HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos/)
-   -   Diagnosed with PCOS - looking for success stories (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos/929248-diagnosed-pcos-looking-success-stories.html)

Cards 11-27-2012 06:30 AM

Diagnosed with PCOS - looking for success stories

Hey girls,

So glad I found this forum. I'm just looking for some encouragement. My husband and I have been TTC since January with no luck. I was on BC for 12 years, I went off last December. I've actually had pretty regular periods since going off BC, anywhere from 27-31 days. I haven't missed a period, but I always new that something was wrong. I have always had horrific periods, and I started when I was 11. So, we decided to get checked out.
We went to my gynocologist last week and she did an ultrasound, then diagnosed me with PCOS. Well, I cried like a freakin baby. Ha, Im such a loser. So, she put me on Metformin (1,000 MG/day). And Chlomid as well. I started the Metformin last week and will start Chlomid in a couple weeks, after my cycle starts. The good thing is, my bloodwork came back fine.
I'm curious about the side effects with Metformin. Since I started taking it, I am EXHAUSTED. Also, I've had diarrhea and been pretty nauseous. Is this normal? Do any of you girls have these symptoms? Was wondering if there was a way to illeviate them at all. I think I did figure out that if I eat a fatty meal, the symptoms are A LOT worse. So, I'm going to stay away from grease and fatty foods. I've also been very thirsty.
Also curious if any of you have success stories with these medicines? I'm just feeling a little down right now, looking for some encouragement :) I pray that this medicine works! She told me there is a higher chance that we could have multiples, but, at this point, we'll just be happy to be pregnant!
Thanks in advance!!

WhenItRains 11-29-2012 10:57 AM

Re: Diagnosed with PCOS - looking for success stories

Hi,sorry you have not had not had any responses.

I have been on Metformin for a few months now,and for me,it absolutely DID get better.At first I had all the same symptoms as you,horrible diarrhea,and just felt nauseous all the time.Your body should eventually get used to it though and you will adjust.
I still have flare ups,but like you mentioned it is worse with certain foods.
For me it isn't fatty foods,but anything high carb or sugary. (my boyfriend made this peanut butter pie and I only had one slice and ended up on the toilet ALL NIGHT LONG!!)

I do still feel tired a lot,but mostly it's just right after I take the Metformin.So,since I'm on it twice a day,I try to take it in afternoon or evening to stave off the tiredness as long as I can.

I have lost ten pounds on it,and my periods have become regular again,so for me,that is somewhat of a success story.

I'm not trying to get pregnant though,so I can't really say about that.
Although you may want to also ask about Spironolactone too.
I have heard that it increases your fertility,and while I was on that alone I did get pregnant (but had a miscarriage).

If you do get pregnant while taking Spiro,you will need to stop taking it right away because it can feminize a male embryo.Hope this helps!