It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2004, 12:43 PM   #1
(female)

girl3900 HB User
PTSD or not?

Earlier this year, I went on an antidepressant and suffered very, very bad side effects. The most serious one was thoughts of suicide. I would get images of me carrying it out...they played like a movie over and over. I've been off it now for about 4 months but the thoughts still scare me. I'm always worrying about acting on what I thought about and sometimes the images will start to play in my head again. I get very depressed because of this but my family and my doctor don't seem to understand the severity of what I went through. I don't know if they think i'm exaggerating for attention but it really gets me down and when I get depressed, it makes the situation worse because it feels like it could actually happen. I feel very alone because no one knows what I'm going through. It's been 4 months so why can't I be back to normal? I try to forget about the thoughts/images but they were burned into my brain. I'm not sure if i'll ever be myself again. Ironic how something that is supposed to help PTSD actually caused mine.

Old 08-09-2004, 02:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: PTSD or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl3900
Earlier this year, I went on an antidepressant and suffered very, very bad side effects. The most serious one was thoughts of suicide. I would get images of me carrying it out...they played like a movie over and over. I've been off it now for about 4 months but the thoughts still scare me. I'm always worrying about acting on what I thought about and sometimes the images will start to play in my head again. I get very depressed because of this but my family and my doctor don't seem to understand the severity of what I went through. I don't know if they think i'm exaggerating for attention but it really gets me down and when I get depressed, it makes the situation worse because it feels like it could actually happen. I feel very alone because no one knows what I'm going through. It's been 4 months so why can't I be back to normal? I try to forget about the thoughts/images but they were burned into my brain. I'm not sure if i'll ever be myself again. Ironic how something that is supposed to help PTSD actually caused mine.
I understand what you are talking about. The suicide is a part of depression or anxiety or both together. Anxiety will let you get things stuck in your head and it will stick there, but why not get a piece of paper and jot down everything you are feeling related to suicide. Just keep writing, to project, write for about 15-20 mintues anything that comes to you. Then re-read it and either keep it or throw it out. Do this every day for 4 days. Take the meds when you need them, cause this will help get alot of things out of your system.

Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2004, 02:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Also, what do you relate your wanting to commit suicide too? Were you raped, in a car accident, at war, any kind of trauma in your life or was in your life?

Andrea

Old 08-09-2004, 05:02 PM   #4
(female)

girl3900 HB User

I think you misunderstood me. I DON'T want to commit suicide, hence the reason for me being so confused with this.

The antidepressants are what caused the suicidal thoughts, not me. I've never had them before I went on the drugs. I do keep a journal and sometimes it helps but only so much. I'm asking if it's possible to have ptsd after taking them and having such a horrible experience?

Old 08-09-2004, 07:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I think you misunderstood me. I DON'T want to commit suicide, hence the reason for me being so confused with this.

The antidepressants are what caused the suicidal thoughts, not me. I've never had them before I went on the drugs. I do keep a journal and sometimes it helps but only so much. I'm asking if it's possible to have ptsd after taking them and having such a horrible experience?

It's possible, I guess. Why not ask a Psychiatrist?

Andrea

Old 08-09-2004, 09:27 PM   #6
(female)

girl3900 HB User

I have actually. 5 to be exact and no one knows what i'm talking about.

Old 08-10-2004, 01:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I have actually. 5 to be exact and no one knows what i'm talking about.
Possibly you should see a Chiropracter or Osteopath. These doctors deal with the whole. I don't know how else to help you.

Andrea

Closed Thread