It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
(female)

louisecochranex HB User
Smile does metformin really work?

my names louise, am 17 years old and was diagnosed with PCOS two years ago and have finally been put on metformin and was kinda wondering if its worth my while ? many thanks if someone could help xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
(female)

RALH HB User
Re: does metformin really work?

Hi,

I have been on metformin since the beginning of the year for PCOS, I was not ovulating and now am so it must do something x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
(female)

mamabear85 HB User

I was also on metformin for a few month and i cant really tell it did help me but everyone is differnt.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
(female)

IndiGirl HB User

Metformin is a diabetic medication designed to assist with insulin stabilisation. It's given to women with PCOS because insulin resistence is a problem and the latest theory is actually a precursor to PCOS. The theory goes that since PCOS is related to insulin resistence (which is also a precursor to diabetes) then the medication should help stabilise insulin in women with PCOS and assist in stabilising weight.

Latest research seems to point to this not actually being the case. It may help some women to lose weight, but generally isn't seen as effective as it was first thought it would be.

If you can't see it doing anything then talk to your doctor about stopping it. Seems pointless to be on any medication that isn't actually doing anything.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:50 AM   #5
(female)

cnd1234 HB User

I keep hearing about this "metformin" drug from women with PCOS but it was never mentioned by my physician. I was placed on a birth control pill called Demulen to regulate my hormone levels which has ceased the production of cysts and hasn't affected my periods. It makes me feel like crap, but it's working for me. I would rather be working with estrogen and progesterone to help the condition than bothering around with cures designed for diabetes. However, I am considered to be at a low level of healthy weight which might be why my physician never mentioned an insulin problem.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
(female)

heidimichelle HB User

Metformin DOES work for PCOS. I tried for years to get pregnant and was finally diagnosed with PCOS and my male OB GYN suggested Clomid instead of Metformin (which I had read about). 4 years later after my child was born I went to my new OB GYN and did a routine physical and labs and she asked me if I had PCOS. I had honestly forgot about it since I hadn't been trying to get pregnant anymore. I said yes. At this time, January 2011, I was 206lbs and I'm 5'5". This was considered obese with a BMI of 34. I felt horrible. I was almost to my full term pregnancy weight AFTER my child was born and 3yrs old. She put me on Metformin 500mg 1/day then after a week to 500mg 2/day and now 3/day since I was able to tolerate it. I am now at 165. That is a 41lb weight loss and its changed my life. I have regular periods too. Facial hair and such ... GONE! Cravings for carbs and sweets ... GONE! My tummy was bulging and now its almost flat and I feel fantastic! Don't give up on taking Metformin. Side affects do go away and it does help. Its not an over night miracle drug. Its something to take for a long period of time and soon it will work wonders and weight will fall off of you without really trying. My doctor said if you have PCOS it is twice as hard as a regular person to lose weight. So I say it DOES work amazingly well and I am a long time sufferer of PCOS that went untreated for years. Don't wait to suffer like I did. Give it a try. Cheap medicine with wonderful results. Good luck to you.

Last edited by heidimichelle; 11-17-2011 at 02:56 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heidimichelle For This Useful Post:
kakmode87 (01-11-2012), WhenItRains (08-23-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
(female)

Myshkin HB User

I have lost 40 kilos, have regular ovulations, 28 days cycle and gained complete control of appetite and cravings.

Yes, metformin definitely works!

Old 01-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
(female)

heidimichelle HB User

Now I am down a total of 50lbs and feeling wonderful. This is definitely the answer to treating PCOS and the symptoms. Good luck with your continued success. I'm a firm believer in this and as time goes by I'm finding more and more people I know being diagnosed with PCOS and they never knew they had it. Now they are either losing weight and getting regular periods, or got pregnant after treating PCOS which was their goal, or they are checking with their doctors and getting tested for this condition due to similar symptoms that I had or that are described. It seems to be a forgotten medical condition for some physicians when symptoms are presented. The only reason I was diagnosed was due to my irregular periods and not being able to conceive. They use to just tell me to lose weight and my periods would fix themselves until one doctor decided to dig further after difficulty losing weight on my own. I didn't know any different since this has always been troublesome for me to do so I figured it was this hard for everyone... but once the lab work and ultrasound confirmed it and medication was finally given I can see my weight slipping off of me without me having to try so hard or really change much of my lifestyle. If I really applied myself and ate better and exercised more I know I could really have a lot faster results and more weight loss. I think thats next on my agenda since 50lbs literally fell off of me in the past year. Now I'm motivated and I can move a lot easier when I exercise without hurting so much. Good luck again with everything.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
(female)

darkstorm928 HB User

I've been on for 10 years, i lost 140lb (my own diet and exercise) and combined with the birth control pill i'm pretty normal.

Metformin is an "off label" drug for pcos for the people that have physicians that never mentioned it, some doctors won't try them. I recommend you ask, it was the best thing that has done well for my health.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #10
(female)

Topcat3 HB User

I have been reading the boards regarding if Metformin works, but my search was to ask whether it works to regulate ovulation / periods and lower insulin levels and not regarding weight loss...
I was diagnosed with PCOS 12 years ago but it took 2 years for this to be finally diagnosed, due to me ever being overweight, but having other effects of it, I am 5ft 6inch 140lbs and a BMI of 22.
We are hoping to start a family and wondered if anyone else out there is similar and if they have any advice or information on if this will help regulate me?

Old 08-02-2012, 04:39 AM   #11
(female)

USmiss HB User

I just saw an Endocrinologist on Monday. She suggested I start taking Metformin as well. I have no gotten the medicine yet...I'm still contemplating. First of all, I am not overweight. I am a healthy weight but I do eat really healthy and workout 6 days a week so I'm ahead of the game, so to speak. However, the doctor still thinks I have PCOS as my symptoms (acne for years, some extra hair growth, irregular periods, and elevated LH level compared to FSH level) point to it. Diabetes also runs in my family, though I've never had an issue with high blood sugar. She explained it to me like this.....Insulin resistance means your body does not respond to a normal amount of insulin when it is released to lower blood sugar by allowing glucose to go into muscles for energy. Thus, our pancreas has to create more and more insulin to lower blood sugar. She said since my body is creating so much insulin, it's likely that my blood sugar doesn't come up elevated. But the extra insulin in the blood binds to the eggs our ovaries release, causing a higher amount of testosterone to be created, which causes the symptoms of PCOS. Metformin is supposed to make our cells more sensitive to insulin so that our pancreas doesn't have to create as much and in turn, our body won't have as much testosterone floating around to create annovulation and other symptoms. This all makes sense to me, however, I keep questioning whether there is anything else that could be the cause of my issues. I was so worked up at the appointment that I forgot to ask her. She did order some blood work (Testosterone levels, insulin, fasting blood glucose) so we'll see how those turn out but she said they could come up normal though that doesn't mean they are always normal. I'm just afraid to start taking Metformin if insulin resistance really isn't the problem. I guess it's worth a try though.

Reply Reply