It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2004, 11:39 PM   #1

lola7 HB User
nightmares...

hi, im new to this board...dont even know if im in the right place..

ive been dealing with some problems for the past couple years, but very recently a problem that i thought was gone had reappeared...

five years ago i was raped- and beaten up pretty bad- for a long time i didnt tell anyone, eventually i dealt with it, and basically, i feel that im ok now, and its in the past...(my therapist of course disagrees, but i really think it does not matter to my life anymore) anyway, for about a year after it happened, i would have nightmares every time i slept. then it pretty much stopped, until about a week ago.
i suppose this could have been triggered by stress- im sort of in the middle of a very very tough couple of weeks, and i guess it just "came back"....so weird, cause i thought that it was just "gone"..

i have problems sleeping, i go days at a time with no sleep at all (thats a whole other story, im dealing w/ trying to fix it) when i do manage to sleep, its only for very short times. but all of a sudden, these vivid nightmares have come back. it seems like such an understatement, but the experience of being the victim of a very violent sexual assault was just so, so scary..i mean, these dreams are so real. last night, i woke up to my roommate trying to calm me down..she said i was screaming, and i scared the heck out of her....

will this go away once these tough few weeks are over? or is this back? i know there isnt a clear answer, but i dont know what to think....i dont even want to take any meds to help me sleep, because i am terrified that i will just wake up after an hour, shaking and drenched in sweat...

if anyone has any suggestions, i'll be up..

thanks
*ash

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2004, 06:25 AM   #2

Kalar HB User
Re: nightmares...

Sounds like you've unconsciously suppressed the terror of the attack. That's not surprising. It's a safety mechanism our psyche uses to protect itself from what it perceives is a threat to its integrity. It can do this without our conscious awareness. Problem is it tends to stay stuck and can flare up as it has in your case when you're going through other stresses. It has to be flushed out.

It's my opinion that ordinary doctors and psychiatrists can't deal with this type of thing. I've mentioned in other threads about hoemopathy. It's probably gonna start sounding like a broken record. Homeopathy is, among other things, 'vibratory' and 'harmonic'. It can help to release that trauma if you're ready to let it go. Homeopathics literally saved my life....no question about it.

I highly recommend that you get this handled as soon as you can before the fear associated with that event starts creeping into other areas of your life. In my case, the tenticles started spreading over time to the point that I became scared of everything, including my own shadow. It took a long time to work through all of that. It can also cause physical problems. The psychic energy used to keep that body memory at bay weakens your whole system.

Good luck!

Kalar

Old 06-27-2004, 11:43 AM   #3

apinecone HB User
Re: nightmares...

kalar, I think that's very good advice. + lola7: I have traumas going back over 50 years, starting with having my kneecap sewn back on without medication while I was being held down on my kitchen table. Then there was the day I limped out to see how my dog was doing in the garage in the alley and found him dead with blood around his mouth from having eaten dog food with ground glass in it. There are all kinds-- a lifetime more. There's all different and linked together but some are passed over during retriggering, although the mind will get to re-charging what connections it can and they'll go off like in a bag of microwaved popcorn. POP!!--pop ----pop pop------POPPOW--....
Each time the chain gets recalled, it goes off but you're mind also activates it's honorary Men in Black memory eraser thingie and you skip over a bunch but they can go off any time. Biochemicals related to adrenalin and cholamines and others can mimic traumatic triggers and then the chain can reactivate. If a stress arises and hangs around for a while and you happen to be in a nervous/worried/hypersensitive phase of your life, it can be intensified and elongated, recurring and escalating, esp as you get panic/anxiety buildup. Sux. But when the mind is ready to unbag one of these festering beauties it seems to know when that is, so maybe it will do it whether you want to or not. Have support on hand and learn as much as you can about how to re-integrate it with as little harm to yourself as possible. Perhaps you should do some homework at this point, since you might be able to identify what level of resurgence you're in. I can't give a URL or copy text on this article but you should be able to search on Neurological Basis for the Theory of Recovered Memory. Best regards-

Last edited by apinecone; 06-27-2004 at 11:49 AM. Reason: reference check

Closed Thread