It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2004, 07:45 PM   #1

LuckyRed HB User
Exclamation PTSD - Going on No Sleep - Can't talk to family

I am bi-polar and yesterday my counselor told me I had PTSD. Several years ago an ex-husband beat me badly and tried to choke me to death. She says I just now feel like I am in a safe place so it is coming out several times a night in dreams. I barely sleep but when I do I have these awful dreams. Sometimes I talk or scream in my sleep. The concept of "no sleep" is not getting through to my family and the more I tell them about it the more they make fun of me or antagonize me. So I cannot talk to them anymore. I need someone to talk to about this that understands. Thanks.

Old 05-11-2004, 08:42 AM   #2

Polaris HB User
Re: PTSD - Going on No Sleep - Can't talk to family

LuckyRed,

It is very good that you have spoken to a counselor about this and I would strongly recommend that you continue to speak to them. If you are able to find a therapist in your area that does cognitive behavioral therapy, I would recommend this as well. I suffer with bipolar II, general anxiety disorder and PTSD. Most of this stems from my childhood. I am currently on Depakote ER (750mg) and Ativan (1mg) per day for my symptoms, but I will have to say, if I had not been through cognitive behavioral therapy, I certainly don't think I would be as mentally healthy as I am today. Needless to say, I am not cured, but I have been able to find ways to enhance my life greatly.

I am so sorry that your family chooses to treat you in such a poor manner, especially suffering with the illnesses you do. Please come here to vent as much as possible. We are here to help you with information as well as just to read your posts and reply when we can help.

Good luck!
P

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2004, 08:10 PM   #3

Swalk HB User

I recently started talking to a therapist that thinks I have ptsd Im so sorry your family does not support you, its so important you have someone to talk to. Do they not understand how serious this is? Maybe your closest family memember could go with you? to see its nothing that should be made fun of.
Im glad I found this website, for me its been great support.

Old 05-17-2004, 03:16 PM   #4

Tanki HB User

What your doctor is saying is very true. You start to remember such things when it's time to heal. That is also the reasons for flashbacks, and remembering things out of the blue one day. I hope you seek the help you need, and are able to hear from this.

I was an in abusive relationship and also suffer from PTSD, but it is much easier now, I'm so postive about it, I feel empowered, and it took me 8 years to be able to do this. Plus therapy, understanding and letting myself Live with the REGRET that it did happen, and not being stuck in the past anymore, I use to be plauged with PTSD now i'm doing really good. No more nightmares, rarely any triggers or body memories, but it was hard long road, and I think I am at the end of it now.

Good luck to you on your healing journey.

Closed Thread