It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2004, 05:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
What are some of you symptoms with PTSD?

Hello everyone. I would like to begin this post where we can share our mental and physical symptoms, maybe help one another out here on the board.

Hypervigilance
anxiety
sometimes trembles in my fingers
muscle twitches
sometimes eye twitches
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
anger
dreams, weird dreams
sometimes panic attacks
dizziness or feeling of off balance

These are some of my symptoms. Anyone else want to participate?

Andrea

Old 07-24-2004, 07:50 AM   #2

ScaredKitty HB User
Re: What are some of you symptoms with PTSD?

Well I have a whole mess of disorders, so Im not entirely sure if ALL of my symptoms are from my PTSD, but I do know its made a lot worse.

-Panic
-Anxiety
-Tons of new phobias - driving, tornadoes, fires, burglaries, bombs - just about everything actually
-flashback dreams, actually, flashbacks in general, usually come in dreams though
-Short temper
-Irritable bowel syndrome
-Irritability
-weird dreamy feelings, like Im not here, but I am.
-Insomnia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2004, 08:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredKitty
Well I have a whole mess of disorders, so Im not entirely sure if ALL of my symptoms are from my PTSD, but I do know its made a lot worse.

-Panic
-Anxiety
-Tons of new phobias - driving, tornadoes, fires, burglaries, bombs - just about everything actually
-flashback dreams, actually, flashbacks in general, usually come in dreams though
-Short temper
-Irritable bowel syndrome
-Irritability
-weird dreamy feelings, like Im not here, but I am.
-Insomnia

Sounds like PTSD to me. With PTSD, you will have quite a few anxiety symptoms since it is catagorized and anxiety disorder. I wouldn't be surprised if we also suffer generalized anxiety during our peak in PTSD. Since PTSD makes one so hyperviligant, this would cause us to be anxious most of the time. I've been working in some PTSD workbooks. I'm also afraid to drive, but I was also in a severe car accident a little over 2 years ago. I also look over my shoulder quite a bit since at a very young age I was violated twice. My brother recently died who also suffered from PTSD from war and that was a very traumatic death for me that it just heightened my PTSD once again.
Stay in touch.

Andrea

Old 07-25-2004, 12:04 PM   #4

ScaredKitty HB User

Im very sorry to hear about your brother and your accident.

Im not sure about my PTSD though. I've had 3 psychologists tell me I do have it, mine just didnt come from the usual. I was abused when I was younger, but the thing that sent me over the edge was my mothers death when I was 14.

It is traumatizing to wake up at 6 am to find your mother gushing blood all over and the police threatening to arrest her if she didnt go willingly to the hospital. And then to find she killed herself two days later after she talked her way out of the hospital. And I grew up watching her try to kill herself and to 2 am goodbye phone calls and afraid to leave the house ever since I can remember. I also watched her get abused. I just don't know if that can cause PTSD. Most of the things I've heard of that cause PTSD are more disasterous things, or violent things. Other than my abuse when I was young, I really only suffered emotional trauma. All though I read this

Psychological effects are likely to be most severe if the trauma is:

Human caused
Repeated
Unpredictable
Multifaceted
Sadistic
Undergone in childhood
And perpetrated by a caregiver

In an article about PTSD. And I have all but the sadistic one, so I suppose its viable. I've just always been iffy because I've had so many problems growing up. OCD, panic disorder, Anxiety, bi-polar, SAD etc. They didnt diagnose me with PTSD until after my mother died, and Im wondering if it didnt just make all my other problems worse. Or if I dont have my other problems but its all just PTSD? It's all so confusing.

Old 07-25-2004, 03:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow, you've been through alot too. My God, my prayers are with you. You will be okay by trying to not let it control your life. Sounds just like PTSD, what you have witnessed fits the disorder.
Stay in touch, that's what this board is for.

Andrea

Old 07-27-2004, 07:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

Hi Andrea, decided to come here. I was raised in an alcoholic family where there was much physical abuse. In addition, in the past several years I have had my mother, father, and best friend die suddenly. I had just spoken with them and when I called them later there was no answer. Had to go and find out they were dead. In the case of my father, the police called to say that he was dead. Now, when I can't get in touch with anyone, my anxiety rises. I guess this could be PTSD. Anyway, to answer your question:

IBS
anxiety 24/7
muscle pains and twitches ( I think it is cancer)
TMJ ( a brain tumor)
Hypochondria
Irritable bladder
Indigestion
Itchy skin
Chest pains and shoulder pains
Vivid dreams that affect my mood for awhile
Stress when I have to do something new or travel
Stress constantly

Old 07-27-2004, 09:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twanger
Hi Andrea, decided to come here. I was raised in an alcoholic family where there was much physical abuse. In addition, in the past several years I have had my mother, father, and best friend die suddenly. I had just spoken with them and when I called them later there was no answer. Had to go and find out they were dead. In the case of my father, the police called to say that he was dead. Now, when I can't get in touch with anyone, my anxiety rises. I guess this could be PTSD. Anyway, to answer your question:

IBS
anxiety 24/7
muscle pains and twitches ( I think it is cancer)
TMJ ( a brain tumor)
Hypochondria
Irritable bladder
Indigestion
Itchy skin
Chest pains and shoulder pains
Vivid dreams that affect my mood for awhile
Stress when I have to do something new or travel
Stress constantly
You sound just like me. According to what you've wrote, that sounds totally like PTSD. Are you in therapy? If not, you should be, it will help you, trust me, I'm there. And then of course, when you get your periods, this is where the abuse plays in hand, that's why you and I are having such a tough ride with this perimenopause.

Andrea

Old 07-27-2004, 10:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

Thanks for your reply. My husband has suggested therapy. How has it helped you? The other symptom that I forgot about was hypervigilance. I anticipate everything that can go wrong. In fact, my children ( actually, young men ages 27 and 31) kid me about it when they are going to do something. They tell me that they will watch for lions that may have escaped from the zoo. That's how bad it gets sometimes. I know that is from my childhood. Waiting for the alcoholic to come home ( maybe) and start his abuse. It's tough.

Old 07-27-2004, 12:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh I know it's tough! Yes, I'm always waiting lately for the abuse ex-boyfriend. I think the hyperviligance and the anxiety are the worse of it all. What do you think?

Andrea

Old 07-27-2004, 12:53 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, BTW, I forgot to answer your question related to therapy. It helps you by discussing the things that really bother you, it frees your mind and you understand anxiety and that it's not going to kill you. You begin to study and research your problem and then you begin to understand it even more. Eventually, you want to work CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy) with it so you can replace the negative and hyperviligance with positive and calming thoughts. It doesn't happen over night. It takes time, since it took time for it all to happen to you anyways.

Andrea

Old 07-27-2004, 01:41 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I agree with the anxiety and the hypervigilance thing being the worse. I always had it, but could keep it under control until I hit meno. Now it is out of control and I want to be at least the way I was before if not better. Being a child of an alcoholic, I did a lot of work with Adult Children, Inner child, etc. It helped a lot. However, I believe, with PTDS, the brain areas retain the abuse and react abnormally after that happens. Again, that is no excuse to not keep trying to feel better. I have heard, through these boards, that CBT does wonders. I would like to look into that.

Old 07-27-2004, 01:55 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twanger
I agree with the anxiety and the hypervigilance thing being the worse. I always had it, but could keep it under control until I hit meno. Now it is out of control and I want to be at least the way I was before if not better. Being a child of an alcoholic, I did a lot of work with Adult Children, Inner child, etc. It helped a lot. However, I believe, with PTDS, the brain areas retain the abuse and react abnormally after that happens. Again, that is no excuse to not keep trying to feel better. I have heard, through these boards, that CBT does wonders. I would like to look into that.
I would like to look into the CBT also.

Old 07-28-2004, 04:13 AM   #13
(female)

takeaguess18 HB User

Interesting thread, I thought I'd contribute (I have ptsd from childhood abuse and neglect, sexual physical and emotional):

Hypervigilance so bad I have to sit in the corner of rooms at all times.
Insomnia
Anxiety attacks (not often)
Adrenaline rushes where everything goes numb.
Nightmares
Bedwetting
Flashbacks
Nausea and dizziness when anxious or stressed
Fainting
Depression so bad I can't get up some days

I think that's about it. The hypervigilance is the worst because it's not-stop and it's so exhausting. I can't sleep, lectures are a nightmare because I'm surrounded by potential threats, sometimes even going out is just too dangerous.

Lori

Last edited by takeaguess18; 07-28-2004 at 04:15 AM.

Old 07-28-2004, 06:56 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh my God, Lori. Is there anything we can do on this board to help you through? I know about the hyperviligance, it happens to me too often. I can't even go out and begin a new relationship. I'm too afraid. I am in therapy are you? I'm sorry about your past. Besides, losing my brother and put me in shock and trauma, I also had a very severe car accident two years ago, a head on collision. This really makes me hyperviligance. I was abandoned by my father at 11 and had two gang rapes at 15 and then 17. So be it. We can't let this take over our lives. Have you tried CBT or any other kind of therapy? I originally posted this thread, I thought by posting our symptoms we could help one another, or at least vent about it.

Andrea

Old 07-28-2004, 11:39 AM   #15
(female)

takeaguess18 HB User

I try not to let it take over my life. I'm about to start my senior year in college studying biomedicine and I go travelling in my vacations. It's been a really tough year (most the symptoms started april '03) but I've been doing better since April and I went to New York for a fortnight with my best mate to reward myself (she knows all about it and really rocks with helping me in my bad moments). Things have gotten kinda bad again since I've been back (I'm back with my parents, never a good thing) and everything's been heightened by the "dangerous" environment. But I get to leave again for college in fall, so I'm focusing on that.

In the way of therapy, I used the college counsellors for about 8 weeks when it got unbearable. I'm due to start CBT when I go back (my primary physician is up there with my college). I hope it helps... I'm kind of worried they'll make me talk about things I find really hard to talk about.

Lori

Last edited by takeaguess18; 07-28-2004 at 11:40 AM.

Closed Thread