It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2004, 12:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Has anyone here have/had experience with EMDR?

Would like to know if any one on this board had/or has experience with EMDR? My therapist is recommending it for me and was curious if anyone here had is done for PTSD?

Thanks, Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2004, 04:54 PM   #2

zimnah HB User
Re: Has anyone here have/had experience with EMDR?

Ah, yes...EMDR. By the way, I've been off for a while (work got too much and I avoided the computer like the plague). I, unfortunately, did not have a good experience with EMDR. It is really good for teaching techniques to deal with panic disorders, but PTSD works a bit different. In some cases, it can actually cause you to re-experience the trauma, and the chance of suffering more trauma, leading to more PTSD-like symptoms just by reliving (literally reliving) the trauma, is a chance I wish I had not gambled on. I went back to more traditional therapy, and am much happier. Depending on your trauma, you may have better luck than I did. All it did for me was to link my original trauma from when I was 7 to other traumas that occurred because the original made me an ideal victim. It's hard to explain, but I hope you get the point. Proceed VERY carefully, and make sure the therapist doing the ERMD knows where it could go, and can pull you out.
Good luck.
Zim

Last edited by zimnah; 08-16-2004 at 04:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2004, 05:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Has anyone here have/had experience with EMDR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimnah
Ah, yes...EMDR. By the way, I've been off for a while (work got too much and I avoided the computer like the plague). I, unfortunately, did not have a good experience with EMDR. It is really good for teaching techniques to deal with panic disorders, but PTSD works a bit different. In some cases, it can actually cause you to re-experience the trauma, and the chance of suffering more trauma, leading to more PTSD-like symptoms just by reliving (literally reliving) the trauma, is a chance I wish I had not gambled on. I went back to more traditional therapy, and am much happier. Depending on your trauma, you may have better luck than I did. All it did for me was to link my original trauma from when I was 7 to other traumas that occurred because the original made me an ideal victim. It's hard to explain, but I hope you get the point. Proceed VERY carefully, and make sure the therapist doing the ERMD knows where it could go, and can pull you out.
Good luck.
Zim
Wow, now I'm afraid. Well, I've had way too much trauma. Maybe this isn't such a good idea afterall. I'll speak to my Psych for he does EMDR and another person who I was recommended to.

Andrea--Thanks for the info.

Closed Thread