It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2003, 06:14 PM   #1

GoldfingerFan HB User
Question Cant Remember ****!!!

Okay Maybe

Last edited by GoldfingerFan; 03-11-2004 at 12:41 AM.

Old 12-05-2003, 06:37 PM   #2

GoldfingerFan HB User
Re: Cant Remember ****!!!

Another thing,

Last edited by GoldfingerFan; 03-11-2004 at 12:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2003, 06:38 PM   #3

rainonwindow HB User

I have always had a very poor memory and as a teen I remembered very little of my childhood. No - it desn't mean that you were abused. What it probably means is that you are like many, many people on this planet who don't have great memories. The majority of people don't remember their childhood clearly. I know many people who can't even remember last year clearly.

It sounds like you are shy. That is normal also.

There are medications that can help if you have difficulties with anxiety or depression.

Shyness has a large genetic component - so does anxiety and depression. It doesn't mean that you were abused if you have these things.

Last edited by rainonwindow; 12-05-2003 at 06:42 PM.

Old 12-05-2003, 06:56 PM   #4

GoldfingerFan HB User

thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by GoldfingerFan; 03-11-2004 at 12:40 AM.

Old 12-06-2003, 09:40 PM   #5

rainonwindow HB User

You need to do what feels right for you. You can perhaps tell your parents that you have a question that is troubling you - a question you feel the need to ask but yet are afraid to ask. And of course it is also okay to simply set the issue aside and direct your thoughts towards other things.

Old 12-07-2003, 08:18 AM   #6

rainonwindow HB User

Perhaps what would help you most is working on your shyness so you can be a little more at ease around people. Do your parents understand the awkwardness you feel around people?

Old 01-06-2004, 03:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

Many people remember quite little about their childhood bar some very strong experiences, and most do not remember anything from before they began to speak. If you talk to a six to 10 year old child, you will often find it VERY difficult to convince them that they themselves were "little" once and couldn't walk (much of your childhood is spent living more or less in the present).

The older you get the less you remember (if you are like 10 then you're probably more likely to remember things from a few years before, but then later teens to adulthood you forget more) although some experiences will come back to you again, either from being in the same place again (say you go for a day trip and remember how you went there as a kid) or spontaneously.

Neither of this means you have been abused though!

Also, many people's memories of childhood are social, i.e. strongly bound to other people, what they did/said, things done in groups with friends and so on.

If you have trouble with social interaction due to being shy, then it is possible that this may be the cause of diminished childhood memories as well.

Inhibited Perfectionist

Last edited by Redhead23; 01-06-2004 at 04:00 AM.

Old 02-11-2004, 07:02 PM   #8

TheSlayer HB User

hi all-I too suffer from memory loss of my childhood-not completely though-I remember certain hinglike I was repeatedly molested by my older brother but I don't remember all the incidents just some specific ones-and as far as other things I really don't remember-it is a defense mechanism used by our brains to protect us-but damn is it wierd! I usually discover missing memories by my nightmares-now I know the difference between dreams and reality-if anyone else has this happen then you know what I'm talking about-you know its a repressed memor by the way it makes you feel like "whoa-I do remember that now" Things in my life have just recently started getting good-I have a wonderful husband of 4 great years noe 2 great kids and I am now able to trust someone for real now-but this is when the nightmares happen-when you are in a safe situation or your brain is ready to deal with the reality of the certain events-at any rate-someone you can trust like a counselor or a really understanding friend or whatever is right for you-but I would have to say don't try to uncover things alone-we always need someone...good luck to you! I hope things get better...the slayer

Closed Thread