It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2004, 09:11 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Does anyone just blank out?

Just wondering if any of you get this blank out where they can't remember where they put things, or you put something somewhere it doesn't belong and then suddenly, ten minutes or so later, you can't remember putting it there and why is it there? Also, how about just blanking out, not remembering what you did moments before, just moments before?

Andrea

Last edited by ainfante; 08-03-2004 at 09:13 AM.

Old 08-03-2004, 12:40 PM   #2

Moms4 HB User
Re: Does anyone just blank out?

YES AND not being able to make decisicions and falling asleep when your helping kids with homework.and other things.
Are you getting any type of councling with some one who understands this problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2004, 02:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moms4
YES AND not being able to make decisicions and falling asleep when your helping kids with homework.and other things.
Are you getting any type of councling with some one who understands this problem?

Yes I am, thank you for asking. But through all the trauma I had, especially after the car accident, I just blank out at times.

Andrea

Old 08-03-2004, 05:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

Yes, this is becoming a common occurence. How about the cell phone in the refrigerator? I tore the house apart trying to find it. Something like this is common for me. I can't even remember my nephew's name.

Two years ago, I went back to college and got a BS degree in paralegal studies. I also received a high grade point average. Now I can't even remember my telephone number.

Old 08-04-2004, 08:41 AM   #5

Moms4 HB User

Mine was caused after a blow to the head in a car accident.Didn't have problems untill then.

Old 08-04-2004, 09:29 AM   #6

Tanki HB User

Andrea,

I cannot recall everything that has happened. When I went through my old stuff that i'd written down about the abuse from my ex I was shocked to read some of the stuff I wrote about it because I didn't remember it.

When we are ready to deal with certain things the memories will come back. Can't force them, in doing that you are really just pushing them further back into your mind.

This is common with people who have been through a trauma.

Old 08-04-2004, 01:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Mine was caused after a blow to the head in a car accident.Didn't have problems untill then.

Yeah, that's what happened to me but they didn't even diagnose until I went through trauma again after my brother died in February.

Andrea

PS I have a real good book for this, if you're interested.

Old 08-04-2004, 01:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twanger
Yes, this is becoming a common occurence. How about the cell phone in the refrigerator? I tore the house apart trying to find it. Something like this is common for me. I can't even remember my nephew's name.

Two years ago, I went back to college and got a BS degree in paralegal studies. I also received a high grade point average. Now I can't even remember my telephone number.

LOL, Twanger, I have the same problem, some of it is PTSD but it's also perimenopause, LOL

That's okay, I put things in the frig too or like yesterday, put the coffee where the coffee pot goes and then could't remember doing that after I did it. How about feeling a little looney? LOL

Andrea

Old 08-04-2004, 01:12 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanki
Andrea,

I cannot recall everything that has happened. When I went through my old stuff that i'd written down about the abuse from my ex I was shocked to read some of the stuff I wrote about it because I didn't remember it.

When we are ready to deal with certain things the memories will come back. Can't force them, in doing that you are really just pushing them further back into your mind.

This is common with people who have been through a trauma.

Thanks Tanki. Reading a good book by a Psychotherapist who was involved in a head on collision like myself and this book is great. She really explains the nervous system and trauma, and this goes for everything traumatic, not just car accidents cause I had more than that happen in my life.

Old 08-04-2004, 04:01 PM   #10

Tanki HB User

I have had car accidents but nothing life in death but for me going through one intersection gave me massive panic attacks i'd literally have to close my eyes.

Been through it all too, abuse mental, physical, sexual, verbal, emotional, as well as sexual assault and harrassement in the work place.

9 guys did stuff too me in the years of 1996-2001.

But i've been PTSD free for 4 months now, and came over a major hurdle in my recovery, I hope that stays that way.

Old 08-05-2004, 10:17 AM   #11

Moms4 HB User

Mine happened 11 years ago.Through two councelers and my church it was several years getting through it. I still am very cautious about things out of the blue and have mild panics but time seems to help and along with understanding.I am glad I am over that part Now maybe it will be easier to face menopause when it gets here shortly.

Old 08-05-2004, 02:32 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Mine happened 11 years ago.Through two councelers and my church it was several years getting through it. I still am very cautious about things out of the blue and have mild panics but time seems to help and along with understanding.I am glad I am over that part Now maybe it will be easier to face menopause when it gets here shortly.

I haven't had much luck through perimenopause with it. Hopefully you do! I'm glad to hear you've made it through the rough times.

Andrea

Old 08-13-2004, 08:41 AM   #13

Pandakaity5 HB User

Yes, I blank out a lot. Like in school this year on some tests I would all of a sudden forget what I was doing..

Old 08-16-2004, 04:11 PM   #14

zimnah HB User

I do that alot, and have since the original trauma. I have found more books in the freezer than I can remember (ha ha, no joke intended there!). I still find the remote in the bathroom (why, I do not know). I have a theory...I think that, even years later, there is a portion of our brain that is allotted to processing each new reaction to the original trauma. We would be able to remember WHY we thought it was crucial to put the car keys in the butter dish if this part of our brain weren't occupied with understanding PTSD, but, there you have it. I've just resigned myself to placing the freezer on my list of places to look if I lose my book...

Old 08-16-2004, 04:30 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimnah
I do that alot, and have since the original trauma. I have found more books in the freezer than I can remember (ha ha, no joke intended there!). I still find the remote in the bathroom (why, I do not know). I have a theory...I think that, even years later, there is a portion of our brain that is allotted to processing each new reaction to the original trauma. We would be able to remember WHY we thought it was crucial to put the car keys in the butter dish if this part of our brain weren't occupied with understanding PTSD, but, there you have it. I've just resigned myself to placing the freezer on my list of places to look if I lose my book...

LOL, not funny, but so funny!

Andrea

Closed Thread