It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2003, 08:55 PM   #1

AngelB24 HB User
Question could it be PTSD?

Is it possible to have PTSD and not realize it?? A couple of months ago I was mildly sexually assaulted by an almost parental figure (who was much much older than me), and who I knew and trusted for a long time. It really shook me up, but now I don't feel anything about it. I'm almost numb, and a lot of times I don't have much feeling about anything... and its strange because I am usually very emotional about things. Ive had a little withdrawel from social situations and Ive lost a lot of weight (also very strange). I honestly didnt even think about what happened to me until I saw this site, and realized I might be haboring feelings inside (even though I can't feel them). Are all these things likely to be just an effect of going to college or my own way of dealing with a very traumatic thing that happened to me?

Old 12-17-2003, 10:30 AM   #2
Inactive

sweetpoison68 HB User
Re: could it be PTSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelB24
Is it possible to have PTSD and not realize it?? A couple of months ago I was mildly sexually assaulted by an almost parental figure (who was much much older than me), and who I knew and trusted for a long time. It really shook me up, but now I don't feel anything about it. I'm almost numb, and a lot of times I don't have much feeling about anything... and its strange because I am usually very emotional about things. Ive had a little withdrawel from social situations and Ive lost a lot of weight (also very strange). I honestly didnt even think about what happened to me until I saw this site, and realized I might be haboring feelings inside (even though I can't feel them). Are all these things likely to be just an effect of going to college or my own way of dealing with a very traumatic thing that happened to me?
How do you get mildly sexually abused? It sounds to me like maybe you just dont want to deal with this molestation is just that there are no mild forms what happened to you was not right ..Even worse is that you said it was a parental figure......Being NUMB is definetely what happens after being abused.I thought because in my situation that he didnt penetrate me that i would be ok.I now beleieve 22 years later that any touching of my body w/out my permission is molestation and has the same results.I abused my self for years because i thought well if my family wont do anything about this i must not be worth it!!You are worth it and you should make that call to a therapist...Dont try and go this on your own like i did,You will save yourself and future partners alot of grief if you just do it NOW!!!!! I am not trying to attack you just being honest...
SP68

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2004, 06:20 AM   #3

Marrisa HB User
Re: could it be PTSD?

I understand what you mean by saying "mild" sexual abuse. But sweetie, it's no less devestating to be molested or "not raped" It's still someone with more power doing something to make you feel helpless and not in control of yourself.
You know, when I was in fifth grade, a boy held me down on the back of the bus to feel me all over. Even though it was a kid my age, I was mortified and afraid. I've always thought of that as mild, but it's impact with everything else going on around me was big.
Your symptoms may very well be ptsd.
Marrisa

Closed Thread