It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2004, 02:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Any women on this board notice with PTSD...?

Hi ladies, if there are any, LOL Have any of you noticed that your menstrual or cycles have been effected by PTSD? I was gang raped, but that was many years ago and I'm in therapy at this time, so bringing up past issues has been an issue, LOL Anyways, I'm 45 and I'm in perimenopause, but wondering if you ladies find your menstrual or hormones a little harder to deal with after being violated, even if it was years ago?

Even though my past issue did not trigger my recent PTSD, I was traumatized by my brother's death and in a car accident two years ago, but it seemed when my brother died, all traumas have returned. My periods are weird, painful and I can't seem to stay balanced.

Andrea

Old 07-16-2004, 06:42 PM   #2
(female)

Sherry55 HB User
Re: Any women on this board notice with PTSD...?

although your question was a few months ago I am assuming you check in once in a while I can only tell you that menopause is difficult for your body and I have taken antideppresants for years and they seem to help with menopause

I had been diagnosed with depression but after meeting my boyfriend and researching
ptsd (because he was an abused child and in Vietnam) I realized my childhood created my ptsd and not just depression I have a mother with schizophrenia and a father who was a violent alcoholic who eventually went to prison for murder

I try to research health and psychological issues and theories and check out any info
that would help me and others I would suggest you try that

I know there are tests for hormone levels and they are relatively inexpensive and would
help you figure out if your hormone levels are normal

I realize all your trauma plays into your health also and there are other things to consider do you sleep well how is the stress in your everyday life do you have
close friends do you have an outlet for your emotions any hobbies
do you enjoy life I ask this because when we suffer loss it seems we lose the
everyday pleasures we once had and it becomes difficult to be our simple easygoing
self we lose ourself and it takes time to find ourself again

I recently have become interested in taking yoga there are things that help us get
in touch with ourselves and heal ourselves and yoga and exercise seem to help some people

Sometimes our pain is so great that it takes time to release it and deal with it so
that makes us more tense and uncomfortable and stressed

I hope I have been helpful and I hope you find some insights that will help you
deal with your pain and loss

Last edited by Sherry55; 07-16-2004 at 06:45 PM. Reason: clarification

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2004, 09:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Any women on this board notice with PTSD...?

Thanks. I am out and about,not like Iuse to, but getting there. Yes, I was big in yoga and exercising but since I went into Trauma, I hadn't been able to use my muscles right with the anxiety and all. I'm doing much better, just wanted to hear I wasn't out there alone. Thanks for your info.

Andrea

Closed Thread