It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2004, 10:47 AM   #1
(female)

jessica129 HB User
generalized anxiety after traumatic event

I recently suffered a very traumatic event in april of this year. I've went through the nightmares, depression, flashbacks, etc and they seem to be easing up, however, right now I'm suffering some of the worst anxiety I've ever had. I've always been an anxious person but never this bad. I seem to worry about EVERYTHING and I get super stressed out over the littlest things. I've been extremely dizzy lately because I hyperventilate so much. I'm taking xanax now but I don't want to be on it for awhile. I just want to know if this anxiety is due to what happened and if it'll pass soon. It seems as if all my worries are centered around what happened...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2004, 03:05 PM   #2

ScaredKitty HB User
Re: generalized anxiety after traumatic event

Are you recieving any kind of counselling? It sounds to me like your anxiety is due to what you experienced. I know all my anxieties, for the most part centre around the things I've been though, and things simmilar to them. I can't tell you if it will go away soon though. That all depends on how you're coping and dealing with things, and how far along you are with getting over it. To be honest, my anxiety has yet to go away even a bit, I'd maybe even say it's gotten worse as i find more things to be anxious about. And I've had anxiety problems since I was 7, due to traumatic events. But, in my case, I kept having things happen one after another. So thats probably why mines never gone away. Maybe someone else here will be able to tell you what to expect in that end of things. But I really think it all depends on you, and how fast and effeciently you're able to deal and come to terms with it. That said, don't rush it, because then you won't do a great job and all of it may seem to go away, but it'll just come back worse, and most likely at a bad time.

Take care, I hope you start to feel better

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2004, 05:19 PM   #3
(female)

jessica129 HB User

Thanks..Yes, I am seeing a therapist but he told me that unless I go on an antidepressant, he couldn't help me because I was too far gone

I've seen so many therapists in the last 4 months and none of them want to address the issue at hand. They always try to find something else that's wrong with me and completely disregard what happened. I don't like pill-pushing doctors so I'm probobly going to quit my sessions for good. Is it normal to be very stressed out following the 'incident'?

Old 08-25-2004, 10:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica129
I recently suffered a very traumatic event in april of this year. I've went through the nightmares, depression, flashbacks, etc and they seem to be easing up, however, right now I'm suffering some of the worst anxiety I've ever had. I've always been an anxious person but never this bad. I seem to worry about EVERYTHING and I get super stressed out over the littlest things. I've been extremely dizzy lately because I hyperventilate so much. I'm taking xanax now but I don't want to be on it for awhile. I just want to know if this anxiety is due to what happened and if it'll pass soon. It seems as if all my worries are centered around what happened...

Take the antidepressant if you can do it. I take Prozac, 10 mg. they want me to take more but I refuse to at this time. It will help with the anxiety. What kind of anxiety are you having? I'm dizzy in the morning, go through trembling, had panic attacks after panic attacks after my brother died traumatically, but I also had this undetected (PTSD) after a major car accident in 3/02. Let me know what you're feeling and we'll compare and I'll help you what helped me and vice versa.

Andrea

Old 08-26-2004, 03:13 PM   #5

Tanki HB User

If something traumatic happens to you then yes it does increase your anxiety. Anything that reminds you on the incident can bring on anxiety, the simple thought of it can bring on anxiety.

Are you talking to someone about this, learning different coping methods will help you with that and dealing with that particular event.

I know it's hard to deal with, talk about it, learn like I said different coping methods, you would not believe what wonders they can do...

Breathe when this is coming on, don't let your mind race with thoughts that will trigger you.... learn to ground yourself. ECT.

Old 08-28-2004, 07:10 AM   #6

ScaredKitty HB User

Its very normal to be stressed out and overly anxious following the incident. I also hate pill pushing doctors. For years I was diagnosed up and down with disorders. (borderline, schizophrenia, bi polar, OCD, SAD, etc etc etc) in the end it was settled on that I have manic depression, OCD, seasonal affective disorder, and social anxiety as well as PSTD. And my social anxiety is caused by the PSTD, and possible the seasonal affective disorder too, and my OCD as well. So really, I have bi polar and PSTD with other disorders as symptoms. But i was put on med cocktail after cocktail for years and I hated it. They couldn't figure out what was wrong, so they gave me medicine so it would just go away, or go into hiding, so they wouldn't have to make the effort to figure out what it was.

I recommend you keep your sessions up, but maybe switch your counselling. If you are seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist, they will try to diagnose you, and medicate you. I'm not sure what kind of event you suffered, but a lot of counselling is event specific, you just have to look for it. Theres greif counselling, sexual abuse counselling, etc. Try if you can, to see if there is counselling specific to your event, and you'll have much better luck addressing the issue at hand.

In the mean time, if you really are against taking anti-depressants (which i would recommend doing, but also keeping up counselling, they will make you feel better, but its CRUCIAL that you also get the issues dealt with, or they WILL come back eventually) atleast take something like ativan. Some sort of mild sedative, that will calm you down when you get anxiety attacks. They help so much, and you ONLY take them when you need to, so you're not constantly pumping chemicals into your body and feeling doped up. It lessens stress a lot. But if you're dead set against meds, atleast stick with counselling, you have to atleast talk to someone.

Even trying to find a chat room thats like this message board may help....while sticking with counselling. You will have other more experienced people to talk to, and willing to acknowledge your issue, and still get things professionally taken care of.

Good luck!!

Old 08-28-2004, 08:55 AM   #7

Tanki HB User

Seasonal Affective Disorder I have as well and is caused from the lack of sunlight in the winter months usually between the months of September-April.... Meds do help for SAD but light therapy is your best way to deal with this because if gives you the light you need to lift your mood without the UV just like sitting outside in the sun.

I also suffer from GAD, Clinical Depression and just recently recovered from PTSD.

Old 08-28-2004, 10:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanki
Seasonal Affective Disorder I have as well and is caused from the lack of sunlight in the winter months usually between the months of September-April.... Meds do help for SAD but light therapy is your best way to deal with this because if gives you the light you need to lift your mood without the UV just like sitting outside in the sun.

I also suffer from GAD, Clinical Depression and just recently recovered from PTSD.
I would imagine many other disorders would accompany PTSD. Just having that alone will cause you to have GAD, agrophobia, etc. It's very hard to go through PTSD without accompanying other disorders eventually, especially when it goes undetected for awhile and then finally caught, by then, you added more disorders, right?

Old 09-21-2004, 10:32 AM   #9

Tanki HB User

Jessica, for me GAD came hand in hand with PTSD and depression. I think they all are related to eachother.

Also not just because of my past with abuse and trauma but other situations we well that has made me anxious or depressed.

But when someone has to deal with that kind of stress related to a trauma its not uncommon to develop anxiety.

Old 09-21-2004, 10:33 AM   #10

Tanki HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainfante
I would imagine many other disorders would accompany PTSD. Just having that alone will cause you to have GAD, agrophobia, etc. It's very hard to go through PTSD without accompanying other disorders eventually, especially when it goes undetected for awhile and then finally caught, by then, you added more disorders, right?

What do you mean by "you added more disorders?"

I just realized I am repeating myself with the other post, I forgot that I replied to this already.

Closed Thread