It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2004, 01:33 AM   #1

Swalk HB User
PTSD what meds have helped you?

I have been dx with ptsd, I am now on Lexapro for over a month I feel no better, has anyone had success with other meds?
please let me know
thanks!

Old 06-26-2004, 07:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: PTSD what meds have helped you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swalk
I have been dx with ptsd, I am now on Lexapro for over a month I feel no better, has anyone had success with other meds?
please let me know
thanks!

what milligrams are you taking of the Lexapro? You might have to increase it. I'm taking Prozac and my Psych wants me to increase it but he has also said to feel it out for myself. Now I've been taking it for about 5 weeks and it's just starting to really help me. You need to give the medicine usually 6-8 weeks before you really feel and see a difference. What other meds are you taking? Are you taking any Xanax or Klonopin, valium, etc.? I notice I have to take a pinch of Xanax every now and then.

Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2004, 09:05 AM   #3

Swalk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainfante
what milligrams are you taking of the Lexapro? You might have to increase it. I'm taking Prozac and my Psych wants me to increase it but he has also said to feel it out for myself. Now I've been taking it for about 5 weeks and it's just starting to really help me. You need to give the medicine usually 6-8 weeks before you really feel and see a difference. What other meds are you taking? Are you taking any Xanax or Klonopin, valium, etc.? I notice I have to take a pinch of Xanax every now and then.

Andrea
I am on 20 mg and do take xanex as needed I have been on for 5 weeks.
I was thinking about switching to prozac, do ou think it helps?

Old 06-26-2004, 11:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I am on 20 mg and do take xanex as needed I have been on for 5 weeks.
I was thinking about switching to prozac, do ou think it helps?
Prozac is helping and it is an old drug that was number 1 for awhile. but they have so manyout now, including Zoloft for PTSD. Lexapro is a good drug and I know people who are on it and it works well for them. Give it a another week, if it doesn't do anything for you then, report this to your doctor and they will switch you. Are you feeling panicky or ancy or just plain ole depressed on Lexapro?

Andrea

Old 06-26-2004, 05:00 PM   #5

Swalk HB User

Quote:
Prozac is helping and it is an old drug that was number 1 for awhile. but they have so manyout now, including Zoloft for PTSD. Lexapro is a good drug and I know people who are on it and it works well for them. Give it a another week, if it doesn't do anything for you then, report this to your doctor and they will switch you. Are you feeling panicky or ancy or just plain ole depressed on Lexapro?

Andrea
I feel more anxious then depressed actually...

Old 06-27-2004, 08:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Swalk. Yes, that's my problem too. You have PTSD? My muscles feel weird, they twitch and left eye twitches at times, feel trembly, my fingers tremble, but I'm much better than I was. When you say you feel anxious, what do you mean, jumpy, nervous, angry?

Andrea

Old 06-27-2004, 01:22 PM   #7

Swalk HB User

Quote:
Hi Swalk. Yes, that's my problem too. You have PTSD? My muscles feel weird, they twitch and left eye twitches at times, feel trembly, my fingers tremble, but I'm much better than I was. When you say you feel anxious, what do you mean, jumpy, nervous, angry?

Andrea

Hi
I dont have any twitching, I mostly feel like I cant breathe when I have anxiety attacks, how long have you been dealing with this?

Old 06-27-2004, 06:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hi
I dont have any twitching, I mostly feel like I cant breathe when I have anxiety attacks, how long have you been dealing with this?
I've been dealing with it for a long time. But it recently came upon me again after the shocking news about my brothers death, thanks to the VA Hospital. I also had a severe car accident over 2 years ago and then of course the trauma when I was a kid. What about you? How long have you been dealing with PTSD? I get the twitches cause I was getting panic attacks on top of panic or anxiety attacks that left my body pretty sensitized. Also I'm going through the pre-menopause phase. LOL

Andrea

Old 06-27-2004, 08:24 PM   #9

Swalk HB User
Unhappy Re: PTSD what meds have helped you?

Quote:
I've been dealing with it for a long time. But it recently came upon me again after the shocking news about my brothers death, thanks to the VA Hospital. I also had a severe car accident over 2 years ago and then of course the trauma when I was a kid. What about you? How long have you been dealing with PTSD? I get the twitches cause I was getting panic attacks on top of panic or anxiety attacks that left my body pretty sensitized. Also I'm going through the pre-menopause phase. LOL

Andrea
Im really sorry to hear about your brother.
Well I have recently been dx with ptsd, eventhough Im fighting my therapist on that, haha. I have just severe anxiety, I have dealt with some depression in my life but I had a baby 8 months ago, when I had to go back to work I was just soooo sad, so she said at first post partum, but talling more to her she thinks its ptsd, I did not have a very nice/safe childhood, which is sad most of us here have not.

Old 06-28-2004, 07:00 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Im really sorry to hear about your brother.
Well I have recently been dx with ptsd, eventhough Im fighting my therapist on that, haha. I have just severe anxiety, I have dealt with some depression in my life but I had a baby 8 months ago, when I had to go back to work I was just soooo sad, so she said at first post partum, but talling more to her she thinks its ptsd, I did not have a very nice/safe childhood, which is sad most of us here have not.
Hi Swalk. Yes, Postpartum can be hard for some women. Because of your childhood, we never really get to work it out the right way, and you probably do have PTSD, and that's okay. You can overcome it, I have in the past. Is yor therapist good? Are you comfortable with him/her?

Andrea

Old 06-28-2004, 10:17 AM   #11

Swalk HB User
Talking Re: PTSD what meds have helped you?

Quote:
Hi Swalk. Yes, Postpartum can be hard for some women. Because of your childhood, we never really get to work it out the right way, and you probably do have PTSD, and that's okay. You can overcome it, I have in the past. Is yor therapist good? Are you comfortable with him/her?

Andrea
I have met with therapist before and never gone past 3 visit's I like the one I am with she makes me feel very comfortable and Ive been seeing her for several months and have really opened up to her, it does make me feel better to tell someone all my "secrets"

Thanks for your words, it gives me hope!

Old 06-28-2004, 10:17 AM   #12

Swalk HB User

Quote:

Andrea
I have met with therapist before and never gone past 3 visit's I like the one I am with she makes me feel very comfortable and Ive been seeing her for several months and have really opened up to her, it does make me feel better to tell someone all my "secrets"

Old 06-28-2004, 10:17 AM   #13

Swalk HB User

Quote:

Andrea

Old 06-28-2004, 05:49 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm glad you are happy with your therapist because that's what's going to help you heal faster. So how are you doing today? How were you diagnosed with PTSD?

Andrea

PS Are the meds working better for you today. If not, please tell your doctor so he/she can find the right one for you. They are basically done by trial or error, if it's not working then he/she can switch you.

Andrea

Old 06-30-2004, 08:46 PM   #15

Swalk HB User

Quote:
I'm glad you are happy with your therapist because that's what's going to help you heal faster. So how are you doing today? How were you diagnosed with PTSD?

Andrea

PS Are the meds working better for you today. If not, please tell your doctor so he/she can find the right one for you. They are basically done by trial or error, if it's not working then he/she can switch you.

Andrea

I am doing ok, how are you?
After having my baby and going back to work I just could not function so I went to see this therapist thinking I have post partum but Ive had depression and anxiety off and on for 8 years. So she said that since I have a history its probaby a lil more than ppd. Which makes sense, when she mentioned ptsd, she said I would bet some bad things happened to you as a child, and I said Yes they did..... so that is how.
How about you? how long since you were dx? are you in therapy and what has helped you?
Ive really just never dealt with it and I guess I need to so I can move on in my head.

Closed Thread