It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2004, 08:00 PM   #1

Swalk HB User
PTSD or post par depression? any clue?

For over 10 years now I have dealt with mild depression and alot of anxiety, my baby is a few months old, this is my second child my first is 7
Ive been unable to think the last month, hold a conversation Im sad Im anxious I cant sleep when I eat I feel like Im going to be sick, I dont have any desire for sex.
I dont cry alot I feel a lil sad I miss my kids because I work.
I went to see a therapist she said she thinks I suffer more from ptsd then post partum, there were so bad things that happened to me as a kid and she thinks thats why this is a off and on thing with me....
I dont know what to think I have "symptoms" of both.

any advice Id appreciate.

Old 05-17-2004, 03:19 PM   #2

Tanki HB User
Re: PTSD or post par depression? any clue?

It could be post pardum depression, it's hard to tell.

I suffer from GAD, Clincal depression and PTSD. The only way to really get that diagnosis is from a doctor, and get treatment for it if that is the case. It does sound like depression, but again it's something I can tell you that you have when I'm not a doctor. It's best to go and talk to someone about this, and get some treatment... Good luck to you on your healing journey, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel, and i'm sure you will get there. Just takes time, and alot of paitents.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2004, 07:20 PM   #3

Swalk HB User

What is GAD? I am seeing a therapist now, just started so I know it will be a long road.

Old 05-17-2004, 07:22 PM   #4

Swalk HB User
Red face Re: PTSD or post par depression? any clue?

What is GAD? I am seeing a therapist now, just started so I know it will be a long road.

Old 05-18-2004, 09:32 AM   #5

Tanki HB User

GAD is Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Quote:
Excessive anxiety and worry (apprehensive expectation), occurring more days than not for at least six months, about a number of events or activities (such as work or school performance).

The person finds it difficult to control the worry.

The anxiety and worry are associated with three (or more) of the following six symptoms (with at least some symptoms present for more days than not for the past six months). NOTE: Only one item is required in children.
Restlessness or feeling keyed up or on edge
Being easily fatigued
Difficulty concentrating or mind going blank
Irritability
Muscle tension
Sleep disturbance (difficulty falling or staying asleep, or restless unsatisfying sleep)
The focus of the anxiety and worry is not confined to features of an Axis I disorder, e.g., the anxiety or worry is not about having a panic attack (as in Panic Disorder), being embarrassed in public (as in Social Phobia), being contaminated (as in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder), being away from home or close relatives (as in Separation Anxiety Disorder), gaining weight (as in Anorexia Nervosa), having multiple physical complaints (as in Somatization Disorder), or having a serious illness (as in Hypochondriasis), and the anxiety and worry do not occur exclusively during Post-traumatic Stress Disorder.

The anxiety, worry or physical symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational or other important areas of functioning

Old 05-18-2004, 06:56 PM   #6

Swalk HB User

WOW I have about all those symptoms I just started seeing a therapist who knows what she will dx me with, thanks for all the info and good luck to you!

Old 05-19-2004, 11:53 AM   #7

Tanki HB User

I'm so happy you are seeing a therapist. I've been with my psychiatrist for 8 years, and she has helped me out greatly.

I wish you the best of luck on your road to recovery.

Old 05-19-2004, 08:02 PM   #8

Swalk HB User

thank you! 8 years wow Im hoping to be fixed in 8 sessions! I know that will not happen though!
thanks!

Old 05-20-2004, 11:18 AM   #9

Tanki HB User

Swalk, if you can be one of those people that can get it done in 8 session you will probably be one of the first ... Whether you are dealing with PTSD or depression, anxiety or OCD it's always a long road, it doesn't come as easily, there will always be something in the road to halt you even if it's for a moment, but you just keep plowing forward.

I'm very knowledgable about PTSD, GAD and Depression, so I know now what's helped me, if I knew ever 6 years ago as much as I know now I wonder where I'd be.

Doesn't matter though, it happened for a reason, and i'm ok with that.

Good luck in your recovery. You already have a pretty good attitude I think, so I think this will go just fine... even if it does get tough don't give up.

Old 05-20-2004, 11:19 AM   #10

Tanki HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgj
No matter is it is PTSD, post partum or something else, its all hormonal. Your symptoms match with hypothyoidism and low estrogen. Adrenal glands maybe low too (low cortisol production).

Chris

You got to remember too though, that it's still a disorder, or a condition that should be treated. PTSD is different however then post Partum, and has to do with trauma of some sort, not hormonal. There could be I guess some of that in there, but they are different.

Closed Thread