It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
(female)

specialk835 HB User
What's the next step if metformin doesn't work?

I'm 16 and I found out I have pcos around the beginning of this year. I've been on metformin since about april. I started out with 500 mg a day then I went to 1000mg, but about two weeks ago I started taking 2000mg a day. My doctor said this is the most she can prescribe me a day. I'm 5"4 and 122 lbs. and excercise regularly. I've never had my period, but my doctor is trying to start it. Does anyone know what will happen next if I don't have my period by the next time I go to my doctor? If there's anything else that I can do to start my period?

Old 10-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
(female)

IndiGirl HB User
Re: What's the next step if metformin doesn't work?

Why did your doctor put you on metformin to start your period? It's a diabetic drug to assist with insulin stabilisation. It's usually given to women with PCOS to assist in stabilising insulin to assist in weight loss. You are at a healthy weight so I don't see why you need it.

There's a couple of things you can do. First of all, you can look at your diet. A diet high in starchy carbs (sugar, bread, wheat, potato, rice, pasta, etc) can create problems if you have insulin resistence as the body reads all these things as basically sugar. You can try removing them for a while and see if there's any effect. I'd suggest at least 2 months to allow the body time to adjust.

You can also think about going to a naturopath or Traditional Chinese doctor to see about some alternative treatments. We have an acupuncturist near us who has had extremely good results helping women with fertility issues.

Another thing you can do is go on the pill. This will create an artificial regular period for you, which is fine for now, but you will need to look into fertility later on if/when you decide you want children.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
(female)

DancingEquine92 HB User

Metformin isn't working for me either. I'm 142 pounds, sometimes I skip a pill a few days but then I take one every day after that. Metformin was also causing my arms to be sore (but I read some of its side effects is muscle pain). Is my weight normal enough to not take Metformin? As of right now, it's not bringing my periods at all.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
(female)

Thrad5446 HB User

Although Met is used in diabetic patients, it is used for women with PCOS because it it helps lower the insulin, testosterone and glucose levels.

PCOS gives us a higher testosterone level then most and it should help over time. Also, know that a very high percentage of PCOS women will become insulin resistance, so the metformin will help with that.

As for the period.. that is something that can be confusing. I was diagnosed with PCOS at age 13. My periods were on and off.. and then I never had one for years. THis is common. Some women will have normal, some will have very irregular and some will have none at all.

There is nothing you can do to speed it up, but birth control can help you regulate them. Birth control let me have a normal period every month for a long time.

But metformin has a lot of benefits with women with PCOS. It can hard on the stomach, but I have been on it for years. So have many other girls I know with PCOS. It also helps a lot have children later on in life.

Reply Reply