It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2004, 12:53 PM   #1

deboraStewart HB User
Three Mitral Valve Replacements so far and more to come.

Dear all, I'm still quite new to this site and I hope to find the help I need in order to overcome such disturbing feelings. I've been having heart operations since the age of ten for I was a victim of rheumatic fever. A few months ago I got yet another echo done and there it was again, the valve has started to calcify, something I was well aware of, but not quite ready to hear. It felt as if my life was being somehow interrupted and I simply didn't know who to turn to for help. I then got my husband to research the internet for me since I'd never even dealt with a computer until then. He found out about one site that was very helpful but I wanted more. I really needed to get in touch with people who have gone through the same thing and hear of their experience and get advice. I finally found VR.com which has been a great and very supportive site too. But I still can't help feeling scared when I think of the next surgery and every time I have to go and see the cardio I feel as if he's going to say something bad for that has happened a few times before and I know very well what's in store for me. I could go on writing about all this but before I end up boring all of you to death, let me finish by saying that I'm very happy to have become part of this site too and hope you can tell me if I too might be going through PTSD due to what I've experienced. I'd also like to know the difference between someone who has been badly affected by some sort of traumatic situation he won't need to re live again, and someone like me, who has had to face the same thing so many times and will still need to do it again in the future. I'd appreciate your opinion and view point on the issue. Thank you.

Débora from Brazil

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2004, 05:16 AM   #2

deboraStewart HB User
Re: Three Mitral Valve Replacements so far and more to come.

Hello hummingbird and thanks for your reply. You're right, I've been in this situation long enough to know the pros and cons of these repeated surgeries, and the more I research the better I feel, even though some of the things I've read, aren't always so encouraging. Anyway, as for the rest of my health, I don't have any other problems, at least, as far as I know. I do have some emotional issues which have been taken care of so, I guess there's not much else for me to do but wait and see what comes next. Meanwhile, I'll go on with my life as best as I can and hope for the best when my time for surgery finally gets here. There's one thing I've always had in mind: When you can't beat your enemy, join him, and that's what I've been doing all these years

Débora from Brazil.

Old 09-01-2004, 07:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Hi Debora from Brazil. I can't respond to whether or not you have PTSD or not, I guess that would be determined by your doctor and whether or not you have experienced trauma beyond means with these surgeries. I will say in a book I'm reading by a doctor, that surgery in itself presents trauma. So by going through this over and over, yes I would say that you have and are experiencing trauma. I do wish you the best, my prayers are with you. God is the master here and your faith in him will determine your will and faith in yourself and the next surgery. God Bless You!

Andrea

Old 09-01-2004, 12:05 PM   #4

deboraStewart HB User

Hello Andrea, I hope you too are ok whatever reason you have to be part of this board. I know it's very hard to tell when someone is actually suffering from PTSD and I suppose there must be various degrees of the illness. Anyway, I feel ok most of the time and have adjusted to life with limitations. I've watched several documentaries on depression and all that stuff, so I think that I'm not that bad after all.Thanks for taking your time to write to me. Take care and stay in touch.

Débora from Brazil

Old 09-02-2004, 08:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Hi Debora. Well my PTSD comes from a variety of sources, mainly a head on collision I had back in 3/02, then my brothers death 2/04. But I've also been through alot when I was a kid. Anyways, I wish you the best with your next surgery and also staying in touch with you.

Andrea

Old 09-02-2004, 03:41 PM   #6

Pandakaity5 HB User

Well, I do not need any replacements, but I do have to deal with it everyday, because I have to go to school with the kid who caused my PTSD. Even though I am only 14, I have gone through this since I was 11. It is very difficult to deal with..and not fun at all. Just try to realize that this really could be the last time that you have to do anything like this. And I wish u best of luck!
Kaity

Old 09-09-2004, 12:45 PM   #7

deboraStewart HB User

Thank you Andrea and Kaity for your replies. I have been ok and I guess my anxiety must be due to my heart condition. I'm sorry to hear how much you've been though and hope you manage to overcome it. I get the odd palpitations here and there, but there doesn't seem to be anything serious with me. Let me know how the two of you are getting on.

Débora from Brazil

Closed Thread