It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
(female)

nazzer1989 HB User
just want someone to talk to

hey all,

never been on a forum before, not really sure what im doing but just need someone else to talk to who might be in the same situation, and a little bit of extra support is always good right.

so ive had PCOS for a few years now and it didnt bother me at the start, wasnt having periods and was quite glad of it.

life has been upside down and inside out since then and am now in a very loving relationship with our wedding day set for 7th sept 2013

ive been on metformin for a year solid now and ive gone from no periods at all to one every month which is great, painful sometimes as we all know but hey i put up with it.

nothing was happening so i went to see my family GP, he booked me in for a blood test and it came back inconclusive, next month he sent me back again. i couldnt get to see him with the results from the 2nd one so went with my partner to see a different doctor, who sent him for a test in january and booked my in at the hospital to see a fertility doc. (i guess getting a second opinion can sometimes be good)

so we went today to see the doctor, he was impressed that i had lost weight as im on the cambridge diet, lost 2 stone in 6 weeks. next stage is a ink x-ray test and another blood test. thats not what im worrying about so much, the doctor told me that metformin in some cases has been proven not to work and suggested i stop taking them, at least a week before my blood test but after that, stop taking all together as ive done well with the weight loss program im on.

so if i stop taking them will my periods stop again? i dont want that to happen and forgot to ask him, has anyone else been told this by a doctor? and what happened. im sure in my case, if i lose more weight and get my BMI down my hormones will surely level themselves out, just cant help but feel sometimes its something not so simple.

thanks for reading though, sorry i seemed to have gone on a bit...
would be grateful for a reply.

thanks again

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
(female)

spacehopper HB User
Re: just want someone to talk to

Congratulations on the wedding!

Not sure about metformin, but I know it helps you lose weight, so I'd personally stay on it if it were me - i.e. if you have more weight to lose, otherwise it will become harder to diet.

You may want to switch to a low carb diet if you do - I did 'pig2twig' for a few weeks and lost loads and its very PCOS friendly. Hard to do if your hubsand likes mcdonalds though!

Old 01-11-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
(female)

Caligurl266 HB User
Re: just want someone to talk to

Ive been taking metformin for 6 years now..there as a time period that I didn't take it for a year and I still had my periods every month...and yes they say it helps with loosing weight

Last edited by Caligurl266; 01-11-2013 at 02:06 AM.

Reply Reply