It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2004, 04:47 PM   #1

vixation HB User
EMDR for treatment of PTSD? Also biopolar

[FONT=Tahoma]]
Hi Folks,
In September '03 I was diagnosed as being Bipolar and just this week realized from my therapist that I also suffer from PTSD. In 1981 I witnessed my husband's suicide, where he ran his motorcycle into a stucco wall while I stook by. I had to try to function after this trauma and kinda just went on with my life, although flashes of it still pop into my brain, along with much abuse I had suffered, as this individual also stalked me... It would have been a murder/suicide, as he tried to get me to leave with him on that bike. But God protected me and kept me from doing so. This is etched in my mind but has never really been dealt with and I know it has affected me on a very deep level subconsciously. My therapist, who has been helping me deal with bipolar, I believe I have always been, has given me a book on EMDR, which stands for Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. It is a method used by trained, licensed mental health counselors. The book makes the claim that millions have overcome severe trauma that lives on inside of them...veterans from Vietnam have been helped along with others that have experienced severe trauma. (Oklahoma City bombing victims/survivors) I am going to finish this book and begin therapy, as well as being tried on diffferent things to help the imbalance within my brain, which is labeled bipolar disorder. It's no wonder...you can only put so much crap in a can til it overflows!!! Anyone ever heard of this effective therapy that sounds wonderful?? EMDR is what it is referred to. I am trying to read more on the web about it but have been unable to locate anything.

Peace.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2004, 05:51 PM   #2
Inactive

Mission_Void HB User
Re: EMDR for treatment of PTSD? Also biopolar

vixation, I don't know anything about that and this is my first visit to this forum. I have depression, anxiety, and can't say I don't have anything else. I liked what you said earlier,"It's no wonder...you can only put so much crap in a can til it overflows!!! Yeh! I think my cup runneth over.

I did some reading up on P.T.S.D. and a large % of people can get it or have it at some point in there lives. A say large, well maybe around 30-50% have experienced something traumatic in their life. Some people retain it all their lives. What a drag.

Since anti-depressants don't work for me I am searching into different areas. I am seeing a psychologist, but have recently started. I don't know what is totally wrong with me. I had an alcoholic dad and grew up in that dysfunctional household. I grew up in fear and it seems over exagerated, at least to me. More research needed there.

Fear is my biggest problem I would say. I won't go into a lot of detail, but I have been that way most of my life. I'm in my 40's now. I live alone and am on S.S.D. Rheumatoid arthritis took it's toll on me. I last worked June 2001.

Anyway I found your post interesting and EMDR. I already forgot what it stands for. I can go back and read your post. P.T.S.D. is just something to consider. Im my case I can't rule it out. Take care. MV

Last edited by Mission_Void; 01-27-2004 at 05:54 PM.

Old 02-02-2004, 04:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

I was in counselling about 2 years ago, after I was diagnosed as having depression and PTSD, after a sexual assault when I was 16 (I'm 20 now). The counsellor did EMDR with me (although I never really liked it--it kind of irritated my eyes--I don't know how to explain it), and she claimed that I was getting better and better with every visit. And although at the time, I think I kind of was getting better, I don't think it was because of the EMDR, I think it was mostly due to anti depressants. But that's not to say that it won't work for you, because as everybody knows, everyone's different, and what doesn't work for one, could quite possibly work for another. I still find myself thinking about the incident that took place when I was 16, and having "flashbacks" (I don't know in great detail what flashbacks actually are defined as being, but I think that's what's going on with me), so I may need more counselling or something to help get rid of it (although I don't really believe that counselling works wonders). Anyways, I'm really sorry to hear about what happened to you--no kidding that's a very traumatic event and it's understandable that you're not over it yet. Take care of yourself, and definitely do try the EMDR--it very well may do the trick!

Old 02-04-2004, 10:40 PM   #4

suzi47cmt HB User

Hi Vixation,
Sorry I did not see your post sooner. But I REALLY wanted to reply, as my daughter and a VERY close friend have both been helped IMMENSLY by this EMDR therapy. I was seeing a counselor, who was very well trained in this method, and referred my daughter to him. It worked wonders for her. It IS very hard to find ANYTHING on this therapy written anywhere. The counselor has left our area, and I really cannot find much more on EMDR than a book he had given me on it, and some papers he had passed along to me from his training, and followup seminars he had been to.

Good luck. Let us know if you go through the therapy, and what you think of it.

God bless.

Suzi

Old 02-06-2004, 06:57 AM   #5
(female)

nena4834 HB User

Hi!

I am a fellow PTSD sufferer and have been for 13 yrs. I also am in EMDR therapy and must admit that I have been amazed at the difference it has made. My counselor is a really good in that he doesn't push on just using the EMDR but alternates it with counseling. At first it felt too good to be true and I too did a lot of research on it before, but what did I have to lose (now I only wished that I had done as much research on Zoloft when I started taking it!). I encourage you to try it, it won't hurt to try.

I hope that all works out well for you! Keep us posted!

cookie

Old 02-08-2004, 09:07 PM   #6
Inactive

pfunk HB User

Hi. I don't mean to to be a cynic or anything but from what I have read about EMDR it kinda scares me. I mean maybe I am paranoid about people due to being raped but it sounds a little bit brain washy in its description which scares me a lot. Plus, in my experience the vast majority of mental health professionals are not made of strong moral fiber.

Closed Thread