It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2004, 03:03 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Any EMDR experience?

My therapist has recommended EMDR. Anyone here had any experience with it and how well it works?

Andrea

Old 10-02-2004, 12:24 PM   #2

dossydaisy HB User
Re: Any EMDR experience?

Hi

i had emdr following a hostage incident, it was done by a clinical psychologist and i found it really effective. At the time I was experiencing full on flashbacks and it helped these and with my hypersensitivity to noise etc. Cant say it sorted the depressive stuff out by i would recommend it. One word of caution however is that it does depend on how damaged you are as to whether to try it, as it can trigger lots of other stuff off which may be better left alone.

Is there anything specific you want to know about the experience of it?

dossydaisy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2004, 03:19 PM   #3
(male)

sgt207 HB User

I had it several years ago - it seemed to have helped.

Old 10-08-2004, 07:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dossydaisy
Hi

i had emdr following a hostage incident, it was done by a clinical psychologist and i found it really effective. At the time I was experiencing full on flashbacks and it helped these and with my hypersensitivity to noise etc. Cant say it sorted the depressive stuff out by i would recommend it. One word of caution however is that it does depend on how damaged you are as to whether to try it, as it can trigger lots of other stuff off which may be better left alone.

Is there anything specific you want to know about the experience of it?

dossydaisy
I think u answered it. I was afraid that it would bring issues back that don't need to be brought back, but what if this is good, i mean what if these other issues are buried in my sub-conscious and they do need to be brought out by emdr, wouldn't it help my future?

Old 10-12-2004, 11:28 AM   #5

dossydaisy HB User

Hi again,

i suppose it could be a good thing but it may be that you need to tred carefully, or need to do some other work first.....ask yourself the following questions
1. am i ready
2. do i trust my therapist
3. do i have faith in my therapists ability to put me back together
4. how honest have i been with self and my therapist
5. how much do i want it
6. is there a better way

good luck and be careful

dossy.xx

Old 11-15-2004, 09:58 AM   #6

Marrisa HB User

Hey, I just posted a question about emdr too. My therapist likes to use it. It seems helpful. I've only done it a few times with headphones. The first time we did, I couldn't do it because she was too close to me and I felt freaked out. So she bought a headset. It seems very powerful. Make sure you trust the person doing it because for me it brings up a lot of emotions that I need her to be there for.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrisa
Hey, I just posted a question about emdr too. My therapist likes to use it. It seems helpful. I've only done it a few times with headphones. The first time we did, I couldn't do it because she was too close to me and I felt freaked out. So she bought a headset. It seems very powerful. Make sure you trust the person doing it because for me it brings up a lot of emotions that I need her to be there for.

yes, so this is what I am afraid of. I do trust my therapist and my psych, but I am afraid of the emotional trauma again.

Old 12-09-2004, 04:11 PM   #8
(male)

survivin HB User

i had it a few years ago for PTSD. i felt really good for about 12 hours, then every thing got really bad. that was the first and last session i had

Closed Thread