It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
(female)

DCurley HB User
Talking Newly diagonsed with PCOS- Need some weight loss answers...

Hi I am new on this board.

I was just told that I have PCOS and the doctor prescribed me with Metformin.

A little background first...I get my period regularly, I also take Loloestrin. I am not trying to get pregnant anytime soon.

I told my doctor that I have been trying to lose weight- I use to work out pretty much everyday and had a strict diet, I wouldn't lose any weight whatsoever, no matter what I did.

So after I was diagnosed wit PCOS and I got on Metformin I was pleased to read up on how many ladies have lost weight with this medicine. But I wasn't pleased to see all of the awful side effects.

I just started the pill, I took one last night to see how it would be, and so far I've had 2 today (my does is 500mg 3x daily) So far...I have NO side effects.

I am afraid that without the bad side effects (diarrhea, vomiting, nausea) I will actually not lose any weight.....

Has anyone taken this medicine, not have any side effects and STILL lose weight?

Old 07-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
(female)

perkstar HB User
Re: Newly diagonsed with PCOS- Need some weight loss answers...

I'm new on here too. I have been taking the same medicine for about 3 years now. It does help me lose weight (yes, without the side effects).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
(female)

mamabear85 HB User

I am also new here and i took metformin and had bad side effects so i had to stop taking it.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
(female)

IndiGirl HB User

I was on metformin to lose weight but it didn't work in my case. The latest research seems to point to metformin not assisting weightloss in PCOS cases as it was expected to. It seems if you have insulin resistence it can help to normalise that, giving you a better chance to lose weight, but it itself doesn't do it.

I have a lot of trouble losing weight, it seems I struggle to get any off and all I have to do is breathe and it comes back on. I've basically given up trying and am instead focusing on eating healthily and getting in some moderate exercise. In the past I have found removing all wheat, potato and rice from my diet, soft drinks and most dairy has seemed to help.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
(female)

besynow HB User

HI IM ON GLUCOPHAGE 850MG AND IT ALSO HAS SIDE AFFECTS BUT NOT ALL THE TIME....DEPENDS ON EACH PERSONS BODY...OTHER THAN diarrhea THERE IS NOTHING ELSE

Old 11-15-2011, 06:30 AM   #6
(female)

Ayria HB UserAyria HB UserAyria HB UserAyria HB User

I think you should be happy you're not having the nasty side effects! Time will tell, keep up with your diets and the hard work. Oh and a side note, I recommend drinking green tea, 4 cups a day kind of like this ~ One big mug when you wake up, a normal cup before breakfast, a cup before you eat lunch, and one before dinner. That alone can help women lose weight, and help with your skin/immune system and loads of other things, I'm dieting atm and I'm finding the tea is helping a lot. Good luck!

Closed Thread