It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2004, 11:42 PM   #1

Christina42503 HB User
Reocuring flashbacks from PTSD...any help???

Hey, there. I'm a 21 year old college student and I was recently diagnosed with PTSD. In Aug. of 2002 my dad was killed in a very bad car accident while out of the country. He was the only one in the car who was killed. A semi truck merged into their car and pushed them over a guard rail and the car rolled down a steep bank 6 times. My dad was ejected from the car and died from a head injury. After flying his body back to the US we held a private family viewing and when I saw my dad's body I went into emotional shock. I had a severe panic attack which caused me to eventually pass out. To this day I can't remember a whole month after that day. About a year later I started having reocurring flashbacks about seeing my dads body in the room with only a sheet over him. He had large stitches in his head and they had not done a good job on his makeup. I also see something wrong with his eyes. I remmber every detail even the pictures on the walls of the room and what everyone wore that day. I never told anyone about these flashbacks. I thought they were nightmares and I felt silly being too old for nightmares. Then I started having them as often as 3 times a night and I developed a phobia of going to sleep. U can only imagine how difficult this was as I am attending college. I finally confessed these "nightmares" when my fiance convinced me to see a therapist after he noticed I wasn't sleeping at night but actually in the daytime when I was around people. I have also had problems with my memory and feeling like I'm always in a dream. I just feel very alone and while therapy does help a little I still cannot go to sleep. It's 2:45 in the morning now and I still feel very alone in all of this, as if there is something very wrong with me. I just thought I would put my story out there and see if there is anyone else who understands how I feel or anyone who has any suggestions. U don't know how much I would appreciate it.

Thanks so much,
Christina C.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2004, 02:22 PM   #2

Tanki HB User
Re: Reocuring flashbacks from PTSD...any help???

Flashbacks believe it or not is a part of healing , it means that you are ready to deal with the trauma.

Are you seeking any therapy for this?

I used to get alot of flashbacks in the form of a body memory, and recently they have started to go away after dealing with PTSD for 8 years... it's not an easy process, and it does take a long time. Talking about it will help you with the flashbacks, dealing with what happened to your father when he passed away, and if there is any guilt or shame because of what happened.

Talking about it with a professional will help. I have been seeing my psychiartist for 8 years now dealing with abuse issues, assault and rape issues as well as depression and anxiety.

It does help to talk about it, time does heal.. You will too.

Hang in there.

Closed Thread