It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2004, 08:02 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Eye twitches, muscle twitches.

Does anyone get eye twitches or muscle twitches while they are going through the hypervigilance through Prost Trauma? It's really annoying.

Andrea

Old 06-19-2004, 09:53 AM   #2

apinecone HB User
Re: Eye twitches, muscle twitches.

Hi. Sorry to hear about that! PTSD has effects like that; it's kind of like 'aftershocks' after an earthquake. Neurological effects are intermittent, and tend to affect physical areas like muscles, esp. eye muscles because they tend to be 'tired' often; also, neck or shoulder or arm muscles that are under stress [like a crick in your neck can cause a muscle to twitch] -- these are 'simple' tics. They should abate; if they don't, then you should definitely see your doc. Hope you're better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2004, 03:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apinecone
Hi. Sorry to hear about that! PTSD has effects like that; it's kind of like 'aftershocks' after an earthquake. Neurological effects are intermittent, and tend to affect physical areas like muscles, esp. eye muscles because they tend to be 'tired' often; also, neck or shoulder or arm muscles that are under stress [like a crick in your neck can cause a muscle to twitch] -- these are 'simple' tics. They should abate; if they don't, then you should definitely see your doc. Hope you're better soon.

Thanks,

Andrea

Old 06-19-2004, 10:54 PM   #4

apinecone HB User

Strange, I got a deja feeling that there was something else about your question that I couldn't pin down. I think it's vouja vu, which is the future analogy of deja vu-- I think I will have been here before-- as you used the term "hypervigilance" and there's a sudden hypercaution about what it will hurt like this next time based on portent. It a pre-shock, seismic, jolt; + adrenalin overdrive to get out there extra fast, it can overdrive already tense or vulnerably weak muscles-- eyes are typical because they are your best proto-defense and hyper-tense; 'hunch' [as in hunch over] muscles, too, eg nape of neck going with the hair standing on end. Isn't that where adrenalin closest to originates from?
I think the annoyance might come from that it's annoying when something interferes with your sense of vision or muscular readiness, esp. visual: just when you really need your eyes and don't want to have to spend useful energy on a tic, that's when you get the tic, and in your eye of all places you really need at that instant. I remember in the military this was why guys would quick wipe their brow even when they weren't sweating because you really don't want salty sweat getting in your eyes at the most critical moment.

Old 06-21-2004, 07:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apinecone
Strange, I got a deja feeling that there was something else about your question that I couldn't pin down. I think it's vouja vu, which is the future analogy of deja vu-- I think I will have been here before-- as you used the term "hypervigilance" and there's a sudden hypercaution about what it will hurt like this next time based on portent. It a pre-shock, seismic, jolt; + adrenalin overdrive to get out there extra fast, it can overdrive already tense or vulnerably weak muscles-- eyes are typical because they are your best proto-defense and hyper-tense; 'hunch' [as in hunch over] muscles, too, eg nape of neck going with the hair standing on end. Isn't that where adrenalin closest to originates from?
I think the annoyance might come from that it's annoying when something interferes with your sense of vision or muscular readiness, esp. visual: just when you really need your eyes and don't want to have to spend useful energy on a tic, that's when you get the tic, and in your eye of all places you really need at that instant. I remember in the military this was why guys would quick wipe their brow even when they weren't sweating because you really don't want salty sweat getting in your eyes at the most critical moment.

This is interesting. Thanks, appreciate your input. My brother just recently passed away. He served Nam. And you? Thanks to the VA, they let him die in an ambulance. I went totally into shock over this, broke down.

Andrea

Closed Thread