It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2004, 01:52 PM   #1

AliceB777 HB User
Is this considered PTSD?

Let me give you some background info. He worked in the World Financial Center, which was attached to the WTC by a walk ramp. Luckily for all of us, he was on a business trip to Washington, D.C. that week and was away during the horror.

I think this is part of the problem. He wasn't in NY to help his friends, and in Washington he felt like an outsider (the office there was also evacuated because of the plane hitting the Pentagon). He felt isolated.

None of his friends were hurt, but their office experienced major damage. For the next 15 months, they were relocated to NJ. He lived in Brooklyn -- a 2 1/2 hour commute each way, which he did while working 10 hour shifts/4 days a week. He basically woke up, commuted to work, worked, then went home and crashed, then got up in the morning and started again. On the 3 days he was off, the slept! When they told him they were going to have him do that 5 days a week, he balked. He handed in his resignation. This was 16 months ago.

He has sent out more resumes than he can count, but only had a few interviews. His field (computer support) has few openings. He has a history of alcoholism, but has been dry for 5 years (luckily).

His unemployment has run out, and so has his savings. He won't let us help him, and is about to lose his apartment. He is so depressed it scares me -- he had been suicidal during the alcohol rehab.

He won't move in with us (I have to do this myself, because I am the one who f***ed up!), and he won't see a therapist. I can't even get him to go to AA meetings.

Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2004, 11:47 AM   #2

Polaris HB User
Re: Is this considered PTSD?

This could be PSTD, but it could also be a major depressive episode. I am not sure you are going to be able to help someone, who obviously doesn't want to admit what is really happening in his life. Unless this person is able to see it with their own eyes, it is very difficult for anyone to help them.

I wish you the best of luck!
P

Closed Thread