It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2004, 01:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aurora HB User
Possible PTSD?

Well this is kinda difficult for me to ask, cos I have read some of your threads and know you have all suffered very much. But I am wondering if some of the stuff I experience could possibly be due to PTSD.
Basically I have repetitive nightmares, as in it has gotten to the point where I will literally allow myself to only sleep two or three hours a night in the hope of not having the quality of sleep that will produce nightmares. One of the nightmares is definitely about something that happened to me ten years ago, as a teenager. I was raped. But its the other one which disturbs me more because it feels like I am remembering being so scared of something but I am not sure what. And then there is the fact that I have like a 'missing year' around the age of 7, its just ...not there. Like I know some if the stuff I did at that age, but only because I have been told this or that happened, in family conversations.
I am in therapy anyway for my anorexia - which may or may not have something to do with this. But I am getting to the point where the nightmares - well they feel like they are killing me. (melodramatic I know) Its just that I cannot allow myself to sleep, and go to extreme lengths to prevent myself sleeping. I have been feeling very low at some points recently and I am sick and tired of being so fatigued.
So I guess what I am asking is this...do you think it is PTSD and if so how do I bring the subject up with my therapist?
Thanks very much for taking time to read this.
I wish you all success in getting through your PTSD and laying your demons to rest.
H

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2004, 04:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User
Re: Possible PTSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora
Well this is kinda difficult for me to ask, cos I have read some of your threads and know you have all suffered very much. But I am wondering if some of the stuff I experience could possibly be due to PTSD.
Basically I have repetitive nightmares, as in it has gotten to the point where I will literally allow myself to only sleep two or three hours a night in the hope of not having the quality of sleep that will produce nightmares. One of the nightmares is definitely about something that happened to me ten years ago, as a teenager. I was raped. But its the other one which disturbs me more because it feels like I am remembering being so scared of something but I am not sure what. And then there is the fact that I have like a 'missing year' around the age of 7, its just ...not there. Like I know some if the stuff I did at that age, but only because I have been told this or that happened, in family conversations.
I am in therapy anyway for my anorexia - which may or may not have something to do with this. But I am getting to the point where the nightmares - well they feel like they are killing me. (melodramatic I know) Its just that I cannot allow myself to sleep, and go to extreme lengths to prevent myself sleeping. I have been feeling very low at some points recently and I am sick and tired of being so fatigued.
So I guess what I am asking is this...do you think it is PTSD and if so how do I bring the subject up with my therapist?
Thanks very much for taking time to read this.
I wish you all success in getting through your PTSD and laying your demons to rest.
H

Hello, Aurora!!!!

Hmmmmm! So, the fear of sleep that may produce nightmares...no wonder you don't want to sleep anymore. It's quite understandable,then! I would definitely talk to ....your therapist about it. Tell your T. just the way you have brought it up here, for the T. is the best one to say. SOMETHING is accounting for this lost year, and it bears delving into, no doubt. PTSD manifests itself in different ways, from depression, even to jumping at the slightest of noises. It can ruin the quality of ones life. And...so can lack of sleep! Please talk to your T. Aurora - they are the best at this sort of thing.

HUGS!!!!!!!!!!
Char

Old 11-05-2004, 10:49 PM   #3

disastermgmt HB User

I agree with Char. PTSD comes in a variety of spectres, including nightmares. Aggrivated assault of any kind, including sexual, becomes a personal violation. Every element of yourself gravitates toward this violation. Something that has been dreaded by your subconscious has become reality. You should be able to tell your therapist whatever troubles you. If you need to tell him/her out-right...feel free to do so. You can also try and segway into your problem as the dialogue progresses. I hope you are able to find solace and peace.

Old 11-06-2004, 01:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aurora HB User

Thanks Char and Disastermgmt!
I guess I just wanted to know if it was worthy of bring it up in therapy or not. I think I maybe am reluctant to actually go ahead and say it to her because then I know we will be discussing some pretty hard stuff, but then I guess thats what therapy is there to tackle.
Maybe if the end result is that I can have more than 3 hours sleep in a night without fear of the nightmares then it will be worth it.
Thanks for your replies,
hugs from H xoxo

Closed Thread