It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2003, 01:42 AM   #1

misskatie HB User
Lightbulb Huntington's Disease

I cared for a special lady who had Huntington's Disease. I was so sorry I could not find anthing on the net regarding how to care for someone in their last 6 months of life. We (caregivers) worried and wanted to know what she was going through and what might we expect. What is it about Huntington's Disease that causes a person to die from it?

Old 12-22-2003, 05:02 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

stacydl HB User
Re: Huntington's Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskatie
I cared for a special lady who had Huntington's Disease. I was so sorry I could not find anthing on the net regarding how to care for someone in their last 6 months of life. We (caregivers) worried and wanted to know what she was going through and what might we expect. What is it about Huntington's Disease that causes a person to die from it?
I think that a person with huntington's becomes completely dependent on others for all of their care due to progressive degeneration of the brain cells and resulting dementia. I think that they eventually die from infection, heart failure, or choking. I have done some research on this. My grandfather had 12 brothers and sisters, all but he and one sister died of HD. He died of a heart attack at the age of 49 and at that time he showed no symptoms. I was slightly concerned though because it's hereditary so I researched it. It would be unusual for him to have had no symptoms by age 49 and since none of his children show any signs, I think we are safe. But I know how devastating of a disease it is, I know my dad saw most of his aunts, uncles, and many cousins already die from the disease.
Hope that helped a little bit.
Stacy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread