It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2004, 02:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
People like me--reliving trauma!

Hi. Many of you have seen me here posting different subjects related to PTSD. I was in therapy yesterday and then had to wait around for my Psych for hours to see if he could practice EMDR on me but he couldn't. Hospital will not let him. So when I got home, Iworked in myworkbook on the car accident I had back in 3/02 and a little on my brother's death back on 2/11/04. AFterwards, I rested a bit then decided to go to bed in which I had dreams all night (not unusual for me) about anger, people I've been angry with in the past. I woke up this morning, very anxious almost as if I re-lived trauma again, feeling hypervilagent and mind racing, etc. Can anyone help me here, how to avoid trauma again?

Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2004, 04:45 PM   #2

Pandakaity5 HB User
Re: People like me--reliving trauma!

Hello
I hope that I can help you out, but what I think you might want to do something else, after you work on the workbooks. It might help get your mind off things a little bit, you could do something like watch a nice movie, or maybe read a book. Try not to read or watch anything that has to do with bad things. That is what my doctor told me, she said try to take all of the books, news, ect. away right before bed. And sometimes it can reduce the dream chances. Now, I have dreams too, but mine were about being murdered by the same kid that assaulted me. Sometimes it worked, and on really bad days, it didn't. Well, I wish you the best of luck with my advice, and hope that it works!
*~*Kaity*~*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2004, 05:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

You are so sweet. Yes, you are right, I work on these workbooks way too late for one thing and yes, I don't go and concentrate on something else, I either get on the computer and still discuss the same problems or I go to sleep and therefore I dream all night. I know how it is to be assaulted. I was raped twice when I was an adolescent and I'm now almost 46 and this makes going through perimenopause all the more harder. Anything else you can add, I would really appreciate it. I just can't be retraumatized, just can't. I would just flip. I also told myself it wasn't necessary anymore to relive the past, wasn't necessary to relive the car accident, my brothers death any of it, just find what's trapped in my nervous system and let it go. Wish it was as easy as saying it.

Thanks again,

Andrea

Old 09-02-2004, 07:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbirdkiss
I find myself wondering why you have workbooks about your traumas and why you are working in them. Perhaps that contributes to you reliving traumas.

I have been dealing with PTSD as well so that is why I am asking.
This was suggested by my therapist. Is there something wrong with it? Actually, after this morning's episode, I had a bit of a breakthrough.

Andrea

Closed Thread