It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
(female)

KmForbes HB User
Post PCOS Questions for the Veterans

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16yo (2003) by a pediatrician. She had to do a PAP because I was missing periods and needed to be on birth control. I have never had an insulin resistance test and my sugar has not been a problem (other than I know it drops every now and then - even though the bloodwork does not illustrate this).

I have been on Yasmin, Yaz, Ocella, and NuvaRing with no real success. The meds will work for a couple months then just stop regulating my periods.

I have noticed that several ladies in this forum have been seeing endocrinologists...is this something that is recommended?

I am also trying to lose weight. I am doing Weight Watchers and my Dr put me on Phentermin. I have lost 20lbs in three months. I am dying here...that is waaaaay too slow! I mean, I know that some weight loss is better than no weight loss...but jeez.

I would love some advice...any advice...I just do not feel like my Dr is up to par in the PCOS game.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by KmForbes; 07-03-2012 at 04:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User
Re: PCOS Questions for the Veterans

Hi- I suggest getting your thyroid checked. It could be the cause behind your PCOS and weight troubles.
Average TSH for healthy people is 1.2 (1-1.5 typical range), even though the lab range goes up to 5.5. Look up population bell curves for TSH and you will see it should be 1.2
Free thyroid hormones (free t3 and free t4) should be well above 50% of lab range, preferably in the top 1/3. Make sure they test all 3 - TSH, FT4, FT3.
Have an insulin and glucose tolerance test- fasting and 2 hr. This will be more definitive for insulin resistance. Some doctors don't know how to interpret the tests, so for your reference, fasting insulin should be less than 10 (over 10 is IR), fasting glucose should be 70-90, over 90 is a bit too much, especially for your age. Also, even if fasting insulin is low, if it increasing by 5 times or more from fasting to 2 hours, that could also indicate IR.
I don't know that weight watchers is the best diet for PCOS. Personally, I think that the South Beach diet is the best diet for weight loss, especially is there is suspicion of IR.

The Following User Says Thank You to bee01 For This Useful Post:
WhenItRains (07-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
(female)

KmForbes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee01 View Post
Hi- I suggest getting your thyroid checked. It could be the cause behind your PCOS and weight troubles.
Average TSH for healthy people is 1.2 (1-1.5 typical range), even though the lab range goes up to 5.5. Look up population bell curves for TSH and you will see it should be 1.2
Free thyroid hormones (free t3 and free t4) should be well above 50% of lab range, preferably in the top 1/3. Make sure they test all 3 - TSH, FT4, FT3.
Have an insulin and glucose tolerance test- fasting and 2 hr. This will be more definitive for insulin resistance. Some doctors don't know how to interpret the tests, so for your reference, fasting insulin should be less than 10 (over 10 is IR), fasting glucose should be 70-90, over 90 is a bit too much, especially for your age. Also, even if fasting insulin is low, if it increasing by 5 times or more from fasting to 2 hours, that could also indicate IR.
I don't know that weight watchers is the best diet for PCOS. Personally, I think that the South Beach diet is the best diet for weight loss, especially is there is suspicion of IR.
I just had some bloodwork done in the past month - I did not fast, so I will have to get that checked, but its all I have to go on for right now.

TSH - 3.50
Thyroxine, Free - 1.05 (I do not know the difference between t3 and t4, sorry)
Glucose (non fasting) - 72 mg/dl

To my knowledge...I have never had my insulin checked. I just checked back through several years of records in my online portal through my health system's database and I didn't see any insulin test results. (I also have lots of other information from my bloodwork if any of that is significant.)

My doctor said to do Weight Watchers because that is the most effective weight loss system overall. (I spoke to a student in med school recently and she said they are told that in their classes...that WW is the best and should be recommended to people trying to lose weight.) I have not tried South Beach diet before, but I will look into it.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
(female)

KmForbes HB User

Quote:
I just had some bloodwork done in the past month - I did not fast, so I will have to get that checked, but its all I have to go on for right now.

TSH - 3.50
Thyroxine, Free - 1.05 (I do not know the difference between t3 and t4, sorry)
Glucose (non fasting) - 72 mg/dl

To my knowledge...I have never had my insulin checked. I just checked back through several years of records in my online portal through my health system's database and I didn't see any insulin test results. (I also have lots of other information from my bloodwork if any of that is significant.)

My doctor said to do Weight Watchers because that is the most effective weight loss system overall. (I spoke to a student in med school recently and she said they are told that in their classes...that WW is the best and should be recommended to people trying to lose weight.) I have not tried South Beach diet before, but I will look into it.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

Hi- as I suspected, your TSH indicates that are hypothyroid. Can you post the range for your free thyroxine- this is FT4. It would help if you got an FT3 as well (free triiodothyronine). I don't know the range for your FT4 but I suspect it is something like 0.8-1.8. People with healthy thyroid function have an FT4 that is around 1.4-1.6. The fact that you have low thyroid hormone AND high TSH, means that you are hypothyroid. You could also test for thyroid antibodies, which might better convince your doctor that you are dealing with true hypothyroidism. If you look into the thyroid boards, you will see that most people with hypothyroidism have TSH and FT4 similar to yours.
I don't like WW because it causes you to obsess about food. The nice thing about south beach is that you basically eliminate sugar and all bad carbs, so you eats salads, dairy, some fat, lean meat and vegetables. I love it, and no point counting and calorie obsessing!

Old 07-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
(female)

KmForbes HB User

Quote:
Hi- as I suspected, your TSH indicates that are hypothyroid. Can you post the range for your free thyroxine- this is FT4. It would help if you got an FT3 as well (free triiodothyronine). I don't know the range for your FT4 but I suspect it is something like 0.8-1.8. People with healthy thyroid function have an FT4 that is around 1.4-1.6. The fact that you have low thyroid hormone AND high TSH, means that you are hypothyroid. You could also test for thyroid antibodies, which might better convince your doctor that you are dealing with true hypothyroidism. If you look into the thyroid boards, you will see that most people with hypothyroidism have TSH and FT4 similar to yours.
I don't like WW because it causes you to obsess about food. The nice thing about south beach is that you basically eliminate sugar and all bad carbs, so you eats salads, dairy, some fat, lean meat and vegetables. I love it, and no point counting and calorie obsessing!

My FT4 range is .52-1.21.

In your opinion, should I stick with the Dr I have and try to get her on board with these tests, or should I seek out another professional?

Reply Reply