It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
(female)

deb416 HB User
Question No signs of PCOS

My 17 year old granddaughter (lives with me) was just diagnosed with PCOS. She has none of the symptoms of it. She is a very health teen who weighs 115lbs. She has no abnormal hair growth, acne or any of the other outward symptoms of PCOS. Her biggest problem is she has been bleeding almost constantly (20 out of 30 days a month) for the last 2 years. She has tried just about every birth control there is out there. Nothing worked for her. She just had a sonogram done and was told she had PCOS. Well, after reading about it I find this very hard to believe. What gives? I would have to say she has absolutely none of the symptoms.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:42 AM   #2
(female)

sambko HB User
Re: No signs of PCOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb416 View Post
My 17 year old granddaughter (lives with me) was just diagnosed with PCOS. She has none of the symptoms of it. She is a very health teen who weighs 115lbs. She has no abnormal hair growth, acne or any of the other outward symptoms of PCOS. Her biggest problem is she has been bleeding almost constantly (20 out of 30 days a month) for the last 2 years. She has tried just about every birth control there is out there. Nothing worked for her. She just had a sonogram done and was told she had PCOS. Well, after reading about it I find this very hard to believe. What gives? I would have to say she has absolutely none of the symptoms.
that's the same with me. Really no symptoms. I am 37 yrs old, 5'6" and 125 lbs, no excessive weight and no hair growth either (but I do have acne). I have about 10 cysts on each ovary - my doc compared it to a golf ball with its little dimples. Each dimple is a cyst. I was on the pill but then went off to save money (even with my health insurance I had to pay $50. For a while I was paying $25 and then the price gradually increased). Did your granddaughter ever have the D&C operation to fix the excessive bleeding?

Last edited by sambko; 07-13-2013 at 04:43 AM. Reason: D&C

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User
Re: No signs of PCOS

I would have her seen by an endo. Cysts on your ovaries don't mean a woman has pcos but some doctors will make that leap, cysts can occur with or without pcos and some women with pcos don't even have them. I had very heavy menstrual bleeding during my period with pcos but the pill did fix it but I also have other symptoms of pcos including insulin resistance and weight gain for example. primary care docs aren't that good at diagnosing it and if a women doesn't have enough of the typical symptoms (because pcos is basically a set of symptoms not a disease) then it shouldn't be diagnosed in case it is some other condition

Reply Reply