It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
(female)

bcoceo85 HB User
metformin

does anyone take metformin for PCOD?

Old 05-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ambermcc1987 HB User
Re: metformin

Good Afternoon,

I do. My doctor started me on this when I feel asleep during my glucose test . I scared them pretty bad. I do also have the cysts on my ovaries.

I would suggest that before taking the medications you speak with your doctors about getting a clucose meter, unfourtunetly my general practitioner thinks im crazy and will not write a script for the testing strips but I think paying for them out of pocket is worth it.

first i will say that most people get really sick to the stomoch when first starting this medication. I took two 500 Mg doses each day. I HATED the feeling it gave me in the pit of my belly but overall I was feeling much much better. I'm unsure what symtoms you are suffering but I was really tired all the time and I gained over 70 pounds in a year. Once I started taking the meds I felt a lot "perkier" and i found that i was able to start on light exersise and before other non female issues arose i was up to 2 times a week with a personal trainer.

If you do take the meds, i would be really careful that you do not "bottom out" with your sugar, I actually bought Glucose tabs and kept them with my if my meter said i was low. WIth time you will be able to regualte how you feel with what your sugar really is and will not have to check as often.

Now i have changed to one 1000mg pill in the morning. I keep a box of crackers at my desk and i eat 4 or 5 of these when i take my pill. I no longer get sick to my belly anymore.

all in all, the benifits outweigh the risks. I would do some serious reading on PCOS and keep an open mind about what people use. I have heard that a substitute for Metformin is Cinnamon but personally I havent tried it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
(female)

bcoceo85 HB User

thanks for ur info. I am not diabetic at all. Fortunately, my doc says my sugar levels are right in the good range. She told me that I will just have to be smarter than the pill. She said to just be sure and maintain 3 meals a day along with 3 snacks per day and my sugar levels shouldnt be a problem.

I have read upon this and got some pretty good info. I am interested in taking it. I have alot of the same symptoms that u described. I am usually always tired..I have lots of facial hair..I have a big stomach that is hard..not flabby at all. I also have gained alot of weight and have an impossible time of losing it.

I am goin to talk the her again but Im sure that I will take it. She said I will start with a low dose for now

Old 06-10-2010, 06:38 AM   #4
(female)

trinee HB User

Hi, I have been taking Metformin for my PCOS for three months and recent ultra sound showed some improvement but I have to continue to take it. How has it been working for you?

Old 06-11-2010, 05:26 AM   #5
(female)

bcoceo85 HB User

Ive been takin it now for 2 weeks. I do know that I see a bit of a difference in the way my stomach feels. I dont seem to be as bloated as I normally am. I dont eat as much as I normally do and usually about every other day I have a bout of diarhea.
As far as how much it is helpin with the pcod, I dont think Ive taken it long enuff to make a difference. I only take 500 mg once a day...she is spose to evaluate me and may raise in at my next appt

Old 07-10-2010, 01:22 AM   #6
(female)

nicoliver HB User

Hey!! I'm still so suprised at how many women have PCOS...and how many forums there are about this..it's great! I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with PCOS. the only symptoms I had was no periods! Then they did the ultrasound and saw the cysts. So far I have been on Metformin 1500mg for 2 weeks with no sign of a period. I felt a little nausea at first but I always take it with the main meal at night which helps. The Dr said it would take a month and I should start to get regular cycles. I'm 29 and want to start trying for a baby soon. How long did it take others to get regular cycles??

Old 07-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
(female)

Jesse2010 HB User

If u are talking about metformin for pcos then yes i am taking it

Old 07-29-2010, 05:35 AM   #8
(female)

bcoceo85 HB User

Im 43 yrs old...my periods have been normal..no problems in that area at all. I had no idea that I had pcod. I had a test done on my kidney and they found a softball sized tumor on my left ovary. Of course they removed that...and several other small cysts.
I only take metformin 500mg once a day at noon. I have seen a difference in alot of other symptoms such as facial hair isnt as bad, a few warts and cysts on my legs and feet have disappeared and I have lost some weight and my stomach isnt as swollen or bloated

Closed Thread