HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos/)
-   -   TTC with PCOS... help! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos/925671-ttc-pcos-help.html)

tmoiseyy 11-01-2012 08:31 AM

TTC with PCOS... help!

Hey I am looking for some insight, advice, other personal stories, whether they be happy or not :-/ My fiancee and I are TTC, have been for 3 months. I have been on b/c for about 6 years due to really awful periods, excruciating cramps, migraines, the whole 9 yards. I went off it about 3 months ago, and no period in sight. I went to the doc who told me I have PCOS, she said she was certain of that but because of the b/c for so long it was masked. She wanted to induce a period because you should get one every 3 months at least so she prescribed Provera. I had been doing some other research and came across Vitex which is a natural way to regulate ovulation and what not. I took 2 days of the Provera (you are supposed to take it for 7-10 days, 1 pill a day, before you get a period) then I decided not to take it and go the natural root. I have been taking the Vitex for about 3 weeks now and I finally got a period on Oct 26th ending Oct 31st! I am not sure if it is from the Provera or from the Vitex. This period was way better than in the past, no cramping and very mild discomfort. I am just not suer if the 2 Provera pills did it, or if the Vitex is actually working. If there is anything else I can do, I am willing to try anything! Any advice will be helpful! Or any stories or anything. We want a baby so bad and do't want to waste any time.

Thanks!

SisterTrixy 11-01-2012 05:14 PM

Re: TTC with PCOS...help!

Has your doctor considered putting you on metformin? I hadn't gotten a period in almost a year and then I started taking metformin and got a period about a month later. They are still by no means regular but it's a start!

OverItUnderIt 11-19-2012 12:28 PM

Re: TTC with PCOS... help!

For me a low carb diet was the best thing for my fertility. My first child, I conceived the month I went off of BC, after being on it for 5 years. No problems.

2nd child, was conceived 10 years later, after many tears, PCOS dx, and taking 3 months of clomid. Actually got a BFP on my 35th day of cycle after being told I wouldnt' even ovulate that month!

3rd child conceived 8 months after 2nd was born, natural conception.

4th child, conceived 2 years after 3rd, m/c at 12 weeks, low progesterone.

5th child, conceived naturally 13 months after m/c.

Pregnancy 2-5th all were low progesterone, and I had to take oral supplement to maintain the pregnancy. I was able to conceive while doing a really low carb diet, which would really cut the sugar levels down, and give my ovaries a break from constantly being bombarded with insulin.

OverItUnderIt 11-19-2012 12:36 PM

I too have PCOS, and also have 4 beautiful children, ages 3-19. Here is what worked for me.

1. Relax-low stress always.
2. Low carb diet.
3. Exercise. Even if its just walking. That is what I did.
4. Age

I had an RE tell me to go low carb, and I didn't do it for another year after she told me. When I finally did start low carb eating, it was just as a challenge with a friend. I really didn't even think about doing it while ttc, because I didn't understand how it would benefit.

Now after 3 of my babies were conceived while doing low carb, I totally get it. If you can really limit the carbs/sugar you are consuming you will give your ovaries a break from the constant attack of insulin.

As we get older, the symptoms of PCOS tend to not be so bad. 3 of my children were all conceived when I was in my mid to late 30's. :)

OverItUnderIt 11-19-2012 12:37 PM

I too have PCOS, and also have 4 beautiful children, ages 3-19. Here is what worked for me.

1. Relax-low stress always.
2. Low carb diet.
3. Exercise. Even if its just walking. That is what I did.
4. Age

I had an RE tell me to go low carb, and I didn't do it for another year after she told me. When I finally did start low carb eating, it was just as a challenge with a friend. I really didn't even think about doing it while ttc, because I didn't understand how it would benefit.

Now after 3 of my babies were conceived while doing low carb, I totally get it. If you can really limit the carbs/sugar you are consuming you will give your ovaries a break from the constant attack of insulin.

As we get older, the symptoms of PCOS tend to not be so bad. 3 of my children were all conceived when I was in my mid to late 30's. :)

BabyBplease 02-14-2013 12:30 PM

This has been really helpful as I too have the same issue as the tmoiseyy. I have irregular periods due to PCOS and have been trying for 6 months. Want to do it naturally if possible so will start no Carbs from tomorrow! :-) thanks ladies x