It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
(female)

rachel104 HB User
Medications to help PCOS

hello there! I'm new to this forum, but I have some questions about some of the medications that my doctor has put me on...to start off, i was diagnosed with PCOS almost 2 years ago after I had my daughter. I was put on metformin (1000mg twice a day), spironolactone (25mg twice a day) and sprintec (my birth control, the dr said that one would help best with the unwanted hair growths), and for the most part the medications have helped with some of the symptoms from the PCOS, but I still have struggled with my weight. I've been overweight all of my life, but it seems like recently after losing some weight after starting the metformin that i've gained the weight lost back, and then some...

my doctor started me out on Victoza today, and I was wondering if anyone else has been on this medication as well and how it's helped or had side affects...

thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User
Re: Medications to help PCOS

Victoza should help you with several things. First, it works on the satiety center of the brain, you may have less cravings/appetite, it effects the emptying of your stomach-slows down the process- this will effect the size of your meals- you should start to eat less, if you eat too much at one sitting you may feel sick, it should lower your blood sugars by helping your pancreas produce insulin, and it will stop the liver from making sugar.

Good luck keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
(female)

rachel104 HB User
Re: Medications to help PCOS

Thanks! I have been taking the Victoza for almost a week now. The Dr had started me out on the 0.6mg dose, and the first day of that was more than enough for me...lol I had to basically force feed myself a salad at the end of the day, since I hadn't eaten anything else that day...I was extremely nauseated, to the point that I was in pain. However, the next day I cut the dose in half(estimated) and was doing much better...tomorrow I plan on increasing it back up to the 0.6mg. Since Monday when I started, I've lost about 3lbs...it may be a small amount but its a start! It does curb the cravings and wanting to eat in between meals, and even when I do eat, I'm not eating as much as I normally would. I intend on continuing the medication after the 30 day trial period, luckily it's covered by my insurance.

I will keep posted if I happen to see the medication helping in any other way, and I appreciate the feed back! : )

Closed Thread