It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2004, 05:21 PM   #1

Mae_Sutton HB User
An absolute mystery... please help

I live in America and have been searching the Web for medical advice. - I am one of those rare people who have never been seriously ill or injured. I am therefore one of those people who have never been to the doctor as an adult and, as a result, I am simply terrified of them, however I think I may have no choice but to deal with that suddenly. About 6 mos ago, I had a severe emotional shock due to the actions of a friend. My lymph nodes under my right arm only became inflamed, which lasted for no more than 48 hours and then suddenly I began to have a pins and needles sensation in my hands and legs and especially my feet. It lead to a bizarre feeling of static electricity all over my body, in varying degrees. Believing that my nerves just needed time to recover, and knowing that numbness can be a long-term symptom of shock, I let it go. In the interim, I was under a tremendous amount of stress from a new job that turned out badly, so badly that I had no choice to quit before I had another. The entire time the tingling persisted but worsened in my legs. I can feel temperature, pain, and pressure in my calves but my skin reacts to all other sensations there as if coated in plastic. My thighs are almost the same. It takes the nerves time to relay that anything else, and my own hand creates a feedback of more "static". Any impact sends the nerves into a tailspin. I can't run more than a few steps without being driven crazy but the sensation stops as soon as I stop moving. Over the past few days my torso muscles have also been tightening but there is no sign of tension in them when I touch them. None of this has made me change my lifestyle but I just today began a new job, a great one, and I don't want this to ruin that so I am working to overcome my terror of the doctor. I have never heard of symptoms like these before and am hoping I might have a clue as to what I ccould be facing, what tests might have to be done, etc. It's all strange and terrifying to me. My health otherwise is perfect, breathing, digestion, excretion, healing cuts, etc. are all fine. I can't recall when I last had a cold. Could someone help me gain a clue as to what all this could mean.

Last edited by Mae_Sutton; 04-26-2004 at 05:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2004, 06:10 PM   #2

Really HB User
Re: An absolute mystery... please help

If I had your symptoms I would be scared to NOT SEE A DOCTOR!

GET to a doctor! doctors help people!

You may want to seek help from a psychologyst to help you get over the terror of seeing a doctor.

Old 05-17-2004, 03:20 PM   #3

Tanki HB User

Definatly go talk to your doctor, possibly get some tests run, it's better to know and get treated then to leave it and let it get worse and not know what you are dealing with.

Old 08-31-2004, 04:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Hi Mae. First of all, everyone is right here, you should be checked out by a doctor and possibly a neurologist. Have all blood work done, liver, cholesterol, thyroid, adrenaline, etc. But what I want to say, being that I have suffered from trauma and shock, is shock and trauma will do weird, very weird things to your body. I have had a lot if not all of your symptoms and it takes the body's nervous system a long time to get over this. the only way you are going to get over this is by releasing the trauma and that means releasing the energy in the nervous system. I would read up on trauma and shock and then also get into therapy.

Andrea

Closed Thread