It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2004, 02:15 AM   #1

carmanjc HB User
Re: PTSD from hormonal imbalance

Hey, thank you! I've been coping all my life with what is probably low-level PTSD from a dysfunctional family upbringing. Do I experience flashbacks? No. Do I have the "intrusive memory"? Every day, multiple times a day. I was also a child with panic attacks and had high blood sugar by the time I was 19.

I coped by (1) getting away from the family by joining the Navy, (2) getting control of the blood sugar by losing weight, and (3) improving nutrition (the nutritionist targeted my thyroid and adrenals as being extremely suboptimal). This has made the condition better, manageable (I no longer snarl at people unreasonably, become paralyzed in response to stimuli, nor do I lose as many nights of sleep) but has not been optimal.

Even as a baby I was having panic attacks, so I was physiologically pre-conditioned. . .

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to find a connection between these particular hormones and PTSD. Because I've long known that the particular dysfunctional family would not have created such long-term effects in a more "robust" individual--but I also know that that doesn't make it my fault (as they try to tell me).

Old 06-14-2004, 01:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

This is all interesting. So after my brother died, I was traumatized. I haven't been fully diagnosed with PTSD, but my therapist is hinting. She is not a doctor but is hinting along with PD. Well the PD came from the trauma of my brother dieing on his way up to me from the VA Hospital in Danville, Illinois. I was abandoned by my father when I was 11, gang raped when I was 15 and then raped by two men when I was 17. I've been abused verbally by men, etc. had a car accident (head on collision) two years ago, then my brother died in the ambulance up to Chicago, not even 20 mintues out of the VA Hospital and they treated him like ****! So what do you think? Definitely PTSD, right? I had a major panic attack coming back in my car while someone else was driving, thank God, after cleaning my brothers apartment not even 5 days after I buried him. Then I was driving home in the dark and just began to have panic attacks everywhere, almost all the way home. Then I got them to stop, then they came back, went into ER, gave me Xanax, went home, kept having them with major hot flashes. I'm 45, so my perimenopause just got worse. Periods were totally off. Kept checking my thyroid and it's normal. Now, asked all my doctors for an adrenaline test, my gyne performed DHEA and that was normal. None of my doctors would perform an adrenaline test on me. They all looked at me as if I were crazy! They said no! But isn't this how you test the cortisol? And with as many panic attacks that I've had in the recent past, would this not knock my adrenaline's off balance? Anyways, therapy has been great, need still alot of work since I waited until I was 45 to do this. But I was just curious as to the originality of this post and would like to know the test that needs to be done so I can push to have this happen. Or do you think the dhea test by blood was enough. At least it told my gyne that I had no adrenaline tumors.

Let me know,

Thanks,

Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2004, 05:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Chris, what is an Osteopath Doctor? You are not talking about a Chiropracter, are you? I will definitely take your advice. I appreciate all the input in your last post to me. Will a Psychiatrist run these tests?

Andrea

Old 06-15-2004, 06:07 AM   #4

apinecone HB User

Thanks chris! And ainfante and carmanjc! I was relating in another post how I have an auto-immune deficiency link to PTSD. Now just add some hormone storms and voila! But seriously, it does reinforce your remark about how we're awash in chemicals. I hate to mention this, but I think of it every time one of these kinds of epiphanies occurs to me-- what the marine in 'full metal jacket' sez: "I AM in a world of *****". I know, who needs depression 2. On a lighter note, tho, the farther away from the eddies of these imbalances, the better. Which brings me to the basic difference between Eastern and Western approaches to medicine: the Eastern seeks to build the body up from the inside and make it more resistant to disease, while the Western tends to be reactive. This area we're talking about seems to be much more responsive to the former approach. Palliative meds aren't near as good as building up your immune system and balancing your hormones, or in decreasing toxin levels from eg cloridia and such.

The Following User Says Thank You to apinecone For This Useful Post:
the mad katter (01-16-2011)
Old 06-15-2004, 10:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgj
I've never heard of a psych doc using hydro so it would be pointless to ask him to run tests. Osteopath would be your best bet. I've heard some chiropracters double as naturopaths or osteopaths, but I can't say much about that combo being any good.

Remember psych docs are trained to use crazy meds, not to test and find out what your hormones are really doing. They guess with the medication.

Chris

I got it, okay, I will call my insurance company and see if Osteopath is covered. Thanks for all the support and info.

Andrea

Old 12-16-2004, 08:35 AM   #6

vikkiS127 HB User

Help, my doctor says that I have PTSD. I am on Myacardia for my blood presure it was 175 orve 110 and lexapro for the hypersensitivity. Now he is starting me on Zanax because I am not talarating the Lexapro. When I pick up anything it feels like it is cutting me. And walking is very painful, I tell my self..this is not really hurting me as I walk across the grass. I would really like to do something that ZI know would work and help rather than just take drugs that may or may not help. What do you think. Please Help. Vicki

Old 12-16-2004, 08:44 AM   #7

vikkiS127 HB User

One more thing. My husband Broke his neck 2 1/2 years ago. There have been three 5 operations and a lot of stress. So I do understand why I might have this PTSD. My Husband is not paralized and has just resently started picking up some of the things he use to do and taking away some of the thing that I have had to do over the years. So I am a little confussed about why now would I get this PSTD thing now that things are getting a little better and easier for me. Except that we are still having to deal with workmens comp that don't ay when the should and now it is coming to an end and they don't like the out come so they are giving us more stress. but then I have hyad other stress in my life that I have delt with and never had these systems before. Any ideas?

Closed Thread