for women, along with extra calcium and vitamin d to help with bone growth (I broke my foot last month). Generally speaking, one of the side effects of met is weight gain. I haven't had a major problem with gaining weight, maybe 5-10 lbs total since I started it. As long as your girlfriend eats balanced meals, and keeps a lot of the fats, sweets, and carbs in small portions the weight gain is less likely. I try to eat fresh fruits and veggies, or steam them. The healthier the diet, the less likely the pounds will come on.
For finding another dr, ask friends who they see. Look online for drs specializing with PCOS in your area. Call and ask different offices if there is a dr there that would be willing to look at your GFs case. It sucks having to do the leg work yourself, but that is the best way to find a good dr. You can also call your insurance company and see who they recomend. I am sure that your GF appreciates what you have been doing for her, that takes a good man to do it. Keep it up, and you both will see great results. I wish you the best with this journey.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:54 AM   #7
(male)

nobita HB User

yeah, hope she will appreciate.
again, thanks for your time and helps.
i will post if any update

by the way, i have a question.
How long does will the metformin last in body?
now, she's taking it every 6 hours after meal. is it ok?

Last edited by nobita; 12-05-2009 at 03:03 AM.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #8
(female)

dancersmom424 HB User

It depends on how it is prescribed. I take mine at night before I go to bed. I don't eat with it, when I did eat with it I would get the shakes and a upset stomach. I do much better by just taking at night. And I am on the extended release so it is supposed to last til the next dose. As long as she is taking it as prescribed it should remain in her system. I have missed a day or two from illness and felt different, but that went away when I started up again.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
(female)

no more pain HB User

I have pcos and am prescribed metformin i have all the same symptoms so i stopped taken it my doctor is mad an says keep taken it but i cant stand to feel any worse than i already do.

Closed Thread