It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
(female)

mmk2009 HB User
Multiple cysts on right ovary?

I wasn't really sure where to post this but I'm assuming the people on this board will have more experience with multiple ovarian cysts and I'm hoping you can help me out.

I was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst on my right ovary back in April and had a follow up today (June 29th) to check on the cyst. The sonographer told me that it appears that I now have a cluster of cysts on my right ovary but that to her they appeared to be of normal size.

I have a history of devoloping painful ovarian cysts only on my right side and even devoloped the last one while on birth control pills.

I haven't heard back from my doctor yet since my ultrasound was just done a couple of hours ago but I've never had a cluster of cysts before and I'm wondering just what exactly this means? PCOS? Cancer? Nothing?

I also have endometriosis if that matters.

Thanks!!

Old 07-01-2010, 04:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Multiple cysts on right ovary?

Hello MMK,

If they appear normal then most likely they are graaphian follicles that come and go with ovulation. When do you go for your ultrasound ? If I have a pelvic ultrasound, I usually try to schedule it around my period (either just before or just after). This is when it is less likely to see those normal cysts. When I went for my first ultrasound I did not know this and they saw a few cysts on my left ovary. Only the largest one (7-8 cms in diameter) ended up being a problem which had to be removed. The others were normal and disappeared by the next ultrasound.

If the cysts are not large (around 2-3 cms .. anything under 5 cms is usually OK) then most likely these are normal follicles that are growing and that will regress back into the ovary once you ovulate. Even while on the pill you may still be ovulating so don't think that being on the pill will necessarily help you to totally avoid growing cysts (it may somewhat suppress your ovulation however so for these normal types of cysts it probably helps).

As long as they are normal cysts I would not worry. Go for a followup ultrasound to ensure that they are gone and try to go at the time of the month when you are the least likely to see cysts so that you can be sure that what you saw are just the normal kind.

I hope this helps.

Estria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread