It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
(female)

JuneStar HB User
Red face Doc says no Spiro without birth control??

Hello!
I'm new, and newly diagnosed with PCOS. I'm 26 years old, and about 105 lbs.
I have excessive hair on my legs, arms, and face. Shaving and waxing results in awful acne on my legs and ingrown hairs.
I have acne on my face, back and chest.
I tried Metformin, but it made me nauseous, lightheaded, and crampy. I also tried Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-cyclen low, Seasonale and Seasonique. All of these made me vomit, and gain weight. I have a LOW tolerance for BC.
My doc suggested Spironolactone, but refuses to give it to me without birth control due to the potential for feminism of a male fetus. I am not sexually active.
I don't OBJECT to BC, but the side effects scare me. The benefits (potential acne and hair growth control) are subtle if at all, and do NOT outweigh the risks (weight gain, nausea, clots, etc).

My questions are:
1. What types of birth control work best with women who have PCOS whose primary concerns are excessive hair growth and acne?
2. Is it possible to be on Spironolactone without birth control, or are my doctors just being fickle?

Last edited by JuneStar; 07-07-2010 at 12:59 PM.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:08 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User
Re: Doc says no Spiro without birth control??

Hi ya Junestar!

Yes it is possible to be on Spironolactone without being on birth control,because I'am
However,I've been married for 13 years and my husband had a vasectomey 12 years ago,so I haven't ever needed birth control pills.
I think it is good your doc recommended it though because spiro has a tendency to make periods very irregular,so birth control pills balance this out.

You should consider trying YAZ,it's a LOW estrogen pill and also has a second ingredient similar to spiro called drospirenone which makes it unique from other Birth control pills.
But if you take YAZ,you will not need spiro.

Last edited by WhenItRains; 07-17-2010 at 02:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
(female)

JuneStar HB User

Well, I haven't had a period since October of 2009, so I'm not too worried about that! To be honest, they hurt so badly that I wouldn't worry too much if I got them regularly and Spiro ruined them! LOL

Old 07-18-2010, 01:10 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User

I hear ya,I won't miss them either as long as I'm not stuck with permanent Pms!
Does your dr. know you haven't had a period since last year?
Maybe that is why he/she is pushing for the birth control?
Who knows though I have heard some people get more frequent periods with Spiro,it just depends on the person.
But from what I have heard,Yaz or yasmin are commonly prescribed BC pills for PCOS.But Yaz seems like the better choice because it is not high in estrogen,so maybe the side effects won't be as bothersome.

Is this dr. your gyn that won't give it to you or a derm or a endocrinologist?

Last edited by WhenItRains; 07-18-2010 at 04:11 AM.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
(female)

JuneStar HB User

My gyn is pretty much useless. When I told her that I thought I had PCOS, she laughed at me. I made her do an ultrasound anyways and she said I had "hundreds of tiny little cysts" on my ovaries.
It's my endocrinologist who won't give me spiro without BC. I would use it if it didn't make me so sick! It sounds like a freaking life saver for your skin. I really want to, but the blood clotting side effect worries me, too, because I spend a lot of time sitting down for school, and studying.
I'm in the process of getting some more opinions.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Well if you have PCOS then you probably really would benefit from Spiro.
I don't suppose you could try finding a new doctor? If a doctor doesn't listen to me (or laughs at me) I quickly find a new one.I don't have insurance though so I refuse to pay out of pocket to a condescending doctor.
Did your endo suggest a certain Bc pill?

The Spiro has already helped my skin be less oily,and my face is clear,but I have had mood swings just like the pill gives you.I hope that goes away.
And please keep me posted if you do start the Spiro,we could support each other

Closed Thread